[SOLVED] Install location of MediaMonkey

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Melloware

[SOLVED] Install location of MediaMonkey

Post by Melloware » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:53 am

For my MonkeyTunes plugin I have written an installer to install into my plugin into MediaMonkey. It uses some clever tricks to find out where your Program Files are located etc. However some users install MediaMonkey in like D:\MediaMonkey.

Is there any registry entry or any way to find out where MediaMonkey was installed? This way I can make my installer bullet proof.
Last edited by Melloware on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!

rovingcowboy

Re: Install location of MediaMonkey

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:29 pm

i remember a old vbs script add in for another program. gambit made the code. it used a get or if then function type of code that would check the listed locations in that little code. which were the program files folder on c drive.
then c drive with a blank directory and the name of the program looking for including the 3 letter extentsion.
and then the last one was a blank drive and directory which made it look any place on the user's system.
it looked like this (" :\***\*** ") or something like that. either the ** or ... to give the script free hand at looking for it.

does that make any sense for what you need. i think that as i said was a old vbs code. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Have you considered using a MediaMonkey installation package?

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Mmip
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Melloware

Post by Melloware » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:50 pm

nohitter151 wrote:Have you considered using a MediaMonkey installation package?

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Mmip
I had considered that but I am not sure if I wanted to invest that much time as I need to do some custom tasks in my installer such as ...

1. Run netsh to punch holes through Windows Firewall for UDP 5353 and TCP 3689. (Installer script must run at Admin level to do this)

2. Install my object in the registry since it is a COM object. (also admin function)

Maybe I can make it all work using an MMIP, need to research a little more! Thanks for the suggestion.
Melloware Inc.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 am

I do (2) in a number of my scripts, Vista won't even allow many simple scripts to install without admin rights anyway, so I think most people do this automatically now. You could even put a message box at the beginning of the installation script to warn that if they are not running as administrator then it may fail.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

fizzjob

Post by fizzjob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 am

Melloware wrote:For my MonkeyTunes plugin I have written an installer to install into my plugin into MediaMonkey. It uses some clever tricks to find out where your Program Files are located etc. However some users install MediaMonkey in like D:\MediaMonkey.

Is there any registry entry or any way to find out where MediaMonkey was installed? This way I can make my installer bullet proof.
Try pulling it from the registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Media_Monkey_is1\InstallLocation
On a 64-bit machine, that key will in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft... instead. Should be fairly simple to check both locations and use whichever one exists.

Melloware

Post by Melloware » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for everyone's help! For now I will use FizzJob's suggestion of looking in both spots in the registry and use one that is found. I will test on my Vista64 and my XP32 machine to make sure it works!

Thanks!
Melloware Inc.