MonkeySqueeze V3.3

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

pcmoan

Re: MonkeySqueeze V3.0.1

Post by pcmoan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi Gingernut63 -

Thanks much for the troubleshooting suggestions. Followup delayed on account of 3 small children, job etc.

Following a comparison of settings from MM->Options->MonkeySqueeze and the LMS Server Settings. The values below are literally a copy/paste from each respective field on the Options->MonkeySqueeze dialog page and the appropriate tab within the LMS Server Setting dialog.

1) Enable Power Toggle
- Options->MonkeySqueeze->General Settings ->Enable Power Toggle is checked
- No corresponding setting on MLS Server. I have verified that SqueezeBox can be powered off and back on again from the LMS web-interface.

2) LMS IP Address
- copied directly from Options->MonkeySqueeze->IP Address: 192.168.1.103
- copied directly from LMS Settings->Information->Server IP Address: 192.168.1.103

4) LMS Port:
- copied directly from Options->MonkeySqueeze->HTTP Port No: 9000
- copied directly from LMS Settings->Information->Server HTTP Port Number: 9000

5) Primary SqueezeBox MAC Address
- copied directly from Options->MonkeySqueeze->Device MAC Address: 00:04:40:23:6e:4c
- copied directly from LMS Settings->Information->Player MAC Address: 00:04:40:23:6e:4c

6) Options->MonkeySqueeze->LMS on a Linux NAS->Enable is checked

7) MediaMonkey Music Folder
- copied directly from Options->MonkeySqueeze->MediaMonkey Music Folder: X:\
- on laptop this mapped drive appears under “My Computer” as “flac on ‘VortexBox\Music’ (X:) . I can select this drive and see all album folders immediately under X:\.

\8) LMS Media Folder
- copied directly from Options->MonkeySqueeze->LMS Media Folder: /storage/music/flac
- copied directly from LMS Settings->Basic Settings->Media Folders->Folder: /storage/music/flac

Following are answers to two of your questions:

Question#1: What happened to the music playing on the Squeezebox system when enabling MonkeySqueeze, did it continue to play unimpeded or did it stop and the playlist disappear?

Answer: Step 1: Start music on SqueezeBox from LMS web-based interface. Tracks from album are listed. Step 2: Enable MonkeySqueeze and the music on the SqueezeBox stops. The Track listing on the LMS web-based interface disappears. You had indicated this points to a problem with addressing the database.

Question #2: What happens when the SqueezeBox is in standby mode and you enable MonkeySqueeze?

Answers: The SqueezeBox gets turned on but the “Current Playlist” is empty. This indicates the MAC address is correct.

Questions on my end:

Given answers above, do I need to uninstall MM and MonkeySqueeze?

Correct to say that there’s no need to test with an alternate port correct? The fact that I’m able to toggle power indicates that MonkeySqueeze is successfully communicating with the LMS on Port 9000 correct?

What should next steps be regarding the database? When I enable MonkeySqueeze anything I play in MM can be heard from the laptop speakers.
Last edited by pcmoan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 pm

pcmoan wrote:Hi Gingernut63...

Questions on my end:

Given answers above, do I need to uninstall MM and MonkeySqueeze?

Correct to say that there’s no need to test with an alternate port correct? The fact that I’m able to toggle power indicates that MonkeySqueeze is successfully communicating with the LMS on Port 9000 correct?

What should next steps be regarding the database? When I enable MonkeySqueeze anything I play in MM can be heard from the laptop speakers.
Great we have progress! You are 50% of the way to fixing this problem. Yes your comms are good and yes you have a problem with the database addressing. Read the suggestions below. No.2 I believe will fix your issue.

1. Enable: "Options->MonkeySqueeze->LMS on a Linux NAS->Enable is checked" - Correct
2. LMS Media Folder: Given that you have copied the LMS Media Folder address from LMS > Settings etc... then this must be correct. However if the MM music folder has a backslash at the end (X:\) place a forward slash on the LMS media folder address (/storage/music/flac/). This is probably the issue.. Any music file address after X:\ is added to /storage/music/flac in LMS and without the forward slash the address will be incorrect.
3. LMS is prior to V7.5.1: make sure it is deselected.
4. MediaMonkey Music Folder: This appears to be correct.
a) Make sure there are no spaces after X:\ (do the same for the LMS Media Folder)
b) Make sure only X:\ is in the box and you haven't accidentally pasted other info in which you cant see. (click in the box and arrow left and right)
c) Double check the music folder address in MediaMonkey either by using File > "Add/Rescan files to the library" or the file path in the track details
b) Change the case of the address to see what happens

I'll address your questions if the fix doesn't work.

Let me know what happens.
Gingernut63
MonkeySqueeze – Squeezing music into your life!
https://twitter.com/#!/MonkeySqueeze1
MonkeySqueeze Support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=59515
MonkeySqueeze Development: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=59907
MediaMonkey user since 2005

pcmoan

Post by pcmoan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Gingernut63-

Thanks for your note. I'm not able to get MonkeySqueeze to function. Here is a list of steps/tests.

1. LMS is prior to V7.5.1: has always been deselected

2 The LML media folder address now reads: /storage/music/flac/ (No spaces after the trailing “/”). What you said above makes complete sense, but unfortunately, the behavior remains the same after I enable MonkeySqueeze. In an effort to be complete, I’ve tried the following combinations without success: In all cases, I have made sure there is no trailing whitespace.

X:\, /storage/music/flac/
X:\, /storage/music/flac

X:\, /storage/music/flac/
x:\, /storage/music/flac/

X:, /storage/music/flac
x:, /storage/music/flac

3. As mention above, the current values were set to X:\ and /storage/music/flac/.

2. When testing I did the following: 1) Music started on SqueezBox from LMS web interface. Current song and album cover displayed on SqueezeBox. All tracks listed in LMS web interface. 2) Enable MonkeySqueeze. Music immediately stops on SqueezBox. SqueezeBox display updated with screen titled “Current Playlist” with the word “Nothing” appearing beneath the title. The LMS web interface no longer displays the previous album and the word “Empty” appears on the right hand side the UI.

3. I then disable MonkeySqueeze and the power goes off on the SqueezBox. Additionally I see that the power button icon on the web interface now indicates the SqueezeBox is off.

4) On a related note, MonkeySqueeze displays the label “Synchronizing Playlists” immediately after enabling MonkeySqueeze for about 10 seconds. It displays “Synchronizing Playlists” again when I actually begin to play a list.

5) Per #2 above, I have tried different combinations of cases.

6) I’ve replicated the problem on a windows 7 laptop(in addition to my XP laptop) with the same MonkeySqueeze option settings.

7) I’ve verified that are no spaces after the values for Music Folder or the Media Folder.

8) Path information for all tracks in MM reads: \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\<Albumname>\<trackname>

9) I’ve also tried this from a Windows 7 laptop (in addition to my XP laptop). Behavior is the same.

Any ideas of logging options to see what’s going on under the hood?

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm

pcmoan wrote: Path information for all tracks in MM reads: \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\<Albumname>\<trackname>
Thanks to your exhaustive notes I can see the problem. You are accessing your music files in MediaMonkey via the network address. Accessing the files via the mapped drive (X:\) will fix the issue. You may need to fiddle with the music folder addresses in MonkeySqueeze but X:\, /storage/music/flac/ should work. Alternatively you could place \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac in the MM Music folder address in MonkeySqueeze and change the LMS Music folder address to /storage/music/flac, this should also work. Whatever you do, the address of the music library in MM must be duplicated in MonkeySqueeze.

Yes I know the second suggestion is not recommended in the user guide, there is a potential problem but to tell you the truth I can't remember what it is (old age). A lot of water has passed under the bridge since the early versions of MonkeySqueeze.

Let me know what happens
Gingernut63
MonkeySqueeze Development: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=59907

pcmoan

Post by pcmoan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Gingernut

Success! Updating the MM Music Folder address to \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac solved the problem. I can now play music from MM on the SqueezeBox. I recall reading that MM prefers network addresses over mapped drives which is why I chose the network address when bringing music into the library. I've read alot recently, so if I've go that wrong please let me know. In any event, should complications with my current approach arise I will re-scan music into the library from the mapped drive (X:\).

The last major goal is to sync playlists defined in MM with the LMS. I've followed instructions laid out in the MonkeySqueeze user guide but I've not successfully synchronized any of the MM playlists. Following are my steps:

1) Define a playlist called Test_Playlist.
2) Add 14 tracks to Test_Playlist
3) Right click on Test_Playlist and select "Play Now" to update what I see in "Now Playing"
4) Click on the "Stop" button at the bottom of MM
5) Click on the Enable MonkeySqueeze icon (red-> turquoise). The status bar along bottom reads "Synchronizing playlist..." for approximately 10 seconds (max).
7) On the LMS web interface, select Home->Playlists. LMS displays the word "Empty" in the left hand pane beneath "Home->Playlists". The squeezebox also has no playlists.

I've read in an earlier posting that one can save off playlists folder known to LMS. To this end, I've done the following:
1) Map the P drive to \\vortexbox\files\music\playlist (i.e. a writable playlist folder)
2) Select Tools->Scripts->Export All Playlists and confirm that m3u files are successfully exported to the P drive.
3) On the LMS web interface, navigate to the playlists and see that the playlists I exported are not being picked up by LMS.

Any thoughts/direction most welcome. Thanks much for reading through my rather detailed posts.

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:43 pm

pcmoan wrote:Hi Gingernut

Success!
Great! I always recommend accessing the MM music folder via a mapped drive for MonkeySqueeze. Have done it from the beginning without any problems as defined by Lowlander. You can read the discussion earlier in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p346588. Having said that, I am currently testing MediaMonkey/MonkeySqueeze via the network address to see if any issues arise. Early on in MonkeySqueeze development there was a reason for using the mapped drive but with major programming changes since that time the need may have been removed. I just kept the status quo while concentrating on other more important issues with the script. Time will tell if there are any issues.
pcmoan wrote:The last major goal is to sync playlists defined in MM with the LMS...
I've read in an earlier posting that one can save off playlists folder known to LMS...
The playlist you play in MediaMonkey will not sync with the playlist folder in LMS via MonkeySqueeze, LMS will just play the same tracks as MediaMonkey. Below is what I do if I want to access the MM playlists in Squeezebox.

If I create a playlist in MediaMonkey I export it to a sub-folder of the main music folder called Playlists. I access this in MediaMonkey via Playlists > Imported playlists (after a scan). I can play in MediaMonkey or on MM & Squeezebox via MonkeySqueeze.

For Squeezebox, I direct LMS to use the same folder for its playlists (Settings > Basic Settings > Playlist Folder) and then select "Only rescan playlists". Once the scan has finished I can access the same playlist via Music > Playlists and play on the Squeezebox system independent of MM and MS.

I have never created a playlist in Squeezebox as it is light years easier to do in MediaMonkey, however there is no reason why you could not play a LMS saved playlist in MediaMonkey provided they are in the appropriate format.

Cheers
Gingernut63

royalsolo

Post by royalsolo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:44 am

Hey Gingernut,

time again to say thanks. MonkeySqueeze is giving me so much fun and control over my Squeezebox running on freenas.

Now a small problem:
I get error 9 from time to time.

What does it mean?

Another a little annoying thing is that when I update the file info (i.e. rating), the playback will stop. This might not be a MonkeySqueeze issue, but does anyone have an ideo how to prevent that?

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:06 pm

royalsolo wrote:Hey Gingernut,

time again to say thanks. MonkeySqueeze is giving me so much fun and control over my Squeezebox running on freenas.
Glad you are enjoying the experience.
royalsolo wrote:Now a small problem:
I get error 9 from time to time.

What does it mean?
I've managed to replicate it once by dragging and dropping a large amount of files (88) into the Now Playing window with MonkeySqueeze enabled and a track playing. It's not repeatable however. Will look into it. In the mean time try adding the files in smaller amounts or add via right click "Play Next", "Play Last" etc... (haven't had an issue using this method at the moment).
royalsolo wrote:Another a little annoying thing is that when I update the file info (i.e. rating), the playback will stop. This might not be a MonkeySqueeze issue, but does anyone have an ideo how to prevent that?
I can replicate this, but the music does not stop, it pauses for a brief second and then continues to play. This is happening because the music file is being modified (saved) and while that happens the Squeezebox system will stop playing the track until the process is finished. I use a Windows based server, your experience may differ slightly as you have a Linux system. Sorry, won't be able to rectify this issue. Try updating the rating when the next track plays.

Cheers
Gingernut63

royalsolo

Post by royalsolo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Gingernut63 wrote: I've managed to replicate it once by dragging and dropping a large amount of files (88) into the Now Playing window with MonkeySqueeze enabled and a track playing.
I use Auto DJ to fill up and I think it happens while navigating forward/backward. I do not add more that 10 Files at a time. What does the error message say? index out of range "m" ?! "M:\" is the windows name of my attached network drive...
royalsolo wrote:I can replicate this, but the music does not stop, it pauses for a brief second and then continues to play.
Yes, sorry, thats what i was trying to say.

Thanks for the answer, maybethere´ll be a buffering solution somewhen (the actual saving is delayed until the song finishes playing) or another solution.[/quote]

Thanks for you work gingernut!

royalsolo

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

royalsolo wrote: I use Auto DJ to fill up and I think it happens while navigating forward/backward. I do not add more that 10 Files at a time. What does the error message say? index out of range "m" ?! "M:\" is the windows name of my attached network drive...
royalsolo
No "m" is a variable in the program and not related to your drive. I've used Auto DJ myself and haven't seen the error, however I limit Auto DJ to maintain a max of 5 files and retain 5 files. Will do some more testing.

I'll add both your issues to the to do list.

Cheers
Gingernut63

pcmoan

Post by pcmoan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Gingernut-

Question for you regarding creating playlists in MM and exporting them to the LMS.

1) M3U entries for a playlist created via the LMS web-based interface have the following format

/storage/music/flac/ALBUM/SONG.flac

2) M3U entires for a playlist created in MM is going to be dependent on how I scanned the music into the library. In my case I scan from \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac. As a result, M3U entries have the following format:

\\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\ALBUM\SONG.flac

3) After exporting a MM created playlist to the LMS playlist folder I see the playlist appear, but it's contents are empty. This make sense since the LMS wont know about the pathnames produced within MM.

4) On the NAS running LMS (a VortexBox from Little Green Computer), playlists created by LMS are stored under /storage/files/music/playlist. This is the same location I move the exported MM playlists.

5) Can you provide the sequence of steps to create the necessary path structure (i.e. /storage/music/flac/<album>/song.flac)? I believe that what I'm doing corresponds with direction you provided earlier, but the difference in pathname format seems problematic.

If I create a playlist in MediaMonkey I export it to a sub-folder of the main music folder called Playlists. I access this in MediaMonkey via Playlists > Imported playlists (after a scan). I can play in MediaMonkey or on MM & Squeezebox via MonkeySqueeze.

For Squeezebox, I direct LMS to use the same folder for its playlists (Settings > Basic Settings > Playlist Folder) and then select "Only rescan playlists". Once the scan has finished I can access the same playlist via Music > Playlists and play on the Squeezebox system independent of MM and MS.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Patrick

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 am

pcmoan wrote:Hi Gingernut-

Question for you regarding creating playlists in MM and exporting them to the LMS...

5) Can you provide the sequence of steps to create the necessary path structure (i.e. /storage/music/flac/<album>/song.flac)? I believe that what I'm doing corresponds with direction you provided earlier, but the difference in pathname format seems problematic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Patrick
Patrick if you use Tools > Scripts > Export all Playlists to export the playlists then it creates m3u files with the full address of each track in the playlist. To confirm change the m3u extension to txt and open using Notepad. If you load an existing playlist in MediaMonkey and highlight all tracks and then select File > Export to Playlist and save to the subfolder, e.g. "Playlists" under your main "Music" folder then it creates a m3u file with the address starting below the main folder "Music". Again change to txt to view. LMS can read this address and play the playlist. One caveat I've found is LMS does not recognise some characters and hence some playlists will not be able to be read.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.
Gingernut63

pcmoan

Post by pcmoan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 am

Hi Gingernut-

I'll step through each of your steps below and tell you where Im confused:

Patrick if you use Tools > Scripts > Export all Playlists to export the playlists then it creates m3u files with the full address of each track in the playlist.

Patrick - Yes, this is the step I was using to create the playlist.

To confirm change the m3u extension to txt and open using Notepad.

Patrick - Yes. I used notepad in the previous post to show you the M3U entries that MM was creating vs. the M3U entries that are created when I create a playlist directly on the VortexBox running LMS (i.e. a linux server from Small Green Computer that we purchase to hold out music library). I'm opening the the M3U file in Notepad without changing the m3u extension to txt. I assume this is not a problem, but just want to let you know everything I'm dong (or not doing).

If you load an existing playlist in MediaMonkey and highlight all tracks and then select File > Export to Playlist and save to the subfolder, e.g. "Playlists" under your main "Music" folder then it creates a m3u file with the address starting below the main folder "Music".

Patrick - This is where I'm confused becuase I think I'm already following the step above but I think you may mean something different. When I select File->Export to Playlist, I am prompted to save the M3U file to a folder. Within the SaveAs dialog, I navigate to a mapped drive that I've mapped directly to the playlist folder on the VortexBox. This is the same folder on the VortexBox that the LMS puts playlists when I created one via the Web-based interface. From the XP laptop I use the following UNC pathname to access the playlists directory on the VortexBox: \\vortexbox\music\playlist. I assume this is the same folder you're referring to above because it's the only place I can save an M3U files and have it picked up by the LMS. Recall that I do see my exported M3U show up as a new playlist in the LMS web-based interface (and also on Squeezebox). The problem is that they cannot be read by the LMS server. I believe this has everything to do with the fact that I've got UNC addresses in the playlist (e.g. \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\<album>\<song>.flac rather than what the LMS expects which is /storage/music/flac/<album>/<song>.flac. Do I need to run a conversion script on exported M3U files so they can be read by the LMS running on the Linux server? Alternatively, do I need to do global search and replaces for each playlist that I export. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but if someone's automated the process of moving a playlist from a windows client running MM to a Linux server running LMS, then all the better. In event, this is what I was trying (unsuccessfully) in my previous post.

Again change to txt to view. LMS can read this address and play the playlist.

Patrick - I'm not following the sentence above. Are you referring to change the file extension from "M3U" to "txt" or something else? What I am doing now on my XP laptop is navigating to the mapped drive on the linux-based VortexBox that contains my exported playlist and opening up the file in Notepad. I used notepad to pull out the examples I showed you earlier which compares the pathnames created by MM to the pathnames created by LMS.

Sorry for being dense here... :(

Patrick
Last edited by pcmoan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:50 am

pcmoan wrote: Patrick - I'm not following the sentence above. Are you referring to change the file extension from "M3U" to "txt" or something else?
Changing from m3u to txt is only mentioned as some people do not know that a m3u file is a txt based file with a different extension. When providing support I never presume and try to give as much info as possible (unless I forget of course).
pcmoan wrote: Patrick - This is where I'm confused becuase I think I'm already following the step above but I think you may mean something different. When I select File->Export to Playlist, I am prompted to save the M3U file to a folder.
I have a main file for my music called Music which is on my WHS server. This is accessed in MM as \\Server\Music, in LMS as D:\ServerFolders\Music. Please note that my LMS address is Windows based and not like yours Linux (Unix) based (this part I had forgotten in the previous posts - I blame increasing age and wine).

Under Music are a number of subfolders, two of these subfolders are Playlists and Pop - Rock.

There are two ways I export to playlists:

1. When I use File > Export to Playlists I save to the network address \\Server\Music\Playlists. Here is an example an address in the m3u file: ..\Pop - Rock\<Artist>\Artist - <Album>\<Artist> - <Track> <Title>.flac. When the playlist is opened in LMS all tracks are displayed and can be played.

2. I can also use File > Export to Playlists and save the m3u to the playlist folder via the mapped drive (X:\). An example of the address is: \\SERVER\Music\Pop - Rock\<Artist>\Artist - <Album>\<Artist> - <Track> <Title>.flac. The m3u file saved this way can also be opened and played by LMS

Both will work because LMS is operating on a windows server. However prior to the WHS server I had a Netgear NAS running on Linux and I was able to use the MM playlists without modification. Trouble is I can't remember if the process was the same as above.

You are partially correct when you say
pcmoan wrote:I believe this has everything to do with the fact that I've got UNC addresses in the playlist (e.g. \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\<album>\<song>.flac rather than what the LMS expects which is /storage/music/flac/<album>/<song>.flac
However the addressing on your server works like this when using MonkeySqueeze: /storage/music/flac\<album>\<song>. That means you can combine the windows format of the music addresses in a m3u file with the Unix format of the Music folder in LMS. Create an m3u file via the first method above which should see addressing such as ..\<album>\<song>. Rescan the playlist folder in LMS and see if the tracks are present when you open the playlist.

Getting somewhat involved here, no increased density of the cranial bone has occurred. It's also getting late so I may missed something else.
Gingernut63

pcmoan

Post by pcmoan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Gingernut-

Qualified success! I'm now able to create a playlist in MM and have music tracks appear in the LMS. The only caveat is that I must do a global search-and-replace in notepad after I've exported the file to the vortexbox. As shown below, I'm replacing all instances of "\\VORTEXBOX\files\music" with "..". As you suggested, the presence of windows-style backslashes is not problematic.

Prior to search and replace: \\VORTEXBOX\files\music\flac\<album>\<song>.flac

After search and replace: ..\flac\<album>\<song>.flac

I investigated how to export a playlist from MM with the relative pathname "..\flac\...", but could not identify an approach in MM. I''m not sure one exists. I did find a relative pathname option for Portable/Audio Devices (at bottom of the options page), but - as expected - enabling that option has no impact on the "File->Export Playlist" operation I'm doing. I suppose the underlying question to answer is how would I get my Pathnames to read "..\flac\..." rather than \\VORTEXTBOX\... but I can see that'd be a problem because MM would have no idea where the music is on the network.

So, unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume that I simply need to do a quick search and replace after exporting the playlist. This is perfectly acceptable since it literally takes an extra 10 seconds and we'll not be exporting playlists all the time. After we get an initial set defined, we'll create playlists every couple of day (or even weeks).

Thanks again for the information you've provided throughout.

Patrick