Finding Similar Music?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Finding Similar Music?

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:48 am

I like using DJScrobbler when i want to listen to music because it finds similar songs to play.

Is there a script or some way to do something similar to build a play list. For instance say I love Morchebba and want to build a playlist of simiar music to put to an ipod or something. I would type in Morecheeba into a dialog and it would pull the top artists from Last.fm and then add a mix or all songs by those artists to a playlist called "Music Like Morcheba" or something like that.

Any thing like this already? Anyone got the know how and the interest to make it a reality?

RedX

Post by RedX » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 am

I could try to include it into the TopTracks scriptTeknjnky and i are developing.

But it might take some time ;)

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:38 am

It might actually be pretty simple to implement, have a dialog ask for artist name and max number of track, then add to either the now playing (you can then manually send them to a new playlist) or create a new 'more from %artist%" playlist in the playlist node.

edit: actually it looksl like you are asking for similar artists tracks instead of a single artist top tracks... as RedX mentioned that might be further along.

mattisse

Post by mattisse » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:19 am

Right now, you could use the great MonkeyRok script (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14494). It doesn't automatically build playlists, but there is an option to display a list of similar artists from last.fm.

You can click on the artist name and all the artist's songs in your DB are diplayed. All you got to do then is to send a couple of the similar songs to your playlist.

Maybe you can suggest the automatic playlist feature to trixmoto, the author of MonkeyRok. If he likes the idea, there is a good chance you'll see this feature in his script soon.

Balance

Post by Balance » Sun May 20, 2007 8:12 pm

MonkeyRok is working great! does just about everything i want. I started tweaking it a bit for more of my needs and its working out wonderfully. thanks for the heads up!

Balance.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon May 21, 2007 4:22 am

If you let me know what tweaks you are doing I can look at getting them into the main release (if they are not too specific of course!) :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Mon May 21, 2007 10:31 am

It's not related to MM, but MusicIP Mixer works by doing acoustical analysis and generates playlists of related music.

Try it out, the basic version is free but you can get extra/advanced features with the premium registration.

Balance

Post by Balance » Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 am

They were pretty specific Trix. I connect via SSH to my library at home while at work, so i stripped all but the similar artists part out for my work side install of MM. I also added links into the similar artist that links all artists directly to a popular torrent search site.

Post by Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 9:12 am

Dim scrape at the beginning of Event_OnTimer() then find the first line below and replace the following three with the following

Code: Select all

art = ele.ChildNodes.Item(3).Text
			  scrape = "http://scrapetorrent.com/Search/index.php?search="&ele.ChildNodes.Item(0).Text
			  scrape = Replace(scrape, " ", "+")
              If Not (art = "") Then
                str = str&"<br><a href=""javascript:void(goLink('"&art&"'));"">"&Translate("More information")&"</a>"
                str = str&" &#149; <a href=""javascript:void(goLink('"&scrape&"'));"">"&Translate("Scrape Torrent")&"</a>"
              End If                

Balance

Post by Balance » Tue May 29, 2007 9:16 am

Trix, I of course still would love a feature or a script that used this list of similar artists to build a playlist on command of all tracks by similar artists. based off the number of similar artists you've chosen to display in the MonkeyRok settings maybe. I started to toy with it but with little luck so far. Learning the mm sdk is pretty slow going right now. I've spit out a list of related artist songs that i have but that is it so far.