Magic Nodes 4.2 w/ 380 masks & real GUI (2011-07-01)[MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

willyvds

Speed up magicNodes

Post by willyvds »

I use MagicNodes a lot and am very happy with the functionality. However I find it very slow, sometimes even very very very slow.
Does anyone know what the bottle neck is? If I look at task Manager it seems there's not a lot of work going on.
Two questions in fact:
- can I change the masks to speed them up
- what should change in the hardware to improve the performance
Regards, Willy
ZvezdanD

Re: Magic Nodes 4.1.5 w/ 380 masks & real GUI (2011-06-22)[M

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:I too would like to have the nodes reside in their specific file types in the tree.
There is the new update, v4.2 - 2011-07-01:
* Added: possibility to place nodes into the Collections, MM filter option in GUI changed to Collection, nodes outside Collections cannot have applied MM filters, but only MN filters [MM4];
* Added: drag&drop with Ctrl key for nodes with multi-item fields;
* Fixed: renaming of nodes (modifying their caption) for multi-item fields.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
ZvezdanD

Re: Speed up magicNodes

Post by ZvezdanD »

willyvds wrote:I use MagicNodes a lot and am very happy with the functionality. However I find it very slow, sometimes even very very very slow.
Does anyone know what the bottle neck is? If I look at task Manager it seems there's not a lot of work going on.
Two questions in fact:
- can I change the masks to speed them up
- what should change in the hardware to improve the performance
Regards, Willy
Could you post:
1. what is your program and add-on versions;
2. how long in seconds/minutes is this "very very very slow";
3. how much tracks do you have in the Library;
4. how many sub-nodes approx. contains the mask causing the slowdown (10, 100, 1000);
5. do you have the same slowdown with all masks or only some specific (if only with some specific, you should post problematic mask here);
6. do you have the same slowdown always or depending of some condition (if it depends of condition, you should describe how to reproduce)?

Yes, of course you can change the masks. In fact, if you make them faster it is recommended that you send them to me, so I could include them into the next version of add-on.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
willyvds

Re: Magic Nodes 4.2 w/ 380 masks & real GUI (2011-07-01)[MM2

Post by willyvds »

In answer to your questions:
- I use MM 3.2.5.1306 and MagicNodes 4.2
- very very long is 4 to 5 minutes (note that indeed the mask does come with the expected results)
- library of 22000 tracks on a network drive
- I have made some tens of masks myself and 30-60 seconds is the average time; not very fast but acceptable
- example of a very very slow mask (5 minutes before I can see results on the lowest level): tracks without lyrics, subnodes = first character of the artist
Tracks without Lyrics|Icon:Top level|Filter:(<Lyrics> = '') AND (<Genre> <> "Klassiek") AND (<Genre> <> "Audiobook")|
Position:First child|Child of:Files to Edit\<Artist|Trim:1>\<Title>
- I think the slow masks are always slow, of course even slower when I am also doing other things with the PC
- the PC is rather old, running XP, but when I look at task manager MM doesn't seem to take a lot of resources
- I've checked the above timing without any other programs running

Regards, Willy
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

willyvds wrote:- example of a very very slow mask (5 minutes before I can see results on the lowest level): tracks without lyrics, subnodes = first character of the artist
Tracks without Lyrics|Icon:Top level|Filter:(<Lyrics> = '') AND (<Genre> <> "Klassiek") AND (<Genre> <> "Audiobook")|
Position:First child|Child of:Files to Edit\<Artist|Trim:1>\<Title>
Expanding of the node with that mask takes 1.62 seconds on my computer with 15000 tracks, selecting of that node is for 0.58 seconds. So, I think that you have some another problem with your computer. Maybe you have installed some another add-on which slowdowns the computer?

Anyway, you said that you could improve some existing masks and I am waiting for your solution. I would be really glad to include them into the add-on instead of the existing ones, if they are really faster.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

There are several ways to detect if Magic Nodes is a real reason for some slowdown. Firstly, you should open the Tools > Options dialog box and on the Magic Nodes sheet you should check "Allow editing of SQL queries:", "when expand field nodes" and "when select a field node". Then you should expand or select some Magic node and when you get the dialog box with the SQL statement, you should copy it (the SQL expression which you get when you select Magic node is just WHERE part of the SQL statement, so you need to add SELECT * FROM Songs in the front of the copied text).

Now, you have at least two possibilities:
1. install Bex's SQLViewer add-on, paste the copied SQL statement into its text box and click on the Run Select Query button;
2. start SQLiteSpy (no need for an installation, it has just one .exe file), open the MM.DB file, paste the SQL statement into its text box and press F9 or choose Execute > Execute SQL.

You could use any SQLite program instead of SQLiteSpy (e.g. SQLite Expert Personal), but it is the smallest, simplest and I think it is also the fastest. However, with any external SQL program you could have a problem with the collating, so maybe you would need to modify the SQL statement adding COLLATE NOCASE after each text field, which could be boring. Anyway, SQLViewer has not that problem.

If the copied SQL statement is executing much faster in some of the mentioned programs, then there could be some real problem with Magic Nodes.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote: * Added: possibility to place nodes into the Collections, MM filter option in GUI changed to Collection, nodes outside Collections cannot have applied MM filters, but only .
I've tried this feature and it seems to be creating a new "Music" node, my assumption was it would put the nodes into the MM Music node. Have I assumed incorrectly??

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:I've tried this feature and it seems to be creating a new "Music" node, my assumption was it would put the nodes into the MM Music node. Have I assumed incorrectly??

Nyn
I suppose you have created the node with <Group|Name:Music>, right? If you want to put some node into the MM built-in Music node you need to choose First child of - Library from the Position dropdown lists and Music from the Collection dropdown list.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:I've tried this feature and it seems to be creating a new "Music" node, my assumption was it would put the nodes into the MM Music node. Have I assumed incorrectly??

Nyn
I suppose you have created the node with <Group|Name:Music>, right? If you want to put some node into the MM built-in Music node you need to choose Library from the second Position dropdown list and Music from the Collection dropdown list.
Nevermind, I must not have rebooted when I installed yesterday, once I rebooted they were where I expected them to be, :oops: Now off to update 108 nodes.... :lol:

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

ZvezdanD, can I call on your genius once more please...

I tried to change this node:

Code: Select all

Lyrics messed up|Filter:Length(Songs.Lyrics) = 203 AND <Lyrics> Like '%...'\<Album artist>\<Album>
to find comments with 199 characters. I tried this:

Comments messed up|Filter:Length(Songs.Comment) = 199 AND <Comment> Like '%...'\<Album artist>\<Album>
But nothing shows up in the node. I have some comments that have been truncated to 199 characters.

Is there something wrong with the node I created?

Many thanks.

PS. You can ignore the following but the above is related to this thread: Album Art & Lyrics Tags Not Working [#8005] where nohitter151 pointed to the 'messed up lyrics' Magic Node here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 23#p195523
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

MM3 monkey wrote:I tried this:

Comments messed up|Filter:Length(Songs.Comment) = 199 AND <Comment> Like '%...'\<Album artist>\<Album>
But nothing shows up in the node. I have some comments that have been truncated to 199 characters.

Is there something wrong with the node I created?
Nothing is wrong with that node. Are you absolutely sure that comments are ending with "..." and they are 199 characters long including CR+LF characters?
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

Thanks, ZD. Sorry, I don't know what CR+LF characters are. I don't know how to include line-breaks, if that's what you mean.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

MM3 monkey wrote:Thanks, ZD. Sorry, I don't know what CR+LF characters are. I don't know how to include line-breaks, if that's what you mean.
Yes, CR is Carriage Return (&HD) and LF is Line Feed (&HA), two characters that are used in Windows to represent a new line in text (LF is used in Linux and CR in MacOS). Well, you have at least 3 ways to get the total number of characters of the comment. The first way is to count the number of lines in your comment, to subtract that value by 1 and to multiply with 2 and that value you should add to the number of characters. The second: you could copy comment from the Comment text box in MM, paste it in Notepad, save as file and see how long it is in Windows Explorer.

The third way is to install the RegExp Find & Replace add-on, select track(s) with the comment that you want to know how long it is, open Edit > RegExp Find and Replace dialog box and enter the following settings:
Find what: ^(.|\s)*
Into: whatever, e.g. Comment
Regular expression 1: checked
Replace with: Len(oSongData.Comment)
VBScript expression: checked

By the way, there is the forth method: select track(s), open the Edit > Auto-Organize dialog box and enter $Len(<Comment>) into the Destination text box - but it returns the number of characters without CR+LF which is not what you want.
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

ZvezdanD wrote:
MM3 monkey wrote:Thanks, ZD. Sorry, I don't know what CR+LF characters are. I don't know how to include line-breaks, if that's what you mean.
Yes, CR is Carriage Return (&HD) and LF is Line Feed (&HA), two characters that are used in Windows to represent a new line in text (LF is used in Linux and CR in MacOS). Well, you have at least 3 ways to get the total number of characters of the comment. The first way is to count the number of lines in your comment, to subtract that value by 1 and to multiply with 2 and that value you should add to the number of characters. The second: you could copy comment from the Comment text box in MM, paste it in Notepad, save as file and see how long it is in Windows Explorer.

The third way is to install the RegExp Find & Replace add-on, select track(s) with the comment that you want to know how long it is, open Edit > RegExp Find and Replace dialog box and enter the following settings:
Find what: ^(.|\s)*
Into: whatever, e.g. Comment
Regular expression 1: checked
Replace with: Len(oSongData.Comment)
VBScript expression: checked

By the way, there is the forth method: select track(s), open the Edit > Auto-Organize dialog box and enter $Len(<Comment>) into the Destination text box - but it returns the number of characters without CR+LF which is not what you want.
ZD, if there's a god, why didn't he make more people like ZD. Answer me that one, anyone! I'll do two of those options. First I'll divide and add; I use Notepad++ for the "wordcount". Then I'll confirm it in Reggie Exponential Fine and Dandy or whatever it's called.

What, you don't think I've got that script installed already? What am I, crazy?!
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

I mean subtract and multiply.