Recreate M3U 2.4 - Updated 25/10/2010

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

fuzzynavel

Re: Recreate M3U 2.4 - Updated 25/10/2010

Post by fuzzynavel »

Hello -

I was wondering if this script could import from a text file and then put the matches into MM search result window.

During the day I walk around and suddenly a song pops into my head. I edit a text file on my phone, which is sync'd with my home computer running MM. When I get home, I want to run this script on the text file and automatically have a list of the songs that I wanted to hear ready to go.

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but this script looks like the closest to what I am looking for...

Thanks!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well yeah, if you format the text file something like an M3U file then this script should build the list for you fine.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
fuzzynavel

Post by fuzzynavel »

Excellent - that's good news.

I played around with the script, and it seems like it is almost what I am looking for.

The script finds the text file easily enough. The format of the text file contains data that is various combinations of:

Artist Name - Song Title
Artist Name - Album
Artist Name
Song Title

So the script runs, and it finds some matches and builds a playlist that shows up in the MM tree under playlists.

however -

I'd like a script to put the results of the search in the main search results window of MM, so that way I don't have to drill down on the tree until I find the new playlist. And after running this script every day, I'm going to have a lot of playlists that I only use once - which is pretty messy.

What I'm doing now is manually going through the text file, searching for each item on the list, choosing the song from the results, and then once I finally have the playlist I like I just play the first song. It seems like a script could do a lot of this searching for me.

So is this the right script to be using? It sounds like it would need to be modified slightly (?) to work the way I want it. I'd be happy to pay you for your time if you would consider customizing the script for me.

Thanks!
djshaun

Post by djshaun »

I would think this could be easy, and im sure its been asked before, but, Is there a way i can select all m3u's to fix? right now i can only pick 1 playlist at a time. btw love the script its helping me tremendously
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The trouble with being able to select multiple is that it encourages you to be lazy. It encourages you to select 50 playlists, fix them all, and never actually check that the script has really fixed the playlist the way you wanted it to.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
William Watt

Post by William Watt »

This is fantastic thanks!
Liquidmetal

Post by Liquidmetal »

I was hoping that this script can build a playlist from a text file.

I have installed this script into the latest version of MM which is running on Win 7 Pro.

I want to create a playlist of the top 500 songs listed by Rolling Stone Magazine.

I copied and pasted this RSM list into Word 2010 and then saved the file as plain text file. The format of the list is:

Track Name - Artist

I ran this script and browsed to the RSM 500 text file and loaded the list into this script and viola it asks for me select tracks that it finds multiple times or there is a close match with the album name etc. After about a 100 such prompts and ok or skips later. The script states it has found 58% of the tracks.

I go the playlist node called RSM500 and voila... err... nothing.

Why? what have I done wrong? Please help.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That sounds odd. If you go to the file, does it have tracks in it?
Liquidmetal

Post by Liquidmetal »

Between posting and receiving your reply I redid the whole thing.

I deleted the playlist from the left pane ie the playlist nodes and rebuilt the list.

Again, nothing!

However, as you suggested I tried opening the m3u file from the source folder and upon double clicking it was opened in MM and started playing!

Then I noticed a list in the playing now pane and yes there are lots of tracks that match about 50% of the RMS top 500 songs text list I used to make the m3u file.

However, this pane was loaded via the double clicking and not when the playlist was created in MM.

Also the middle - main pane ie where it lists the artwork and the tracks and the pathway is devoid of any information - completely blank.

is this normal, in fact I find that other m3u files I have imported now have the same issues ie nothing loads up in MM?

I wonder if any of this makes sense and if it does I hope you can tell me what I have done wrong? Thanks.
thefaceman

Post by thefaceman »

I have downloaded the latest MM player and the latest Trixmoto scripts
Import m3u and Recreate m3u

Here are some issues I am encountering that I would appreciate help with (if anyone has the time)

Import M3U script

- When I import the playlist ALL of the listings are not recognized as matches in my database, even though the Artist and Title are the EXACT text as in the M3U file. The file IS in my database to be matched but when i click on the imported file in the imported playlist it turns GRAY a though it is do not exist. How can I fix this?

Recreate M3U script

- Seems to work better than import M3U, but
- It only allows ONE script to be imported at a time
- For those files that ARE NOT in my database it does NOT seem to list them in the playlist despite me having the 'list track' checkbox option checked

Basically what I want is to select my playlists in a folder and 'import' them again with the following rules

- Allow multiple playlists to be imported in one process
- ADD the any MISSING files as Artist - Title into the database, without having me to have to 'select' the correct match (as recreate m3u does). I will 'FIND' the correct file later, I just want to SEE in the imported m3u playlist which ones are NOT currently matched in the database.

Again I appreciate your time in advance
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

With regards to this script, you'll need to edit the script file to set the "Debug" variable to true, as the option does not appear on the dialogs. You'll need to create a logfile in order to give me more information to go off.
welby

Post by welby »

Hi - great script and very useful.

I tried running it against a text list and it worked with the exception it does not like artists names that contain "&"

such as BUSTA RHYMES & MARIAH CAREY

But works perfectly for BUSTA RHYMES and MARIAH CAREY

Apart from that very good and very useful!!!

Thank you
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I would have thought that should work, but I'll check it out and see what I can do.
gkime

Post by gkime »

i am using your script but it is not converting file location in my itunes library to my lossless mediamonkey library

any help would be appreciated
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Can you please open the "RecreateM3U.vbs" script file in a text editor (such as Notepad++) and then change "False" on line 28 to be True, like this...

Code: Select all

Dim Debug : Debug = True
Then if you run the script again, you should get a logfile in your %TEMP% directory - please can you post it or email it to me?