MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes4.dll)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

aprzybylo

Re: MediaMonkey iTunes plugin (d_itunes.dll & d_itunes4.dll)

Post by aprzybylo »

markstuartwalker wrote:
aprzybylo wrote: 7) now let say the rating is 3 stars in both
8) I change the rating to 2 stars in iTunes and sync
9) the rating will become 2 in MM (correct) but the one from MM will be copied to iTunes so it will switch from correct one to the one from MM.
10) sync again and everything is fine.
I've done these steps and not got your behaviour. Be aware that at the point of sync into iTunes there is a 3rd value stored in the MM database for the rating, a sort of "value at sync time". This is used to detect any change in rating and be able to adjust the non-changed system to remain in sync. The pitfall here could be that you have manually set the "rating is 3 stars in both" but the 3rd value might still be 2 which will cause odd behaviour.

Further, iTunes (and MM) doesn't always refresh the screen if the underlying DB is changed beneath it. It's important to get the screen refreshed.

Please switch on the debug level to 2 (see start of this thread for details) and capture the trace output for this behaviour and post back. Keep it simple by staying with this single track.

Check the simple scenario. Start with s song with no played. Sync with ITunes. Play it once in mm play it once in iTunes. Sync now. Play count changes to 2 in mm and remains 1 in iTunes. Another scenario I can't check now since don't have access to I tunes now. Same as before but ply twice in mm. I think the result after sync will be 3 in mm so correct and 2 in iTunes equal to mm value before sync
regnaD kciN

Post by regnaD kciN »

markstuartwalker wrote:No, it's not how it should work. I have FLAC and higher kbps conversions and only changed files are re-converted - this was essential to the way that I operate. If there are no changes it simply pauses a while and the progress bar jumps to the RHS and it finishes.

If more than one machine is involved I suggest that you check the clocks are in sync.

To pin down the problem I suggest only sync a handful of tracks and pay very close attention to timestamps in MM, cache and iTunes.

You're not the first to report this but the other cases have simply 'gone quiet' afterwards so I've never know what their solution was. Please let me know.
O.K. -- I'm not "going quiet." :wink: After some testing, I think I've found the issue: the trick is, once you configure your iTunes "device," you have to sync once (I'm pretty sure it can just be a single track, if you want to make it quick), then shut down MM and reopen it. It takes a restart of the program for it to actually scan your new iTunes "device" and enable it to know what's already there -- otherwise, it will just assume that every sync you do is to an empty iTunes, so will redo everything. Once you've done the shutdown/restart, it will know what's already in iTunes and only convert and copy tracks that aren't already there.

I'm still identifying a couple of other issues, but will post on those separately.
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

I got new mm build and this dll doesn't work anymore. I deleted all tracks in iTunes and tried from scratch but no tracks show in iTunes. They are copied to cache folder but that's it. Anybody else having problem?
tonkhero

Post by tonkhero »

Ok, after much messing around, I fixed the recurring confirmation request to delete playlists from device issue by doing the following:

1) deleted all auto playlists from mediamonkey. (just getting started w/ MM, so didn't have alot)
2) Deleted all playlists and tracks from iTunes
3) deleted mmitunes folder
4) Checked the playlist folders dialog to "ignore folders"
5) Resynced.

It works now. But if I change the playlist folders dialog to "flatten" or "build folders" the problem comes back.

Does this shed any light on what might be happening?

markstuartwalker wrote:
tonkhero wrote:
tonkhero wrote:Thanks.

Now, if I choose the "Delete files and playlists not on the auto-sync list" option when configuring the itunes device, will it delete my apps? Or does it just concern itself with music?
Ok, tried it. It works for me, does not delete apps. YMMV

I do have another problem though. I keep getting a confirmation request to delete the same 5 playlists. Each time I click confirm, but next time I sync, they come back up... Any thoughts?
The plugin only affects music. I've not tried it but I think in MM4 it should work with videos too.

The plugin's linkage to playlists is by name which is a flimsy but the iTunes and MM interfaces don't have IDs. This means that ALL playlists must have unique names (even if they are in different folders); the symptom you report suggests that you have duplicate names. Sometimes things get into a knot when playlists are renamed or moved around. The simplest solution is to manually delete the affected playlists in iTunes. If they are needed they will get re-created; if not they will stay deleted.
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

There's a memory management problem in that plug in. I start sync process (all flac files with conversion to mp3) everything is file. I stop and I start removing some files from library (including deleting those files) Again everything is fine. Try both at the same time the memory usage is starting to go up 10000k per second.
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

aprzybylo wrote:There's a memory management problem in that plug in. I start sync process (all flac files with conversion to mp3) everything is file. I stop and I start removing some files from library (including deleting those files) Again everything is fine. Try both at the same time the memory usage is starting to go up 10000k per second.
I don't see this effect. I don't convert from FLAC very much so I'm wondering if the leakage is in the FLAC conversion. can you test this for me?
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

What do you need?
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

Also one issue I have I synched yesterday my MM library with iTunes (about 4K of songs). I took MM on my portable drive, played maybe 20 songs (never touched iTunes) came back try to complete sync adding couple of new songs and it re-copies whole thing. Since most of the files are flac files (but same problem for mp3 just a little faster) it takes many many hours to complete.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

I have started playing with this plug in. Great concept, and if I can get it to work, will be using it all the time.

My problem is that "in my environment", it seems the plug is having trouble copying files from my shares.
When I do a sync, all the files from that are on my share get an error along the lines of...
"Problem with copying file \\jetta\music\blahblah1.mp3 to c:\temp\blahblah2" with this cancel/retry/ignore buttons.
My iTunes plugin destination is d:\MMiTunes; Both C: and D: have many GB's of space free compared to the playlist I am sync'ing.

I don't have any trouble sync'ing the same playlist to a memory key.
What should I look at, or what do I need to do give you more info so this can be debugged?

btw, I am running MM4 1455 and iTune 10.1.1.4 and iTunesPlugin 4.0.3.2014 on Windows XP SP3 under VMWare 7.1.5.
\\jetta\ is a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine <physical>.
gege

Post by gege »

For those of you who use this plugin, I added iTunes icon to my Custom device images for MM4 thread.

Enjoy!
markstuartwalker

gege wrote:For those of you who use this plugin, I added iTunes icon to my Custom device images for MM4 thread.

Enjoy!
... actually I've already included a png file in the C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins\DeviceImages\itunes4.png

(I like yours better though).
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
markstuartwalker

New version 4.0.3.2025

http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... or-itunes/ (it will appear once the MM team approve it).

I'm not convinced that there are any fixes! There is the starting of manual though - find the pdf file in the plugins folder.
markstuartwalker

Anubis wrote:I have started playing with this plug in. Great concept, and if I can get it to work, will be using it all the time.

My problem is that "in my environment", it seems the plug is having trouble copying files from my shares.
When I do a sync, all the files from that are on my share get an error along the lines of...
"Problem with copying file \\jetta\music\blahblah1.mp3 to c:\temp\blahblah2" with this cancel/retry/ignore buttons.
My iTunes plugin destination is d:\MMiTunes; Both C: and D: have many GB's of space free compared to the playlist I am sync'ing.

I don't have any trouble sync'ing the same playlist to a memory key.
What should I look at, or what do I need to do give you more info so this can be debugged?

btw, I am running MM4 1455 and iTune 10.1.1.4 and iTunesPlugin 4.0.3.2014 on Windows XP SP3 under VMWare 7.1.5.
\\jetta\ is a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine <physical>.
I'm not convinced that it is a problem copying FROM, I imagine that it's the destination which is the problem. Read the message very carefully and note the file paths accurately. Try to manually copy the file in Explorer.

If all else fails retry with the 2025 version. If there is still a problem then switch to DEBUG=2 and capture some output. See the start of this thread for instructions.
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

I played a little today with the plug in and for few syncs it was working great. I did update few songs in MM, the I updated artwork. I synced few times itunes with iPhone. At some point however something happened (like error on something). I had to close MM and then when I tried to close iTunes I got message that something is using scripting. Next time I tried to sync it detected that my whole iTunes library needs to be synced (even if nothing changed from last time).

Another observation is that since I have big part of my library encoded in flac it has to be converted to mp3 on sync. What I noticed that first conversion is extremely slow using that plug in (I get about 1 song per 2-3 minutes). When I do example ripping cd using flac encoder I have whole cd in couple of minutes so something is wrong here. Not sure if thats flac converter or something inside the plug in. Second problem that I have is that when I need to sync flac files (like right now when I resync whole library because of that error) it seems that it reconvert all files (even if only tag has changed). Not sure if that's desired way but I don't think there's a need of reconversion on each update if only song info changes.

Anyways if you need any help in tracking any of those issues let me know.
markstuartwalker

If MM does not close properly then iTunes will report that it's still in use. This is expected and not the cause of any harm.

If iTunes is not present (or has become unresponsive) when a sync scans the device then MM considers that there are no tracks in iTunes and will re-sync everything, Even if the situation is recognised immediately and the sync stopped the damage is done because MM's internal sync tables will have been cleared so a full re-sync is inevitable. There is a check and a message to report missing iTunes though - please confirm that this is not suppressed.

FLAC ripping is relatively quick as it is compressed only slightly. mp3 is more highly compressed and takes longer. The conversion is outside of the plugin as it is a standard part of MM so again there is nothing that I can do. I have a 3Ghz quad core PC and a 1.4Ghz Mac and I know which is the quickest!

A change of tag information updates the timestamp of the flac file. MM recognises that a convert is needed irrespective of the minor nature of the change.