Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I do apologise. Having used the first version of my script, i didn't realise that my second version assumes you've already used it. Which obviously if you start from the second version, isn't the case! :oops:

I'll get it fixed along with adding the restore feature, and have a new version out soon! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version 2.1 has the above mentioned bug fixed. It also creates a restoration script (Restore.vbs) along with your backup files. To restore these files to their original positions, simply run the script.

:o NEW CODE BELOW :o
Last edited by trixmoto on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
judas

Post by judas »

Hey there trix...nice script, but I have a couple of problems/questions/suggestions:

Problem: Zip functionallity not woriking.
When i choose to save the backup to a zip file (MMBackup.zip) it just doesn't works...it takes a LONG time and doesnt finishes...teh first time i tried i got a message that told me the script was talking longer than expected, i told it to continue and then, when i saw the archive it was still creating, it was over 220MB!!!! what can be wrong there? endless loop?

Question: Which MediaMonkey.ini should be backed up?
I'm asking this cause when i backup up to a folder it backs up the MediaMonkey.ini thats located under C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\ (which only has 4 lines) and not the one that is under \MyMusic\MediaMonkey\ folder (where the DB is located) that seems to have a lot more entries and info...is this the correct behaviour?

Suggestion: Exclusive Option
I don't see why somebody would like to backup to a folder AND to a zip archive...the irst time i ran the script i was confused as to what to check in this two fields: i checked them both cause i thought i should specify a path and a filename for the zip archive (Or something like that)...dunno if its hard but it would make sens if you chose in a drop down list or a bullet or something EITHER backup to a folder (and there you select path) OR to a Zip Archive (there you can select the path and filename of the zip file).

how does that sound????

thanks and keep it coming

judas
martyrs

Runtime error

Post by martyrs »

Hi, when I run your backup script I get the following error

Error #58 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
File already exists
File: "C:\Program files\mediamonkey\scripts\backup.vbs", line: 163, column: 6

simon
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@judas
1) The zip feature copies the files into the folder you specify as "Output location" and then zips everything (*.*) in that folder, so make sure this is a unique folder that does not already contain files. (There isn't an endless loop. In fact, there isn't a loop!)

2) I'm having problems reliably selecting which .ini file - it should be the larger one that is backed up. Can you email me the .ini file which is being incorrectly selected please?

3) If I made it an exclusive option, someone would ask for it to be inclusive! This way you can easily tick which you want. You might want to create a zip archive to store away, but also have a folder (as onkel_enno has mentioned earlier) to use as an auto-restore.

@martyrs
This error is happening on a line which is copying a folder - doesn't seem to fit. Which version are you using?
judas

Post by judas »

thanks trix:

1. so thats whats happening...mm.to test the script i did write c:\ :-)

2. sure will...

3. You're probably right on this one...both options might be better.

anyway...its worth saying somewhere that thing about the zip archive...yhat everything should bebacked to a empty folder (as you may just want the zip to be in the desktop or my docs or something!)))

thanks for the reply...

judas
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I think I'll just use something more specific than "*.*" when creating the zip file - that's the best solution.

Also, the next version will be cleverer when selecting the INI file (hopefully!) :)
martyrs

Backup

Post by martyrs »

trixmoto wrote:@martyrs
This error is happening on a line which is copying a folder - doesn't seem to fit. Which version are you using?
Hi Trix
I used your first version of the backup script and it worked fine. It made a backup of the database in the specified folder but when I installed your next version it failed because I already had the backuped database existing on my pc. I deleted this backup.mdb and ran your script and everything worked ok apart from zipping the files.

It looks for xzip.dll. I dont have this file - is it a windows xp file? I am using windows98 2nd edition.

Love your scripts, keep the good work!

martyrs
judas

Post by judas »

Hey there martyrs...the dll file is linked in the top of the forum..maybe like the 3rd post...you can get it from here:

http://trix.dork.com/files/XZip.dll just put it in your scripts folder.

judas
martyrs

xzip.dll

Post by martyrs »

judas wrote:Hey there martyrs...the dll file is linked in the top of the forum..maybe like the 3rd post...you can get it from here:

http://trix.dork.com/files/XZip.dll just put it in your scripts folder.

judas
DOH! Must read postings more closely in future!

martyrs
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, you need to put this dll in your scripts folder.

Or you can download the installer for this script from my website, which includes the dll file needed.
martyrs

Backup

Post by martyrs »

trixmoto wrote:Yes, you need to put this dll in your scripts folder.

Or you can download the installer for this script from my website, which includes the dll file needed.
I installed the xzip.dll in the scripts folder but I now get another error message :

Error
File "C:\Program File\MediaMonkey\scripts\backup.vbs", line:399, column 2

I click on the button on the error box and then get a second error message :

Error happened during script execution.
The system cannot find the file specified.

These messages only appear if I have asked the script to create a zip file and after the script has asked register the dll file on the pc.

martrys
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@martyrs: If you click "Start, Run" and type "cmd" - do you get a black console window appear?
martyrs

Backup

Post by martyrs »

trixmoto wrote:@martyrs: If you click "Start, Run" and type "cmd" - do you get a black console window appear?
No but if I type "command" I do.

martyrs
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

command is win9x/me, cmd is xp/2k/nt.