Request for a script: Last.fm-based playlist creator:Genius

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

cali

Re: Request for a script: Last.fm-based playlist creator:Genius

Post by cali »

That's my point. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to create a script like this; but we already have working scripts that can do partly what Genius can do. My idea was to send information to Last.fm (just like Last.fm DJ does) so Last.fm will send the track information. This could work in two ways:

1. For instance, you select one or a few artists, and the script can gather all the similar artists from Last.fm based on the artists entered, and it will generate a playlists or even better an autoplaylist can be kept updated. Right now, Last.fm Nodes can find this information but it can't generate playlists. Playlists would be the main concept for this concept.

2. Another way, would be using the Last.fm DJ script to add songs to a playlists based on the previous song. Just like Last.fm DJ, but instead of playing the song in the foreground, it would be adding the song to a playlist in the background. So even though the playslists could start with the Beatles and end up with Nina Simone, the progression would be very gradual.

The point would be to have these playlists available to be played offline or on a device. I watched part of Steve Jobs presentation and it seems that Genius sucks and since its point is to sell those songs, I imagine the most commercial songs will be pushed up to the top. A Last.fm-based playlists generator could do a much better job and could be Mediamonkey's alternative to Genius. Only better.
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
Galen

Post by Galen »

Hello Guys,

Ive registered on the forum to basically voice my support for this idea. I'm a paying MM3 gold member and absolutely love the product. I really, really do not like iTunes but with recently becoming an iPhone 3g owner i've had to install the damn thing. Generally i still dont use iTunes for anything other then the synching. However this Genius (tm) feature really has got me perked.

I'm aware there has been similiar solutions for MM script wise for sometime, and this is apple piggy backing on other peoples great ideas and concepts.... However, i can't fault how well this feature generated a quick and very effective playlist for me.

The idea of having an actual play list generated of similiar tracks is really appealing because it then becomes portable, and not just in the sense of portable devices.. it becomes portable for me to manually add to or trim as i see fit. To have the whole playlist visible without having to fire it at the end of each song is key.

Now, my apologies if there is a MM solution (script/plugin) wise that does this, but from my research so far, the solutions that are available were there first and do similiar things.. but not in this specific case of generating a playlist.

Thanks for the great product, and i hope that the collective brains of this community can come up with this feature in MM :)

Galen
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nohitter151 wrote:However, as far as a playlist creation feature goes, there is Similar Artists by trixmoto that creates a playlist from a track by comparing the author of that track to similar artists at Last.fm.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

nohitter151 wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:However, as far as a playlist creation feature goes, there is Similar Artists by trixmoto that creates a playlist from a track by comparing the author of that track to similar artists at Last.fm.

I am aware of this component and from my previous post i did mention that i had done research into the MM scripts available.
Admittedly, i felt the script fell short because its based around an artist comparison as opposed to a track comparison. However, i've tinkered with the settings a bit since your reply and am much more pleased with the results its giving now then from my initial tests.

As a programmer i can understand the complexities involved with a track comparison script... does anyone know if thats what Genius is actually doing?
Galen

Post by Galen »

sorry last post was by me, didn't notice i wasnt logged in
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:As a programmer i can understand the complexities involved with a track comparison script... does anyone know if thats what Genius is actually doing?
I'm pretty sure it works something like this:

:wink:

sourceminer

Post by sourceminer »

I have recently been looking for something like this. I have thousands of songs I cant seem to remember what song is what any longer.
I also agree that Media Monkey needs to have a script like this. Is there any update for something like this?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sourceminer wrote:I have recently been looking for something like this. I have thousands of songs I cant seem to remember what song is what any longer.
I also agree that Media Monkey needs to have a script like this. Is there any update for something like this?
Have you seen? I posted several times already a script which does exactly this. It is a last.fm based playlist creator.

cali

Post by cali »

Trixmoto's script is fantastic but it's not exactly what I had in mind. Similar Artists creates a playlist based on one single artist, the idea for the other script would be to populate progressively a playlist based on the previous track always, like Last.fm Auto-DJ does. But instead of playing the song, it would just add it to the playlist and use it to generate the next one, and that would generate the next one as well, and so on. That way, the playlists wouldn't be limited to a single genre, they would be more organic, an intelligent shuffle playlist if you wish.

LIke I said in a previous post, I'm not a coder but I imagine that the script could "trick" Last.fm DJ to think that the song has been played, so it would call the next one and add it to the list. It wouldn't create the playlist instantly but that wouldn't matter because they would be used off-line in an ipod or other device.
nohitter151 wrote:
sourceminer wrote:I have recently been looking for something like this. I have thousands of songs I cant seem to remember what song is what any longer.
Have you seen? I posted several times already a script which does exactly this. It is a last.fm based playlist creator.
Do you mean a script other than Similar Artists? Please, enlighten me!
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
Do you mean a script other than Similar Artists? Please, enlighten me!
No, but as you can see I meant to reply to sourceminer and not to you. If sourceminer has some problem with Trixmoto's script, I think all would find it helpful to hear why, exactly.