Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

nynaevelan

Re: Backup 5.3 - Updated 15/01/2010

Post by nynaevelan »

No, definately do not want it to delete the whole folder, but like you said it might get complicated. For my setting it would work because it would be able to delete the subfolders within the folder but I am not sure if it would work in all scenarios. I guess it all depends on if the user uses a parent folder for their backups.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

martialartsguy wrote:Personally, I delete every backup except the last 2-3. I of course do this manually, but having an auto-delete feature for this would be great. I wouldn't vote for having a 'delete folder' option.

My setup is different, I keep the first and last backup of each month, but I store these in a different location, but otherwise I try to keep them all from the month and then at the end of the month I delete them all except for the first and last and any special ones if necessary.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Sorry I'm confused, you've said "having an auto-delete feature for this would be great" and "I wouldn't vote for having a 'delete folder' option" - don't they contradict each other?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

trixmoto wrote:Well that is more difficult, or certainly more risky. The trouble is that depending on your settings, not all files in the folder might have been created during the backup, therefore it would not be correct to delete the whole folder but instead I would need to store the location of every file created within the backup. Or do people think I'm overcomplicating this and it should just delete the whole folder?
No, I definitely agree with your initial thoughts. I don't want everything to be auto-deleted. I tend to store some odd backup files in that folder.
--
The gpzbc
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

What's the benefit of having output folders laying around as opposed to Archives?
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

None that I can see. I consider the output folder to be the go-to folder for a quick restore. But I only need one of those if I have many archives from previous backups. I believe that was Trixmoto's original intent. ...and it seems to work well. :D
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, personally I use one single output path which will always contain the latest backup, I then use mask fields to make sure I get an output archive on my external drive (and a second archive on my backup partition drive) every day. As I'm developing scripts a lot it's important to keep very regular backups! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

gpzbc wrote:I consider the output folder to be the go-to folder for a quick restore.
Same here.

sebadrude

Post by sebadrude »

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and new to the Backup script -- looks VERY promising, thank you for that work!
But I have the following two points:
  • I cannot activate the two fields "Output Archive" and "Second Archive".
  • Although I would like to maintain two backup copies, the script would ask me every time if I want to overwrite the output folder, and would delete previous backups, or would quit saying "output folder already exists".
Further more, I do not understand the difference between "Output folder" and "output path". Therefore my question:
  • Is there a help file or Wiki page which explains all the functionalities, or do I have to search the entire forum messages to understand the details?
Thanx in advance for your help
Sebastian

MM 3.1.1.1261, Gold
backup 5.3
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Welcome sebadrude! I'm glad you found the Backup script.

RobertSmith took the time to outline and explain each configuration option. His post is here. http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p215366

Keep in mind that his explanation will not include the two newest options that were added in the newest version.
1)Option to only keep a certain number of archive files.
2)Option to automatically run regularly whilst MM is running.

See if RobertSmith's explanation helps you understand it better, then post back if you still need help.

Good luck!
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The archive checkboxes are disabled if the zip component cannot be automatically registered. You need to find "XZip.dll" which will be in the "Scripts" folder and register it. Personally I move it to the Windows folder first (the script attempts to do this, so it might be there already). You then need to right-click on a Command (cmd.exe) shortcut and select "run as administrator" and enter a command like this...

Code: Select all

regsvr32 "<path to file>\XZip.dll"
Next time you run the script, the checkboxes should be enabled.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I'm using v5.2 and have a question. I can't make any changes "stick" unless I make the changes and then Click Back Up. Does that make sense? I know it's no big deal, but seems like a "save" function would be nice.

Also, RobertSmith's post doesn't have the image anymore so the comments are a little hard to understand.

Edit: must have been computer I was on. See it now.
Last edited by rrfpacker on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

You'll have to let Trixmoto verify, but yes, I believe that is expected behavior.

That's weird. :-? When I view the post at this link, I can see his image just fine.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p215366
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Because of all the auto-backups, etc, it doesn't make sense to change the settings without having tested them. Otherwise you could make a change which breaks your backup and never find out until you try to restore and find you don't have any!
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Well this is very interesting. I have been using this Backup script without any problems for over a year. Then all of a sudden I tried to run it this evening and I get this error message.

But I haven't changed anything on my computer set up at all. In fact, I successfully ran the Backup script just an hour before. So I'm puzzled about why this is happening.

I tried running MM as administrator and that did not help.
I have UAC turned off in Windows 7.
The only thing out of the ordinary is that I installed Bex's Add/Remove Playstat script right before I ran the Backup script and got this error message. But I tried uninstalling Bex's Add/Remove Playstat script and it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas? :-?
Thanks!
--
The gpzbc