Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Crow25

Whitelist

Post by Crow25 »

My Whitelist

Genre =
Pop,Classic Rock,Alternative Rock,Pop Rock,Hard Rock,Progressive Rock,Punk Rock,Jazz,Soundtrack%=Soundtrack,Electronic%=Electronic,Instrumental,New Age,Ambient,Relaxing,Classical,Progressive,Indie,Punk,Mellow,Techno,Dance,ChilloutRomantic,Acoustic,Easy Listening,RnB,Funk,Soul,Vocal,Blues,Breaks,Smooth,Hip Hop,Disco,Piano,Alternative,Metal,Folk,African,Celtic,Grunge,Acid%=Acid,Rap,Ballad,Drum n Bass=Drum & Bass,Drum & Bass,Drum and Bass=Drum & Bass,Drum 'n Bass=Drum & Bass,House,Chorus,Post Rock,Club,Synthpop,Latin

Mood =
Battle,Angry=Battle,Sad,Moody,Fabulous,Lonly,Leftout,Great,Chilled,Mellow,Fun,Bored,
Depressed,Aggravated=Battle,Alone,Annoyed,Anxious,Calm,Crazy,Dirty,Drunk,Energetic,Enraged=Battle,Excited,Exhausted,Flirty,Frustrated,High,,Hyper,Jealous,Mad,Morose,Peaceful,Relaxed,Sleepy,
Weird,Comatose,Tranquil,Party,Driving,Surf,Gym%=Gym

Anybody got any other suggestions?
Crow25

Post by Crow25 »

I didn't quite understand the concept of a whitelist to begin with and I think i want to explain it just so people understand how cool this plugin is!

People put SO much stuff in their "genre" tag, the Last.Fm database has heaps of crap in it for a particular song such as the mood, date the music was made and even "seen live" or "songs i cry to". A whitelist enables you to limit all the crap that people put into the genre tag to a few select genres. 'An allow list'.

Because people also label their music according to mood as well, you are able to grab those moods and attach them to your own song collection. So suddenly you have a playlist of all your songs with a mood "sleepy". Which is fantastic because just before I go to sleep I put on this playlist.

C'mon people this is exciting stuff! Even if your really late, get on the bandwagon and help create a whitelist that will actually be practical. Mine, I'm quite certain could be written better. Has anybody got a working whitelist they want to share?

Post by Guest »

Can someone help me with settings?
I am running in Artist mode,,
Min match 1
Use top results 1

However I'm getting a lot of Genres that double up
Shows up like
Indie;Indie
or
Electronic;Electronic

I'm trying to find the best general way to get the Genres of the artists
What are the best stats?

I don't knwo how to tweak the values so they give the best results

Any thoughts would be appriciated
Collin
Collin

Re: Genre Finder 3.1 [MM2+3]

Post by Collin »

Help!
Ok, maybe it was my stupidity that did this
but I was using the genre finder with artist, and did one with a "various artists", tag
It changed ALL the various artists albums to what this one tagged as
is there a way to reverse it?
I have,, hundreds,,
and they are the hardest it seems to genre tag,, almost one by one

Is there a way to set it so it doesn't autotag everything of that artist ?
Or that it ignores various artists?

Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

There's currently no way to exclude particular artists, other than don't select them! Maybe using the confirmation screen in future would be a good idea! Unfortunately there's no way to undo this process, unless you've got a backup of your database you can revert to?

You might also find the "Only overwrite blank values" option useful, as this would stop you overwriting any existing values. You'd need to make sure that the tracks you wanted to process had blank values first though.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
baker

Post by baker »

Hi Trix, I installed this on a Vista PC with MM 2.52951 and get an Error#438 stating "The xml object has been lost" and that "Object doesn't support this property or method: 'itm.ArtistName". Works fine however on Win2K. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Bex

Post by Bex »

You're using a very old version of MM 2 (2.5.2). Try to update to the latest MM2 version 2.5.5 found here:
http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8811

But you should really upgrade to MM3. Not only because MM2 isn't officially Vista compatible but also due to it has tons of nice new features.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

If you let me know the line number that the error occurs on I'll get it fixed in the next version, but I agree that you should really upgrade, especially if you are on Vista! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
baker

Post by baker »

It occurs on line 432, column 8. I stuck with this version because it was the most stable for me, plus I don't like the humongous player in MM3. Thanks again.
justin_f

Re: Whitelist

Post by justin_f »

Crow25 wrote:My Whitelist
Anybody got any other suggestions?
Here's mine:

Genre: Rock,Pop,Indie,Indie Rock=Indie,Alternative,Alternative Rock=Alternative,Classical,Classic Rock,Electronic,Blues,Blues Rock,Hip-Hop,Hip Hop=Hip-Hop,HipHop=Hip-Hop,Rap,Balkan,Alt-country,AltCountry=Alt-country,Alternative Country=Alt-country,AlternRock=Alternative,Singer-Songwriter,SingerSongwriter=Singer-Songwriter,singersongwriter%=Singer-Songwriter,Singer-%=Singer-Songwriter,Singer Songwriter=Singer-Songwriter,Folk,Folk Rock=Folk,Folkrock=Folk

Mood: Sad,Tranquil,Mellow,Upbeat,Wild,Drunk,Sleep%=Sleepy,Melancholy,melancholy=Melancholy,Melancholic=Melancholy

Guest wrote:Can someone help me with settings?
I am running in Artist mode,,
Min match 1
Use top results 1

However I'm getting a lot of Genres that double up
Shows up like
Indie;Indie
or
Electronic;Electronic

I'm trying to find the best general way to get the Genres of the artists
What are the best stats?

I don't knwo how to tweak the values so they give the best results

Any thoughts would be appriciated
Collin
I get alot of doubled up genres, too. I don't know that there's a way to stop that, short of Trix making a change to the script. Either way, though, this is alot faster than having to go through and add all the genres on your own.
xpurityx

Pushing the Whitelist limit

Post by xpurityx »

So I found out the limit brought up in this post:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 59#p113451

as to what the Whitelist can hold. MediaMonkey will crash if the GenreFinder>Lists value in MediaMonkey.ini is over 2048 characters long. Unfortunately, the Whitelist I was trying to make was over twice that, so I had to used the * to use the entries already existing in my Genres table.

Here they are, and I know, I know. It is more than a mouthful, but it suits me very well. It took a very long time to widdle it down to that. I did a Top 5 GenreFinder search on 130,000+ songs, and narrowed my database down from what Last.fm spit out. It leans more toward electronic music, and the harder side of rock. I also allowed some location-based genres, but have been considering eliminating them... This should account for most genres and sub-genres, and even plenty of sub-sub-genres for those who are nearly as picky as I am.

00s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Acapella, Acid House, Acid Jazz, Acid Rap, Acoustic, Acoustic Rock, Alt-Country, Alternative, Alternative Metal, Alternative Rap, Alternative Rock, Ambient, American Idol, Americana, Anarchist, AOR, Arizona, Asian, Australian, Avant-Garde, Baroque, Bass, Bay Area, Beatbox, Beatdown, Bebop, Belgium, Big Band, Big Beat, Black Metal, Blackened Death Metal, Blackened Thrash Metal, Bluegrass, Blues, Blues Rock, Bossa Nova, Boston Hardcore, Boy Band, Brazilian, Breakbeat, British, BritPop, Brutal Death Metal, Buddhist, Buena Vista Social Club, C-Pop, California, Canadian, Caribbean, Celtic, Celtic Punk, Chicago, Chill Out, Chinese, Christian, Christian Hardcore, Christian Metal, Christian Metalcore, Christian Rock, Clarinet, Classic Country, Classic Rock, Classical, Classical Guitar, Club, Comedy, Composers, Country, Country Pop, Covers, Crossover, Crunk, Crust, Cuban, Dance, Dancehall, Danish, Dark Ambient, Darkpsy, Darkwave, Death Metal, Death Punk, Death Rap, Deathcore, Dirty South, Disco, Doom Metal, Downtempo, Dream Pop, Drone, Drum & Bass, Drums, Dub, Dutch, East Coast, East Coast Rap, Easy Listening, EBM, Electro, Electronic, Electronica, Emo, Emo Violence, Emocore, European, Experimental, Extreme Power Metal, Female Fronted Metal, Female Vocalists, Finnish, Flamenco, Florida, Folk, Folk Metal, Folk Punk, Folk Rock, French, Funk, Fusion, G-Funk, G-Unit, Gangsta Rap, Garage Rock, Gay, Geek Rock, German, Glam, GOA, Gore Metal, Goregrind, Gospel, Gothenburg Metal, Gothic, Gothic Metal, Gothic Rock, Greek, Grime, Grindcore, Groove Metal, Grunge, Guitar, Guitar Virtuoso, Gypsy, Hair Metal, Hard Bop, Hard Rock, Hard Trance, Hardcore, Hardcore Punk, Hardcore Rap, Hardstyle, Hatecore, Hawaiian, Heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, Hip Hop, Honky Tonk, Horror Punk, Horrorcore, House, Humor, Icelandic, IDM, Indian, Indie, Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Industrial, Industrial Metal, Instrumental, Instrumental Hip-Hop, Instrumental Rock, Irish, Island, Italian, J-Pop, Jam, Jam Band, Jamaica, Japan, Japanese, Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Jazz Hop, Jewish, Jungle, K-Pop, Korean, Krishnacore, Latin, Latin Jazz, Latin Pop, Latin Rap, Living Legends, Lo-Fi, Lounge, Male Vocalists, Mash Up, Math Rock, Mathcore, Medieval, Meditation, Mellow, Melodic Black Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Melodic Hardcore, Melodic Metal, Melodic Metalcore, Melodic Punk, Metal, Metalcore, Minimal, Mod, Modern Country, Moshcore, Motown, Native American, Neo Soul, Nerdcore, New Age, New Country, New Jack Swing, New Jersey, New Orleans, New School Hardcore, New Wave, New York, New Zealand, Ninja Tune, Noise, Noise Rock, Noisecore, Norwegian, Nu Metal, NWOBHM, NYHC, Oi, Old School Death Metal, Old School Hardcore, Old School Hip-Hop, Old School Punk, Oldies, Oldies Vocalists, Opera, Outlaw Country, Parody, Piano, Polish, Political, Pop, Pop Punk, Pop Rock, Positive Hardcore, Post-Grunge, Post-Hardcore, Post-Metal, Post-Punk, Post-Rock, Power Metal, Power Pop, Power Violence, Progressive, Progressive Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Progressive Trance, Psychedelic, Psychobilly, Psytrance, Punk, Queensbridge, Queercore, R&B, Ragga, Rap, Rapcore, Rasta, Reggae, Reggaeton, Rock, Rockabilly, Rocksteady, Roots Reggae, Russian, Salsa, Samba, Scottish, Screamo, Shoegaze, Singer-Songwriter, Ska, Ska Punk, Skate Punk, Slow Jams, Sludge, Smooth Jazz, Soft Rock, Soul, Southern Rap, Southern Rock, Spanish, Spanish Guitar, Speed Metal, Spoken Word, Stoner Rock, Straight Edge, Street Punk, Strings, Surf Rock, Swedish, Swing, Symphonic Black Metal, Symphonic Metal, Synth Pop, Technical Death Metal, Techno, Tex-Mex, Texas, Thrash Metal, Thrashcore, Trance, Trip-Hop, Trumpet, Turntablism, Twee, Two-Tone, Underground Hip-Hop, Underground Rap, Vegan, Video Game Music, Viking Metal, Vocal, Vocal Jazz, Vocal Trance, West Coast, World, Worship, Wu-Tang, Youth Crew, Zen

Once the duplicate genres issue described above is fixed, I will also be adding the following translations to my Whitelist:

%Screamo=Screamo,2 Tone=Two-Tone,A Capella=Acapella,A Cappella=Acapella,Acoustic Guitar=Acoustic,Anarch%=Anarchist,Avant%=Avant-Garde,Bashment=Dancehall,Brasil=Brazilian,Brazil%=Brazilian,British%=British,Buddhism=Buddhist,Canada%=Canadian,Chill=Chill Out,Chillout=Chill Out,Crust Punk=Crust,Deathrash=Death Punk,Deathrock=Death Punk,Dnb=Drum And Bass,Doom%=Doom Metal,Drone%=Drone,Drum N Bass=Drum And Bass,Drummer=Drums,Drumming=Drums,Euro%=European,Female Vocalist=Female Vocalists,Glam%=Glam,Grind=Grindcore,Hip Hop=Hip-Hop,Hiphop=Hip-Hop,Indiepop=Indie Pop,Indie-Pop=Indie Pop,Jamaican=Jamaica,Japanese=Japan,Jew%=Jewish,Korean%=Korean,New Jersey%=New Jersey,New Orleans%=New Orleans,New School Hc=New School Hardcore,New York% = New York,Nu-Metal=Nu Metal,Oldschool% = Old School%,Piano Rock=Piano,Political%=Political,Pop-Punk=Pop Punk,Pop-Rock=Pop Rock,Posi=Positive Hardcore,Posicore=Positive Hardcore,Post Grunge=Post-Grunge,Post Hardcore=Post-Hardcore,Post Metal=Post-Metal,Post Rock=Post-Rock,Punk Rock=Punk,Punkrock=Punk,Punk-Rock=Punk,R And B=R&B,Rnb=R&B,Rock And Roll=Rock,Rock N Roll=Rock,Ska-Punk=Ska Punk,Straight-Edge=Straight Edge,Surf=Surf Rock,Synthpop=Synth Pop

Trix, thanks again for this awesome script, hope you can find the time to look into the duplicates resulting from translations. Here are some steps to reproduce:

Genres in database - Punk, Rock, Political
GenreFinder options - Run mode: Artist, Use top results: 5, Genre | White | *+Political%=Political
Song - No Paradise by Anti-Flag, empty Genre field
Results - Change To: Punk; Political; Rock; Political (this one comes from translating 'Political Punk' to 'Political')

Hope that helps, thanks! Sorry for the long post :o
xpx
justin_f

Re: Pushing the Whitelist limit

Post by justin_f »

xpurityx wrote:So I found out the limit brought up in this post:
Hope that helps, thanks! Sorry for the long post :o
xpx
Wow, nice list. I'm gonna have to steal some of your genres off of their :) . Quick question:
I did a Top 5 GenreFinder search on 130,000+ songs
What exactly did you do here? Were you searching in your library?

Justin
xpurityx

Post by xpurityx »

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I have a continuously growing library of songs with about 200,000 at the moment. To get a really comprehensive Genre list, I scanned a 1TB drive's worth of music (about 130,000 songs), and slowly but surely let GenreFinder tag the Genres, using the "Use Top results" option set to 5. Once that was done for all the tracks, I went through and eliminated redundant and one-off genres. Now I have my Whitelist that I can use to apply to any future scanned tracks.
istanbul

Post by istanbul »

What a great script!

Here are my whitelists:

Genre (results in approx. 90 categories):

Adult%=Adult Contemporary,Afro%=Afrobeat,Alt-country=Alt Country,Alt Country,Alt Singer Songwriter=Singer-Songwriter,Alternative,Alternative Country=Alt Country,Alternative Dance=Dance,Alternative Electronic=Electronic,Alternative Pop=Pop,Alternative Rock,Ambient%=Ambient,Americana,Art Rock,Ballad,Blues%=Blues,Bossa Nova,Brit%=Britpop,Cabaret,Chamber Pop,Chill%=Chillout,Classic Rock%=Classic Rock,Contemporary Jazz,Country%=Country,Cover%=Cover,Dance%=Dance,Disco,Downtempo,Dream%=Dream Pop,Dub%=Dub,Easy Listening,Electro%=Electronic,Emo,Experimental%=Experimental,Fado,Feelgood,Folktronica,Folk%=Folk,Funk%=Funk,Garage%=Garage,Glam%=Glam Rock,Goth%=Goth,Grunge,Gypsy%=Gypsy,Hard Rock,Hip-Hop,Hip Hop=Hip-Hop,House,Comedy=Humour,Hum%=Humour,Indie,Indie Folk,Indie Pop&=Indie Pop,Indie Rock%=Indie Rock,Indie Electronic,Indietronica=Indie Electronic,Instrumental%=Instrumental,Jazz%=Jazz,Latin,Lo-Fi%=Lo-Fi,Lounge%=Lounge,Metal,%Soul=Soul,New Wave,Noise%=Noise,Nu-jazz=Nu Jazz,Nu Jazz,Party%=Party,Piano Rock,Pop%=Pop,Post-Punk=Post Punk,Post Punk,Post-Rock=Post Rock,Post Rock,Power Pop,Progressive%=Progressive,Psych Folk,Psyche%=Psychedelic,Punk,Punk Rock=Punk,RB=Rnb,R&B=RnB,RnB,Rap%=Rap,Reggae,Rock%=Rock,Shoegaze%=Shoegaze,Singer%=Singer-Songwriter,Ska,Slowcore,Soft Rock,Soul%=Soul,Synth%=Synth Pop,Techno%=Techno,Trip%=Trip-Hop,Twee,Vise,Vocal Jazz,Ethnic=World Music,World%=World Music,Tango

Mood:

Atmos%=Atmospheric,Happy,Chill%=Chill,Energetic,Fun,Gentle,Groovy,Sad,Tranquil,Mellow,Upbeat,Wild,Drunk,Sleep%=Sleepy,Melanchol%=Melancholy,Moody,Lonely,Bored,
Feelgood,Introspecitve,Ironic,Lively,Morose,Playful,Quiet,Reflective,Romantic,Soft,Soothing,Sophisticated,Summer%=Summer,Autumn%=Autumn,Spring%=Spring,Winter,Uplifting,
Wild,Desperate,Intimate,Bittersweet,Bright,Calm,Comatose,Comforting,Confident,Dark,Depressing,Elegant,Emotional,Enigmatic,Dreamy,Giddy,Hypnotic,Aggressive

Nationality (for one of the custom fields - selection biased by my own music collection, classifies approx. 95% correctly):

Norw%=Norway,Amer%=USA,USA,Swed%=Sweden,Sver%=Sweden,Finland=Finland,Finnish=Finland,Danma%=Denmark,Denma%=Denmark,Danish=Denmark,Canad%=Canada,Japan%=Japan,Brit%=UK,Eng%=England,Scot%=Scotland,Ir%=Ireland,Fran%=France,French=France,German%=Germany,Deuts%=Germany,Rus%=Russia,Austral%=Australia,Portug%=Portugal,Brazi%=Brazil,Argent%=Argentina,New Zealand,Belgi%=Belgium,%netherla%=the Netherlands,Holland=the Netherlands,Dutch=the Netherlands,Icelan%=Iceland,New York=USA,Chicago=USA,California=USA,Cuba,Texas=USA,Seattle=USA,Austin=USA,Kansas=USA,New Jersey=USA,Florida=USA,San Francisco=USA,Philly=USA,Philadelphia=USA,New Orleans=USA,Georgia=USA,Baltimore=USA,Seattle=USA,Portland=USA,Oregon=USA,Brooklyn=USA,Spanish=Spain,Spain=Spain
AliZ

Error filling occassion

Post by AliZ »

I get the following error message if I try to fill the field occassion with one or with multiple tags:

Error #438 - ....
This object does not support this property or method: 'itm.occassion'
File: ....GenreFinder.vbs", Line:0, Column:0

Any suggesstions?
Running MM3 v3.0.3.1183 on Vista SP1.

Thx
AliZ