Lyricator - Batch Lyrics Updater v1.00 [OUTDATED]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

davidbspalding

Re: Lyricator - Batch Lyrics Updater v1.00 [MM3]

Post by davidbspalding »

klinsten wrote:here's another one just dying to get this script to work.

if you need another beta-tester, i'm you man (i have 42 000+ tracks ranging from popular to very very obscure)
Thanks for your offer. One of the problems being worked on entails one or more sites doing some kind of temporary blocking on the user's connection. Testing Lyricator on more than a few dozen tracks in one batch would probably not help until we are in a position to do load testing, and can rely upon sites not to block us.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
martialartsguy

Post by martialartsguy »

Along those lines, is there a way to limit the # of searches done during a session within lyricator? I'm sure someone's already thought about that, but if not, it may keep blocking down...
MM Gold since 2006
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

martialartsguy wrote:Along those lines, is there a way to limit the # of searches done during a session within lyricator? I'm sure someone's already thought about that, but if not, it may keep blocking down...
Yep. It's being discussed as a potential enhancement. ;)
RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

davidbspalding wrote:
martialartsguy wrote:Along those lines, is there a way to limit the # of searches done during a session within lyricator? I'm sure someone's already thought about that, but if not, it may keep blocking down...
Yep. It's being discussed as a potential enhancement. ;)
What if you used the cached data from google? (i.e. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... us&strip=1)

Just a thought from someone who knows nothing about this stuff :D
klinsten

Post by klinsten »

a few months ago i tried Jaikoz to update my tags
it uses lyricsfly.com and i managed to do 250+ updates in one batch

(don't know if it's still the case though)

http://www.lyricsfly.com/api/
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

That looks really hopeful, they are open to shareware apps hitting them.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
Evil Overlord

Post by Evil Overlord »

Not meaning to push in any way...

Looks like the 1 Dec date passed without comment. Is there a new projected release date - just so we can know when to check in again?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Evil Overlord wrote:Looks like the 1 Dec date passed without comment.
davidbspalding wrote:One of the problems being worked on entails one or more sites doing some kind of temporary blocking on the user's connection. Testing Lyricator on more than a few dozen tracks in one batch would probably not help until we are in a position to do load testing, and can rely upon sites not to block us.
They're still working on it.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

I'm still monitoring this thread and still waiting for one of you genius to come up with a solution. :D My new songs I added to my library are starting to feel neglected being naked with no lyrics. :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if an alternative solution could be if MediaMonkey or someone else could host a lyrics database, where us users could submit lyrics to it? Maybe a script could even be written for MM that would allow us to upload lyrics to that database from our own libraries to get it moving along? I know I currently have close to 10,000 songs and most of them have lyrics thanks to lyricator where I would be happy to contribute. Get enough media monkey users contributing and it could be a good lyrics database in no time. :wink:

I'm even thinking of other ideas to make this even a bigger user contribution effort, where the lyricator script when it found no results, it could give an option to submit a "User Request for lyrics" and then in the uploader lyric script a function could be enabled by other users where it says, "We have identified that you have wanted lyrics available, would you like to contribute these to the MM lyrics database?". Fuel for thought....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rednroll wrote:I'm starting to wonder if an alternative solution could be if MediaMonkey or someone else could host a lyrics database, where us users could submit lyrics to it?
Lyrics have copyright on it so you would need a license from the studios to this legally.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Lowlander wrote:
Evil Overlord wrote:Looks like the 1 Dec date passed without comment.
davidbspalding wrote:One of the problems being worked on entails one or more sites doing some kind of temporary blocking on the user's connection. Testing Lyricator on more than a few dozen tracks in one batch would probably not help until we are in a position to do load testing, and can rely upon sites not to block us.
They're still working on it.
Thanks. And we are very close ... final lap ... end of tunnel in sight ... please continue with routine patience and understanding (this is essentially a one-man, volunteer, open source effort). SquirrelScript and his volunteer cadre are still sorting out a few issues, final tweaks, and of course the always fun-to-do Release Notes. If you hear jingle bells somewhere in the background, it's because it is likely to available for Christmas.[1] I don't think anyone will be disappointed, in fact I think prior users of Lyricator will be posting a lot of :o and :) and 8) .

[1] Subject to change without notice. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. For external use only. Professional driver on closed course. Consult your doctor before executing in combination with other prescription drugs. Santa's list is proprietary information and not yet disclosed by WikiLeaks....
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

Lowlander wrote:
Rednroll wrote:I'm starting to wonder if an alternative solution could be if MediaMonkey or someone else could host a lyrics database, where us users could submit lyrics to it?
Lyrics have copyright on it so you would need a license from the studios to this legally.
I think that might be a far stretch of lyric copyright infringement since the lyrics by themselves have no musical value. I mean, that kind of borders on the line of copyrighting Words, Phrases, and sentences which just isn't possible. I could be wrong, but it seems like there's a ton of websites out there with lyrics posted.

http://www.azlyrics.com/
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

Ok....I did a little reading. There is a way to do it legally.

http://www.guidethroughthelegaljunglebl ... st-ly.html

Can You Post Lyrics on Your Website? A Few Services that Make It Legal?

Hopefully, it comes as no surprise to anyone that song lyrics are protected by copyright law. Song lyrics are protected whether or not they are registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. They are protected whether they are used with or without an accompanying melody.

Websites offering song lyrics without permission are violating copyright laws and exposing themselves to claims of copyright infringement. Of course, IF you’re displaying the lyrics in a manner that qualifies as fair use, you’re not violating any copyright laws. But, like most fair use questions, that’s a big, shaky, and potentially messy “IF”.

On a growing world wide web where infringement is not uncommon, music publishers must choose which battles to fight and may target only the largest violators; those websites offering massive lyric databases. Smaller websites with less traffic and offering only small snatches of lyrics may be able to operate under the music publishers’ radar.

For websites that want to display lyrics legally, services like LyricFind and GraceNote offer an option worthy of consideration. These companies do not give individual online users direct access to the lyrics. Instead, they license the use of searchable song lyrics databases to businesses that integrate the databases into their own websites. Those businesses can then offer their visitors to their websites the option of searching and viewing lyrics.

Popular websites that use these databases include Allmusic.com and Rhapsody Online which use the LyricFind service and Yahoo! Music which uses Gracenote. LyricFind has licensed song lyrics from over 1,700 music publishers and offers the lyrics to hundreds of thousands of songs in its database. Gracenote, which began offering lyrics display as a new service only this year, has about 400,000 songs in its database.
Last edited by Rednroll on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Overlord

Post by Evil Overlord »

I think that might be a far stretch of lyric copyright infringement since the lyrics by themselves have no musical value. I mean, that kind of borders on the line of copyrighting Words, Phrases, and sentences which just isn't possible.
Lyrics are copyrightable, without question - just like poems that have no music attached. I'm not sure how lyrics sites get around it, since they're far beyond fair use - maybe because they're based on each fan's interpretation of the lyrics, but that's a weak defense. That said, I think that each fan's individual use of lyrics to accompany their legally-obtained music files is definitely fair use.