Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MusicBringer

Re: Backup 5.4 - Updated 09/07/2010

Post by MusicBringer »

I dunno if I am understanding this "maximum size" issue properly.
Are you talking about the zip file that Backup 5.4 makes when you tick the Output archive box.
I have a library of 1047.3 GB.
My MM.DB is 244,723 KB.

Backup 5.4 seems to behave for me.
I have just opened MM and I have the script run after a short delay.
As specified, in addition to the backup folder, it has made a zip file of 57,980 KB.

Hope that helps - or have I got the wrong end of the stick :roll:
:)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The zip component will not accept files of a certain size, it throws a "cannot allocate memory" error, but apparently it depends on your available RAM. So it's the size of the .DB file that's an issue, the tracks themselves are not included in the zip file. I've tested up to 660Mb on my machine at that works, a 3Gb file doesn't, but as it'll be different on different machines I think trapping the error is the best way to go anyway.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

trixmoto wrote:...apparently it depends on your available RAM.
I have Win 7 x64 with 8 Gig of RAM 8)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That's interesting because one of the component's known issues is that it "will not work natively on 64-bit operating systems". I'm glad it's working for you though! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Perhaps its worth saying, although it appears to make a backup successfully I have never had occasion to try a Restore on this Win7 x64 system.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well restore not an issue, we're talking about the creation of the zip file.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

MusicBringer wrote:Perhaps its worth saying, although it appears to make a backup successfully I have never had occasion to try a Restore on this Win7 x64 system.
Out of curiosity when performing a restore do you use the backup scripts method? The method I use when I need to perform a restore is to manually put all the files back to their original location and then install the registry info from the Mediamonkey.reg file. Many, many moons ago I was never able to get the restore.vbs to work correctly so I got out of the habit of using it. What is the proper method of using the restore.vbs to restore the data/files?
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

nynaevelan wrote:
MusicBringer wrote:Perhaps its worth saying, although it appears to make a backup successfully I have never had occasion to try a Restore on this Win7 x64 system.
Out of curiosity when performing a restore do you use the backup scripts method? The method I use when I need to perform a restore is to manually put all the files back to their original location and then install the registry info from the Mediamonkey.reg file. Many, many moons ago I was never able to get the restore.vbs to work correctly so I got out of the habit of using it. What is the proper method of using the restore.vbs to restore the data/files?
That is precisely how I restore too.

And the zip component works fine for me on Win7 64-bit.
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Re: Backup 5.5 - Updated 15/08/2010

Post by trixmoto »

New version (5.5) is available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added separate options to control retention of output paths
- Added option to check for changes and show confirmation
- Added path confirmation popups to the restoration script
- Added extra status checks when creating archive files
- Added database file stored separately if too big for archive
- Added export m3us option to create relative track links
dypsis

Re: Backup 5.5 - Error executing script event

Post by dypsis »

Since upgrading to Backup 5.5, I get this error message when shutting down MediaMonkey.
Error executing script event.
I don't have Backup set to backup at startup or shutdown.
MusicBringer

Re: Backup 5.5 - Error executing script event

Post by MusicBringer »

dypsis wrote:Since upgrading to Backup 5.5, I get this error message when shutting down MediaMonkey.
Error executing script event.
Me too. :(
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Me three.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

trixmoto wrote:Hopefully your output path is more like "C:\path\to\folder\MediaMonkey Backups\Temp\"
Correct
trixmoto wrote:and by "RAR" you actually mean "ZIP"
Correct as well
trixmoto wrote:If the output path is the same location each time you need to tick the "overwrite previous backup" option.
Hm. Just that option, or that one as well as the "cleanup" option? If these options are independent, then what does "cleanup" do?

Sticking to 5.4 for the time being, given the I've seen the error report(s) prior to upgrading.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I haven't received this error once and I've tried all 3 backup types, can anyone give me any more details?

The "cleanup output path" deletes all of the files in the output path before a backup is creating - this means that for example script files that have been deleting will not be in the next backup, whereas if you don't tick it then old files will remain in the backup.

The "overwrite previous backup" allows an already existing folder to be used as the backup path. This option was added because people were using output paths like "C:\" and then wondering why it all went wrong. It's a precautionary measure, and unless you are using mask fields will always be necessary (and will often be necessary even with mask fields).
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

trixmoto wrote:I haven't received this error once and I've tried all 3 backup types, can anyone give me any more details?
Trix.
This error occurs without actually using Backup.
It happens when shutting down MediaMonkey, so I suspect it may have something to do with performing a backup at shutdown even though I don't it set. I have seen this error with that setting on.

I've gone back to 5.4 now with no problems.