Writing script/addon to incrementally import iTunes ratings

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

tmchow

Writing script/addon to incrementally import iTunes ratings

Post by tmchow » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I've searched and posted questions about this, but looks like there is currently no way for MM to continually import iTunes ratings.

I still want to use iTunes as my primary music manager due to some integration scenarios I need, but will use MM for tag editing/management. MM currently only does iTunes ratings import after first-run, but never again after that. I need ratings in both places because I use both iTunes and Windows Media Center in my home and not having syncrhonized ratings is killing a bunch of scenarios for me.

What I ideally want to write is an addon/script that will:

1. keep track of what ratings were previously imported
2. scan new tracks, and writing out ratings from iTunes XML to POPM field

This way, as I get/rip new music and add to my library via iTunes, I can still rate everything in iTunes but periodically open up MM then have the ratings written out to POPM tags.

Question: Is this type of addon even possible?

nohitter151

Re: Writing script/addon to incrementally import iTunes ratings

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:29 pm

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

tmchow

Post by tmchow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:10 am

Unfortunately I don't think that helps. That script is about pushing ratings to iTunes, not importing them.

I could avoid writing a script for this if there was a way to trigger the initial iTunes rating import. From what I can tell, once it's run there is no way to re-run it again.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:22 am

Actually with that script you can import and export ratings and playcounts between MM, iTunes and your ipod device.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

tmchow

Post by tmchow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:24 am

nynaevelan wrote:Actually with that script you can import and export ratings and playcounts between MM, iTunes and your ipod device.
thanks for the tip.. I didn't read the thread closely enough then. When i installed the script, it was completely confusing what it was doing. It looked like it only exported. I'll dig into it further.