freedbSubmitter 2.6 [Updated 2021/07/06]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gbilley

freedbSubmitter 2.6 [Updated 2021/07/06]

Post by gbilley »

Description:
A MediaMonkey addon that enables you to submit new discs to the freedb database or revise existing freedb entries using your MediaMonkey album and song data.

Requirements:
MediaMonkey 4+

Download URL:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/download/704/

Installation:
Double click the freedbSubmitter26.mmip file.

If you prefer to install manually, follow these steps:
  • Open freedbSubmitter26.mmip in a Zip utility
  • Copy the freedbSubmitter folder to %appdata%\MediaMonkey\Scripts\
  • Add the following entry to the Scripts.ini in the Scripts folder:

Code: Select all

[freedbSubmitter]
Filename=freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs
Procname=launchSubmitter
Order=100
;The order number determines where this addon will appear in the Tools>Scripts menu. You can change it to any number you prefer.
DisplayName=freedbSubmitter
Description=Submit disc metadata to freedb from MediaMonkey
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0
Manual installation requires you to restart MediaMonkey to use the new addon.

Configuration:
The addon provides the options to preview your entry before submitting, and to include extended data from your Album Comment and Song Comment fields. You can configure default values for these options by opening the freedbSubmitter.hta file in a text editor and changing the values of the viewSubmitDefault and sendExtDefault variables. Values can be True or False (case-insensitive, no quotes).

It's also a good idea to ensure that you have a valid email address entered into MediaMonkey's User Name and User Domain fields under Options>Network (Proxy and Freedb)>Freedb Settings.

Usage:
FreedbSubmitter can be used in two different modes -- basic and extended. Basic mode is the default and easiest to use. Extended mode is more complex but allows to include your MM album and song comments as extended data to freedb. Extended data in freedb refers to additional disc and track data that doesn't fit into freedb's basic metadata fields.

In basic mode you can submit new or revised basic CD metadata like album title, artist, date, genre, and track titles, all taken from the disc you've selected in MediaMonkey. If you submit a new disc, no extended data from your album and song comment fields will be sent to freedb. If you revise an existing disc, the submission will retain freedb's existing extended data. Your MediaMonkey album and song comments will not be included.

Follow these steps to use freedbSubmitter in basic mode:
  • Expand the Location node in the MM Music Tree
  • Select the CD you would like to submit to freedb
  • Ensure that the MM Song List is sorted by ascending Track Number
  • Open freedbSubmitter from the Tools>Scripts menu
  • In the freedbSubmitter window, click the Query freedb button
  • The freedb query results will be displayed
  • If your disc does not exist on freedb, you will see a freedb Category dropdown list and a Submit button
  • Select a category for your disc (the category doesn't need to match your MM genre)
  • If you see a message that inexact matches were found, you will not be able to submit your disc data
  • If you would like to preview your submission, check the Preview Submission checkbox
  • Click the Submit button
  • The submission results will be displayed
  • If you see a message that a DiscID collision has occurred, select a different freedb category and click Submit again (once again, the category doesn't need to match your MM genre).
  • If you'd like to submit another CD to freedb, make your selection in a MM CD Location node, then click the Refresh button in freedbSubmitter
Extended mode can be selected by checking the Submit Extended Data checkbox next to the Query freedb button. You can also make extended mode the default by setting the sendExtDefault variable in the freedbSubmitter.hta file to True using a text editor.

In extended mode, freedb submissions will include basic disc metadata as well as extended disc data and extended track data. Extended disc data is obtained from your MM album comment field, while extended track data is from your song comment fields.

Follow these steps to use freedbSubmitter in extended mode:
  • Expand the Location node in the MM Music Tree
  • Select the CD you would like to submit to freedb
  • Ensure that the Song List is sorted by ascending Track Number
  • Open freedbSubmitter from the Tools>Scripts menu
  • In the freedbSubmitter window, ensure the Submit Extended Data checkbox is checked.
  • Click the Query freedb button
  • The freedb query results will be displayed
  • If your disc does not exist on freedb, you will see a freedb Category dropdown list and a Submit button
  • Select a category for your disc (the category doesn't need to match your MM genre)
  • If you see a message that inexact matches were found, you will not be able to submit your disc data
  • If you would like to preview your submission, check the Preview Submission checkbox
  • Click the Submit button. Data in your MM album and song comment fields will be submitted to freedb as extended data.
  • The submission results will be displayed
  • If you see a message that a DiscID collision has occurred, select a different freedb category and click Submit again (once again, the category doesn't need to match your MM genre).
  • If freedb finds a matching disc, you'll see box that summarizes the extended data in freedb and MM.
  • If the extended data is identical in freedb and MM, you can click the Submit button.
  • If the extended data differs, you'll need to click the Extended Data button to review or revise extended disc and track data.
  • After reviewing the extended data, click the Close button in the Extended Data window to return to the main interface.
  • Click the Submit button to complete your submission
  • If you'd like to submit another CD to freedb, make your selection in a MM CD Location node, then click the Refresh button in freedbSubmitter.
Additional Extended Data Information:
When MediaMonkey imports disc metadata data from freedb, extended track data is saved in MM's song comment field. However, extended disc data is not imported or saved at all.

Since MediaMonkey does not include extended disc data when importing from freedb, extra care has been taken to avoid accidentally overwriting existing freedb data that you may not have been aware of. If you are revising an existing disc, you'll see a data comparison summary of freedb and MediaMonkey extended data. If there are differences in the data, you'll need to review the differences and make any desired edits before submitting to freedb. Please use care when editing extended data to avoid deleting content from previous freedb contributors.

Because extended disc data might be particularly prone to being inadvertantly overwritten, the data from both freedb and MediaMonkey are combined into a single text box. You can edit the text box's contents as needed. When you click Submit, the contents of the text box will be saved to MediaMonkey's album comment field and sent with your freedb submission as extended disc data.

For extended track data, you'll see a list of album tracks in which tracks with differing freedb and MM data are highlighted. You can click the track to see the specific freedb and MM data. If you'd like to revise the track data, you'll need to edit the MM song comment field for that track. Unlike disc data, track data cannot be directly edited in freedbSubmitter. Whatever data is in MM's song comment fields will be sent to freedb as extended track data when you click Submit.

Version History:
1.00 [2016-08-14]
- Initial release
1.01 [2016-08-17]
- Changes install/uninstall configuration to eliminate the requirement to run as admin
1.02 [2019-10-20]
- Fix faulty installation script implemented in version 1.01
2.0 [2019-10-30]
- Adds capability to revise discs that already exist in freedb
2.1 [2019-11-29]
- Adds capability to help prevent accidentally corrupting or deleting existing freedb extended disc data during MM submissions
2.2 [2020-12-29]
- Fixes faulty library node detection
2.3 [2021-01-03]
- Reconfigures addon to support gnudb.org, a new host for the freedb database
- Adds capability to store freedb category in MM Medias table
- Adds capability to search for the CD currently selected in MM
2.4 [2021-01-18]
- Improves handling of multisession discs
2.5 [2021-01-25]
- Fixes CD TOC read problem introduced by version 2.4 changes
2.6 [2021-07-06]
- Replaces Internet Explorer popup windows with HTML layers
- Error checking fixes and improvements
- Fixes empty Album Year field problem when submitting album data [changes MM 0 default to "" in freedb submission]
- Fixes a problem that occurs when usernames contain spaces
- Fixes a problem that occurs when freedb disc collisions are encountered
Last edited by gbilley on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:28 am, edited 10 times in total.
Peke

Re: freedbSubmitter 1.01

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Nice one. You know that MME database contain Freedb/CDDB Id for Audio CDs already in Library?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Thanks. I do indeed know the discid is in the database Medias table, as is the disc TOC. The script makes use of both fields.

Cheers,

Gary
Peke

Post by Peke »

I was just checking :)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Vega

Post by Vega »

Hey, I really think it might be useful to "update" the freedb sometimes...i'm a avid hardcore music user and have notice that the freedb is sometimes wrong or useless and i'm having to correct data that is already on freedb...so i would love to correct this incorrect data or make additional usage metdata song data available to anyone that might need it in the future. Please advise or update this app if you can ...it only adds or contributes to the date already exitstin on freedb, why not? Thanks for the contribution and addition to MM..Cheers!
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Hi Vega,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and apologies for my late response. I just today (7 May 2017) received an email informing me there was a new post in this thread.

I totally agree with your view on updating and improving freedb data. and I did seriously consider including an update capability. However I'm still concerned about MM's limitations retrieving all data from freedb. I detailed those concerns in the "Additional Information" section of my original post, but to recap here, MM does not appear to download and save extended data from freedb (or at least for me it doesn't). Given that, a MM revision to an existing freedb entry would result in the loss of the extended data. Some freedb entries include very extensive and useful details in their disc and track extended data fields. It would be a pity to lose that data, and a disservice to the original contributor.

Even if MM v5 included the capability to save extended data, and I added a revision capability to the extension, there is still the danger of all the existing MM v4 records to potentially wipe out freedb extended data in revised entries.

I think we are on the same page regarding cleaning up freedb, so I hope you'll understand my reasoning. But I'm also interested in extending the usefulness of MM and freedb, so if you have any thoughts on how to do that without wreaking further havoc on freedb data, please let me know.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
Ridgeback

Post by Ridgeback »

Sorry to ask stupid question:

Configuration:
The extension allows you the options to preview your entry before submitting, and to include extended data from your Album Comment and Song Comment fields. You can configure default values for these options by opening the freedbSubmitter.hta file in a text editor and changing the values of the viewSubmitDefault and sendExtDefault variables.

Change values to what? True?

I'm new to this.
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Hi Ridgeback,

Not a stupid question at all, and definitely nothing to be sorry about. I should have noted the possible values in the the configuration with a comment instead of assuming users would intuit the options.

You are correct The options for both settings are true and false (not case-sensitive, and no quotes).
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

Am I missing something here. Doesn't MMW already allow a submit to freedb option without the need for a plugin?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Nop, it can only retrieve from FreeDB.
AlanE

Post by AlanE »

I'm a recent MM user and FreeDB user. I've ripped a number of CDs and have adjusted most of their metadata so thought that I'd see that it get submitted to FreeDB. When I select a folder from the "Media Tree" and then go to Tools>Scripts>FreedbSubmitter I get the error message "A CD must be selected in the Location node of the MediaMonkey Music tree. Do not select a child node of the CD. Select a CD node, then click the Refresh button."

I don't know what this message is telling me to do exactly. I've followed the directions in the forum entry, above, but can't seem to get to the point of submitted a new entry to FreeDB. Can you assist.

I'm using MM 4.1.20 on Windows 10.

Thanks,
Alan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to select the CD drive in the Media Tree: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... Tracks/4.0
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

I just installed this add on, but can't get to work. I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

When I try to run it, I get
Error #-2147024894 - File: "C:\Users\username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs", Line: 7, Column: 1

I deliberately left my user name off of the above, but it is correct in the message.

Thanks!
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Hi sallygr,

Sorry for the delayed response. Usually the forum automatically sends me an email when someone posts a message to this thread, but I didn't get one this time. And as you might guess, I don't check the forum very often.

Anyway, I don't have enough information to precisely diagnose your issue. The script line where the problem occurs suggests that the following file can't be found:

"C:\Users\username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.hta"

So my suggestion would be to see if that file exists on your computer. If it doesn't, you might try reinstalling the addon. And if that doesn't work, you could try installing the addon manually. There are detailed instructions at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85766

At the moment, I can't think of any other suggestions.

Please try the suggestions above and let me know if anything works or not.

And don't hesitate to reply if you have any other questions.

Good luck.

-- Gary
gbilley

freedbSubmitter Update

Post by gbilley »

For anyone interested, I've just submitted an update to freedbSubmitter.

Version 2.1 now enables you to submit revised CD metadata to disc entries that already exist in freedb.

You can download the update at this URL:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/download/614/
Last edited by gbilley on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.