Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

rrfpacker

Re: Backup 5.2 [MM2+3]

Post by rrfpacker » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:43 pm

I've just started to use this script and I need a bit of help with the settings. I have my main MM installed on an external drive and it has been working fine. I downloaded MM 3.2 on Sunday and forgot I was supposed to delete some items from the C drive before opening, so now I have the ini file on the C drive.

So along with "Settings" being pointed to the C drive so is "Extensions". I need to back up all of Monkey to the external and I'm not sure how to change it. MM is using the correct DB, so I need to know how to change these. I saw a section in the MM ini about Backups but I don't know what the abbreviations are for.

I hope this all makes sense.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 pm

You need to move your mediamonkey.ini file from the c drive to where you want it on the external drive, do this with MM closed. Unfortunately the Extensions has to stay on the C drive. Which other settings area are you having trouble with?
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Well I thought I moved that last week, but maybe it was only the DB.

Moving the ini did the trick. It's too bad extensions can't be moved, but I can live with that. Looks like everything else is ok for now, but you know I will ask if I have other questions.

Thanks again.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 am

@surfer1 - this should really be "C:\MediaMonkey.zip" - does that work?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

jwright444

Can't Restore after Backup 5.2 [MM3]

Post by jwright444 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:41 am

The output from Backup 5.2, including the zip archive is where I left it on a network drive, but running Restore.vbs from that location returns the error: Permission denied Line 27 (in the sour = path&"\Scripts" section)

To manually restore, I follow the restore.vbs script and copy MM.DB and MediaMonkey.ini to the noted destinations ( D:\Music\MediaMonkey\ and C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey\ respectively) I've also placed MM.DB in the AppData folder.

I copy the Scripts, Skins & Plugins folders to C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\

I run MediaMonkey.reg.

MediaMonkey still can't find my data. I have over two years worth of MM data and I really hope I don't have to rescan my music.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
  • Windows Build: 7600
    Processors: 4
    Processor Speed: 3415 MHz
    Memory: 8191 MB
    Platform: 64 Bit

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Did you also restore the mediamonkey.ini file? What error are you getting when opening MM? Are the files greyed out?

jwright444

Post by jwright444 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks, nynaevelan
Did you also restore the mediamonkey.ini file? What error are you getting when opening MM? Are the files greyed out?
Yes, I did restore mediamonkey.ini. I don't get an error. MM opens normally, but with an empty database, no scripts, etc. I'm uninstalling and will try a different location. I'm getting desperate.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:22 pm

When you re-install instead of using the restore.vbs just put everything where it belongs manually and then use the registry file to put all the registry info back. I have never used the restore feature but others have had troubles with it. But I have personal experience using the manual method on at least 4 different computers with no problems.

gpzbc

Post by gpzbc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I also use the manual method. I don't do anything with the restore.vbs, and I just replace all of the folders manually. Then after all the folders are replaced, I double-click the registry restore.
It has worked for me several times.
Good luck.
--
The gpzbc

jwright444

Post by jwright444 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I thought that what's I've been trying but nothing seems to work. I don't know where MM is creating its data now as I've put my backup MM.DB and mediamonkey.ini everywhere possible (Not quite as it turns out - see below :lol: ). As near as I can fathom, I've followed the manual restore route as described to no effect.

When I added a hard drive to my system, my OS is now on Drive1 and my data is on Drive0. Letter labels are still the same. Might this confound the registry restore? (This was a red herring - see below) Is there any way to analyse the MediaMonkey.reg file to see what it's trying to do?
Last edited by jwright444 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Here's an easy way to find it, just remove your db and then open mm. Then open the backup script and it will give you the locations of the files. Then you can close MM and put your files in those locations and delete the newly created one. But here is where the default locations should be: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17

jwright444

Post by jwright444 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:11 am

OK, I think I'm out of the woods. For some reason, MM was installing it's .ini & .DB files in my "My Music" folder which is on my data drive. I never thought to look where I actually wanted it. I overwrote the .ini & .DB and ran the .reg fix all from this scripts backup. MM is now updating my 30,000 moved tracks and I expect all will be fine after all.

Thanks to those who kept my hopes up while I was beating the wrong bushes.

trixmoto

Re: Backup 5.3 - Updated 15/01/2010

Post by trixmoto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm

New version (5.3) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed "Overflow: siz" errors with larger databases
- Fixed Windows Temporary Directory sometimes ends with slash
- Fixed full path now generated when exporting playlists
- Added table "TrixBackup" to store archive file details
- Added option to only keep a certain number of archive files
- Added option to automatically run regularly whilst MM is running

Whilst I have done my best to ensure that clashes don't occur (two backups running at the same time) you should avoid closing MM whilst a backup is in progress. Also, when backing up on shutdown you may have more archive files than you have specified in your keep settings, this is because they are not deleted until MM starts up again.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm

trixmoto wrote: - Added option to only keep a certain number of archive files
- Added option to automatically run regularly whilst MM is running
Oh, I am going to LOVE these features!!!! Great job and I look forward to testing. :D :D :D One side note, how does the certain number handle if the backups are saved according to date and hour??

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks, I hope they live up to expectation! :)

Whenever a .zip file is created (output archive or second archive) then all records in the "TrixBackup" table of this filename are deleted, then this new one is added. This means that if you are using the date and create the same file 10 times in a day, you will still only have one record in the table.

When a backup is completed (or in the case of onshutdown, when MM is next run) the current number of records is retrieve and if it exceeds the number you've specified then they records are looped through in time order (oldest first) and if the file exists then it is deleted, the record is deleted from the table either way. This loop continues until the number of records is equal to the number you've specified to keep.