Sync The Sync v1.3 (11-09-08) [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MoDementia

Sync The Sync v1.3 (11-09-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

No Longer Available
Last edited by MoDementia on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 07-05-08 Version 1.1
' New Node "Tracks Not In Sync"
' Build Links Using Playlists (Options Sheet) Shouldn't need to use manual build table script.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' 12-05-08 Version 1.2
' OnTrackProperties always fires even if Write Tags or Sync The Sync Active is unchecked. (No processing if unchecked)
' No need to Restart MM when Options changed.
' Refreshing Main Tracks Window if write tags is not checked.
' Fixed Activate Sync The Sync on start up logic.
Benn

Re: Sync The Sync v1.2 (13-05-08) [MM3]

Post by Benn »

Hi there, nice script. I was wondering whether I can use it for a different reason: I'd like to keep different versions of tracks (Live, remixes etc) in sync with their "originals". So, for example, if I listen to a live version, then the play count of the original also increases?

Thank you for any help.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Technically it will work fine regardless of format or bitrate etc

However
All these fields are also kept in sync
Artist,IdAlbum,Album,AlbumArtist,SongTitle,Genre,Year,TrackNumber,BPM,Author,Rating,LastTimePlayed,PlayCounter,
Custom1,Custom2,Custom3,Custom4,Custom5,Copyright,Publisher,Lyricist,Conductor,InvolvedPeople,OrigTitle,OrigArtist
,OrigLyricist,GroupDesc,ISRC,RatingString,OrigYear,Tempo,Mood,Occasion,Quality,Lyrics,Comment,DiscNumber

Only the custom fields are optional

I'm also pretty sure there is a check on the title to see if you can actually set up the link
i.e.
Waterloo
and
Waterloo (Live)
or
Waterloo (Remix)
can't be linked.

So it would need some modification to handle your requirement :(
Benn

Post by Benn »

Yeah it doesnt recognise that "link". So theres no easy way of manually linking tracks?
MoDementia

Re: Sync The Sync v1.3 (11-09-08) [MM3]

Post by MoDementia »

New Version

' Made all Sync Fields optional (previously only custom fields)
' Option to ignore Title, Album, Album Artist check when Building from Playlists
' i.e. First Master Track linked to first Sync Track, Second Master Track Linked to Second Sync Track etc

Manual links can only be set up via playlist sets (right click option still has the title, album, album artist check)

All sync fields are initially set to "Original" intent fields.

This version adds significant user control caution should be used when changing default sync field options.

Although it is now possible to link any track to any other track the rules for syncing are global.
i.e. Some compromise will/may need to be reached on which fields are synced.
e.g
Waterloo + Waterloo (Live) + Waterloo (iPod version)
Title, Album, Album Artists should not be synced or Waterloo (live) Album Abba Live will become Waterloo Album Abba Gold
Which means that if you change Waterloo to Waterloo (Extended) the iPod Version will not have its Title updated and remain as just Waterloo

The image of the options sheet in the first post is an indication of which fields might be suitable for a combination of the above example.
Benn

Post by Benn »

Wow! Thank you so much MoDementia! That was very quick...
Benn

Post by Benn »

And it works like a dream. :D One question though: is there another way of making the linked tracks sync? At the moment I am playing the master versions, which, when they end, update the linked version with the revised playcount.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

The only time they will sync is when one of the tracks is updated

Hopefully you aren't using one of the custom fields
In the options make it a synced field
Select all the master tracks
change the custom field to 'a'
then change it back (hopefully unknown)

Any field will do it I hope you get the idea

Its hard (impossible) to do it within the script itself as the database is actually controlling the sync, the script only sets up the rules :(

PS only do 1-2 thousand tracks at a time just to make sure it doesn't freeze MM for to long and look like its not responding.
I did 20k at once had me worried but it worked :P

PPS your welcome, glad it does the job for you
Benn

Post by Benn »

Ahh I see, I shall do that :D. And I'm working with about 1500 tracks altogether so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again :D
shayguitarra

Post by shayguitarra »

Hi MoDementia,

You got me with the wonderful sales pitch in your forum signature. I've downloaded and installed the script but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm just being incredibly thick! :oops:

The way I understand it, this script creates a backup of converted files that updates whenever you change the metadata for the original. With the result that when you sync your ipod (or whichever) it doesn't have to reconvert the files all over again. This would be very good for me as I have a large number of files in flac that I convert to mp3 for my ipod.

Do I need to convert the files before synching and then the device picks up the converted format? Does this also mean that I need to set up a cloned playlist with exactly the same tracks to set up the relationships?

So for example: I have Revolver by The Beatles in FLAC. I set up a playlist called Revolver for these tracks. I then convert them to mp3 and call that playlist Sync Revolver. I can then set up the relationships as shown in your screenshot. I set up a filter to exclude the mp3s from my main library so it doesn't get cluttered. Then the next time I sync my ipod it somehow picks up on the converted files and transfers them instead of going through the whole auto convert process. When I resynch my ipod the master tracks have their play stats updated.

Am I more or less on the right track here or am I making things needlessly complicated.

If it does work in this way it will be a real timesaver. Any help would be greatly received!
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

You pretty much have it spot on
It takes a little bit to get your head around it hopefully this will clarify it a bit more
shayguitarra wrote: So for example: I have Revolver by The Beatles in FLAC. I set up a playlist called Revolver for these tracks. I then convert them to mp3 and call that playlist Sync Revolver. I can then set up the relationships as shown in your screenshot. I set up a filter to exclude the mp3s from my main library so it doesn't get cluttered. Then the next time I sync my ipod it somehow picks up on the converted files and transfers them instead of going through the whole auto convert process. When I resynch my ipod the master tracks have their play stats updated.
If you set up the options initially ie turn Sync The Sync on and tick Sync Conversions the Links will be generated automatically as you convert the flacs
So you won't need to create the master and Sync Playlists; this is only if you have converted your flac files before installing the script.

I recommend setting up seperate directories for the formats so the filter(s) are more transparent.
eg
...Music\Flac\Normal Structure
...Music\Converted\Normal Structure

Then you use Flac filter to play tracks via MM
and the Converted filter to sync your iPod and set up sync playlists

I hadn't thought of the need to duplicate playlists before as I only really have playlists that I sync
If they are auto playlists then its very easy to duplicate them, just add alternate filter criteria to each one.
if they are static playlists thats a bit of a pain sorry :(
shayguitarra wrote: Then the next time I sync my ipod it somehow picks up on the converted files
The duplication of playlists is the key so that only the MP3 tracks are synced.
The "somehow" is that you now sync the MP3s directly knowing that when the MP3's playcounter is updated (from synching) the flac tracks playcounter is also updated.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you need
shayguitarra

Post by shayguitarra »

If you set up the options initially ie turn Sync The Sync on and tick Sync Conversions the Links will be generated automatically as you convert the flacs
So you won't need to create the master and Sync Playlists
Perfect. I don't have any converted copies yet.
I recommend setting up seperate directories for the formats so the filter(s) are more transparent.
eg
...Music\Flac\Normal Structure
...Music\Converted\Normal Structure
I can do this by changing the path at the conversion and excluding this path (e.g. Converted\Normal Structure) from my library.
Then you use Flac filter to play tracks via MM
and the Converted filter to sync your iPod and set up sync playlists
There are mp3 files in my main library that I will want to synch directly. But I think I can set up the conversion filters to take account for this.
If they are auto playlists then its very easy to duplicate them, just add alternate filter criteria to each one.
I primarily use auto playlists so that should be no problem. :D
Recently I've been using the albums tab to synch my ipod, but I can just as easily select those albums within the auto playlist criteria.

Looking forward to giving it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Cool, it does take a bit of work to set it up but once its done it save hours in sync time :)

Use he Sync The Sync nodes to check your progress