Genre scripts for tracks

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Turtle

Genre scripts for tracks

Post by Turtle » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:16 am

Hi.

I have two genre script requests.

a) Allmusic saved genre/styles for artists. Is it possible to write a script which saves this information for some selected tracks from different artists (like a Sampler)?

b) Allmusic and Discogs saved genre/styles also for albums. If i select some tracks from different artists could a script get the needed album and the genre for each track? With album i mean the album from the artist where the track is from (if exists), not the sampler!

So far i used Mp3tag to get the genre for the tracks of an album from an single artist. But i don't want a genre like 'misc' or 'Rap/Pop/Techno/Blues/...' for the tracks of my samplers.
javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Best regards,
Turtle

mattisse

Post by mattisse » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:44 am

Hello Turtle,

you can use the Web Sources Tagger component to import genre tags from allmusicguide/discogs.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi mattisse,

with the Web Sources Tagger i can only search for 1 album or 1 artist at the same time i think.

If i select some tracks from different artists and search with "Discogs Artist" i get an error.

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:34 pm

For Web Sources Tagger, it doesn't matter that you select tracks from multiple artists. Just as "Auto-Tag From Amazon", it is an album-based tagger and will only get the search text (e.g. artist or album) from the first track.
You might get an error using the "Discogs Artist" web source, because the artist you look for isn't known by Discogs. That's just how this web source works. Other web sources have a friendelier way to let you know that no result has been found.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:50 am

Thanks Steegy.
For Web Sources Tagger, it doesn't matter that you select tracks from multiple artists. Just as "Auto-Tag From Amazon", it is an album-based tagger and will only get the search text (e.g. artist or album) from the first track.
Thats why i'm asked for 1 or 2 other scripts. I have to many samplers in mediamonkey to get the genre for every track myself. And i don't want the same album-genre for every track of a sampler.

I want something that finds the genres from multiple artists at once.
Or with discogs, finds the genres for multiple tracks by finding the artist albums for the tracks at once.

Example:

Sampler (Pop): 1. Beatles/Let it be 2. Bob Marley/Buffalo Soldier

Selecting this 2 tracks i want to get the genres from Beatles (Rock) and Marley (Reggae) from allmusic.
Or with allmusic or discogs, to find the albums 'Let it be' and 'Confrontation' where this tracks a orig. from and get the genres from this.
But i want not the genre Pop from the sampler.

Thx

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:30 am

You say that if you've got a track selected you want to know which album it's from - most artists have tracks which appear on multiple albums, that's why you need to select all the tracks so you can work out which album this track belongs to.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 am

Ok let me explain it in a different way.

What i know:
- Allmusic has the genre attribut for artists and albums
- Discogs has the genre only for albums
- With the "Web Sources Tagger" or "Auto-Tag From Amazon" i can get the genre (and other attributes) for 1 to X tracks of the same album

What i want:
- Selecting tracks of a sampler (different artists) OR tracks of different albums and get the genres (semi)-automatic in one process
+ Finding for each track the artist genre (allmusic)
+ AND/OR finding for each track the album(s). If exists more than one album with different genres for a track -> let me select the right one

My questions:
Is there a script or tool that this does?
Is it possible to develop?
Is anyone willing to do this?

Thx

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 am

It's probably possible via a script, if you can get at the data in a suitable format, but unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to do this myself. Hopefully another scripter will take up the challenge for you.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm

That's what I've been waiting forever for. An artist based AMG mass tagger. Can the current album based tagger be modified?

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Where do you suppose to find the correct track-based info? Any REAL and concrete sources for that would be nice.?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:58 am

Well, I don't have album info for most of my tracks. It would be great if a tagger could find the earliest album from AMG that contained the track but I would be happy if it just looked up the track's artist from AMG and tagged it with that artist's genre, style, mood and decade.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:38 am

The trouble with AMG, as far as I can see, is that you have to parse the HTML which is never as reliable as being able to use a web service, such as the audioscrobbler ones.