Monkey Server 0.97 (2011-04-10) [MM3] w/Squeezebox Support

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

jednie

Re: Monkey Server 0.95 (2010-05-21) [MM3] w/Remote Control

Post by jednie »

nynaevelan wrote:I would like to add a wishlist request also. I would like the ability to Play Next, Play Last when using the Local Play feature. Unless I am missing it, I do not know if it is possible to select single songs when playing locally.

With the way it works now it isn't possible to send it to a particular position in the playlist using an external player. I plan on eventually including an embedded player in the template and at that point I should be able to include this functionality.

jednie
netphoenix

Post by netphoenix »

jednie wrote:I will try to include a first version of a mobile template in the next release. It will likely be a scaled down version that includes all data in a single column so there won't be any horizontal scrolling needed. The way it will likely work is that you will pick the template that you want to use on the login page and it will save a cookie to your browser so that the next time you login it will remember your previous setting.
That'd be slick. I like "down & dirty". Something simple & straight-forward.
jednie wrote:I hadn't thought of this before. I can see this tab containing a listing of all that genre's that meet the search criteria with columns called Artist, Songs, Albums that include a count of each item that includes this genre. Is this what you have in mind?
It wasn't what I was picturing, but I think it gets me what I "meant" a lot better than what I was thinking! :) If I understand you, that keeps a consistent interface also, which I like!
jednie wrote:I am not sure that I understand what you have in mind here. Are you thinking that a tab will be used to define the category and a cloud will be used to define a sub-category?
With a big database, multiple Genre's become visually messy to me. So I switched to a single Genre entry. Then, like allmusic.com does, I put sub-genre's (styles) into a different field that supported multiple entries.

An example of my current entries are:
Genre: Pop/Rock
Conductor: Hard Rock; Heavy Metal; Contemporary Pop/Rock; Hair Metal; Arena Rock; Country-Rock

This organization gives me a cleaner genre list to look at (instead of 100's of Genre's). I can then search for Artists that primary did Pop/Rock, but dabbled in Country-Rock. When I had everything stuffed in Genre, it worked fine for searches, but browsing just looked ugly with hundreds of Genre's :\

I'm thinking this would require a couple of configuration entries. Assuming Genre is changed as you described above, there would have to be the ability optionally "turn on" the use of the other multi-entry fields. So lets say that I'm going to turn on the "Conductor" tab. It could act exactly like the Genre tab above - UNLESS, I (through a second configuration entry) state that Conductor is sub to Genre. In that case, when I select the Genre Tab, I then get the "styles (Conductor Entries) with totals, and navigate downward from there. Of course any of the "little used" multi-entry fields we optionally turn on, needs to become searchable just like the other fields are. I think this would ad a lot of versatility, allowing some tayloring to how each of us deal with the extra meta-data we're all trying to squeeze in.

Another possibility is if someone wants R&B from the 60s. I would additionally designate the "Composer" field as a sub to genre. It would add yet another search field, and on the cloud side, it would add a "Composer" data to go with the "Conductor" tab. (I identify the active decades of the groups in the Composer field). I'm still considering how this would be presented on the screen.....

LOL and if you wanna tweak the mediamonkey developers, add the ability of us to rename these odd-ball fields we're finding a use for: "Composer <-> Style" and "Conductor <-> Active Years". <g> I just picture a lot of versatility for those of us that taylor our music library to this level.... (yeah... i have no life) :P
jednie wrote:Coming soon: SSL, RSS feeds, more context menu options and an improved album view.
Sounds great!
jednie

Post by jednie »

netphoenix wrote:
jednie wrote:I will try to include a first version of a mobile template in the next release. It will likely be a scaled down version that includes all data in a single column so there won't be any horizontal scrolling needed. The way it will likely work is that you will pick the template that you want to use on the login page and it will save a cookie to your browser so that the next time you login it will remember your previous setting.
That'd be slick. I like "down & dirty". Something simple & straight-forward.
jednie wrote:I hadn't thought of this before. I can see this tab containing a listing of all that genre's that meet the search criteria with columns called Artist, Songs, Albums that include a count of each item that includes this genre. Is this what you have in mind?
It wasn't what I was picturing, but I think it gets me what I "meant" a lot better than what I was thinking! :) If I understand you, that keeps a consistent interface also, which I like!
jednie wrote:I am not sure that I understand what you have in mind here. Are you thinking that a tab will be used to define the category and a cloud will be used to define a sub-category?
With a big database, multiple Genre's become visually messy to me. So I switched to a single Genre entry. Then, like allmusic.com does, I put sub-genre's (styles) into a different field that supported multiple entries.

An example of my current entries are:
Genre: Pop/Rock
Conductor: Hard Rock; Heavy Metal; Contemporary Pop/Rock; Hair Metal; Arena Rock; Country-Rock

This organization gives me a cleaner genre list to look at (instead of 100's of Genre's). I can then search for Artists that primary did Pop/Rock, but dabbled in Country-Rock. When I had everything stuffed in Genre, it worked fine for searches, but browsing just looked ugly with hundreds of Genre's :\

I'm thinking this would require a couple of configuration entries. Assuming Genre is changed as you described above, there would have to be the ability optionally "turn on" the use of the other multi-entry fields. So lets say that I'm going to turn on the "Conductor" tab. It could act exactly like the Genre tab above - UNLESS, I (through a second configuration entry) state that Conductor is sub to Genre. In that case, when I select the Genre Tab, I then get the "styles (Conductor Entries) with totals, and navigate downward from there. Of course any of the "little used" multi-entry fields we optionally turn on, needs to become searchable just like the other fields are. I think this would ad a lot of versatility, allowing some tayloring to how each of us deal with the extra meta-data we're all trying to squeeze in.

Another possibility is if someone wants R&B from the 60s. I would additionally designate the "Composer" field as a sub to genre. It would add yet another search field, and on the cloud side, it would add a "Composer" data to go with the "Conductor" tab. (I identify the active decades of the groups in the Composer field). I'm still considering how this would be presented on the screen.....

LOL and if you wanna tweak the mediamonkey developers, add the ability of us to rename these odd-ball fields we're finding a use for: "Composer <-> Style" and "Conductor <-> Active Years". <g> I just picture a lot of versatility for those of us that taylor our music library to this level.... (yeah... i have no life) :P
jednie wrote:Coming soon: SSL, RSS feeds, more context menu options and an improved album view.
Sounds great!
OK. I like where this is going. I think I could implement this level of customization by allowing the user to view a listing of each MP3 tag and select the following settings for each tag:

- Include field on tab
- Include field on cloud
- Multi-entry field (yes/no)
- Field alias - this is where you could customize the field name

BTW, a "drill-down" like feature will be included in the next release. The way it works is that the context menu will have have a 'New Search' item and a "Add to Search' item. When you click 'Add to Search' it will keep existing search criteria and append whatever it is that you click on to the criteria. For example, I could search for Frank Zappa and view a listing of his songs. I could then click on Jazz-Fusion genre in the cloud (I have added context menu to clouds) and select "Add to Search" and it will then only display Frank Zappa songs that are Jazz Fusion.

Thanks for the ideas,
jednie
netphoenix

Post by netphoenix »

jednie wrote:OK. I like where this is going. I think I could implement this level of customization by allowing the user to view a listing of each MP3 tag and select the following settings for each tag:

- Include field on tab
- Include field on cloud
- Multi-entry field (yes/no)
- Field alias - this is where you could customize the field name

BTW, a "drill-down" like feature will be included in the next release. The way it works is that the context menu will have have a 'New Search' item and a "Add to Search' item. When you click 'Add to Search' it will keep existing search criteria and append whatever it is that you click on to the criteria. For example, I could search for Frank Zappa and view a listing of his songs. I could then click on Jazz-Fusion genre in the cloud (I have added context menu to clouds) and select "Add to Search" and it will then only display Frank Zappa songs that are Jazz Fusion.

Thanks for the ideas,
jednie
Okee, I didn't make your head explode. But the trick is that Frank Zappa's Genre is "Pop/Rock". I have "Fusion" located in the sub-genre's located in "Conductor". :)

I would see myself browsing my Genre's and selecting "Pop/Rock". The system would then provide me a listing of all the sub-genre (Conductor) entries from which I'd then select "Fusion". I would then see all the artists that fit the two criteria.

A direct search would simply be searching on the name "Frank Zappa" in the Artist search field and "Fusion" in the "Conductor" search field. The cloud use would be irrelevant here IMO.

BTW I got a 3 a.m. wake-up when my daughter who lives -8hrs (timezone) away from me was trying out the "remote thingy". Could you possibly add an allow/deny button for that on the Users List??? :)

-Chris
jednie

Post by jednie »

[quote="netphoenix" Could you possibly add an allow/deny button for that on the Users List??? :) [/quote]

I actually added a user setting in the latest version called Remote Control that you can set to allow or disallow access to this feature for each user

jednie.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Jednie:

Two problems when using the Local Play by selecting a playlist:

1. It adds a playcount to all the tracks with a played time of when the playlist was selected.
2. The tracks are added to the now playing list with a different play order than when they are in the playlist.

Any chance these two things can be fixed?

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
rogerr

Post by rogerr »

jednie wrote:
rogerr wrote:I second the need for Genre. I don't use Mood or Occasions either. The cloud should be optional to save screen real estate.
If I made it optional what would I do with the extra screen space? I guess I could move the search fields around so that they are in multiple columns instead of all stacked on top of each other.

jednie
My suggestion was towards minimizing screen real estate for alternate devices such as iPhone and netbooks.
jednie

Post by jednie »

nynaevelan wrote:Jednie:

Two problems when using the Local Play by selecting a playlist:

1. It adds a playcount to all the tracks with a played time of when the playlist was selected.
I had to code it this way because when you play songs directly off your hard drive Monkey Server has no way of knowing if you have actually played them so it can only assume that you are going to play them. I know this isn't a great a solution but there isn't another way of doing it unless your media player can update the counts for you somehow. When you don't use the Local Play option Monkey Server streams the music to you and therefore knows when you have actually played the song. Monkey Server will wait until the end of a song is reached before updating the play count.
nynaevelan wrote: 2. The tracks are added to the now playing list with a different play order than when they are in the playlist.
This is definitely fixable. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

jednie
modtang

Post by modtang »

I was laying in bed this morning wondering if there was a server plugin for MM so I was pleased when I logged in here and saw there was. Very easy to get this working. I added MonkeyServer to my Windows Firewall exceptions but I still could not connect so I added the port I chose to use as a separate rule and everything worked beautifully. No port forwarding or anything needed in the router settings.

Thank you for this. It's going to make listening to music on my laptop so much simpler. :D
quint

Post by quint »

Great stuff! I'm just testing this remote out on my iPad but I experience somewhat small buttons to control with my 'fat' vingers. If that could be fixed .... I'm already picturing myself on the couch with my feet up ;-)
jednie

Post by jednie »

quint wrote:Great stuff! I'm just testing this remote out on my iPad but I experience somewhat small buttons to control with my 'fat' vingers. If that could be fixed .... I'm already picturing myself on the couch with my feet up ;-)

Thanks. I plan on including a "remote-only" template in the next release that will include larger buttons. If you want you could navigate to the C:\Program Files\MonkeyServer\Templates\default\files\themes\blue folder and increase the size of the buttons yourself to hold you over until the next release.

jednie
steelydan

Post by steelydan »

Great addon. Use it everyday at work.

Quick question: I understand that you are adding a mobile-template; but is there any reason why my blackberry is unable to access it at the current moment? When trying to log-in; the log-in page just refreshes but nothing happens.

Any insight on how this may or may not be able to function on a blackberry would be very helpful.

Thank you!
jednie

Post by jednie »

steelydan wrote:Great addon. Use it everyday at work.

Quick question: I understand that you are adding a mobile-template; but is there any reason why my blackberry is unable to access it at the current moment? When trying to log-in; the log-in page just refreshes but nothing happens.

Any insight on how this may or may not be able to function on a blackberry would be very helpful.

Thank you!

What address are you entering? "http://<youraddress>:<yourport> or are you appending a page to the address? Try using http://<youraddress>:<yourport>/ms.htm. There are two situations that I am aware of that can cause the login page to reload after submitting it:

1. Your login name and/or password was incorrect.
2. Your IP address is restricted through the user IP address restrictions.

When either of these situations occur the login page will reload and it will display an error message. Are you certain that an error message isn't displaying on the page?

jednie

Post by Guest »

When I right click on the tray icon to confirm what version i have, it says : 0.9.4.25762 (2010-02-24)
When I check for updates, it tells me I already have the most recent version.
So

1) Is the most recent version" message correct and I have 0.95, but it is simply dispalying an version number?
or
2) Is the most recent version" message incorrect and I have 0.94, , ie it is correctly displaying the version number?... in which case how do I get the most recent version 0.95 (2010-05-21) ?

Also, when is the next release planned???
MediaMan

Post by MediaMan »

P.S It always used to get the updates without a hitch...
Windows 7,8 | iTunes 11.2.2.3 | IOS 7.1.2 | MM Gold 4.1.3.1708 | d_itunes4.dll Ver 4.0.4.2438