Some DLNA questions

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jonkol

Some DLNA questions

Post by jonkol »

Hi,

Been playing around with DLNA and MediaMonkey again, now with much better result than earlier. Thanks!
I have several computers with MediaMonkey at home and love the ability to control them with DLNA.

My main problem is that while I can change the name of the DLNA server in Mediamonkey (not that important as I only want one of them to be a server), I don't seem to be able to rename the renderer!
Very confusing to have three '"Mediamonkey renderer" to choose from.
Have I missed something, or is this a feature request?

Also I cant find the perfect DLNA application on Android

2player is the only one with a widget, but cant play to other renderers, only local. (error when selecting MediaMonkey renderer)
BubbleUpnP seems to be the best in general but doesnt have a widget. Also doesnt support \external access (without their server).
Any pointers to something better?

Another problem: I cant render to my Onkyo Amplifier. I get errors no matter what control point I use. Probably error on the Onkyo side.... Is there any config I can do?

Thanks!

Jonas
Nova5

Re: Some DLNA questions

Post by Nova5 »

Do you want the external access to play to your phone from anywhere? For this I use AudioGalaxy. Though its another little app to have constantly running in the background on your systems.
jonkol

Post by jonkol »

No, thats not the important part, even though it would be nice (without more sw running).

The important part is that all Mediamonky renderers have the same name and I cant keep them apart!!
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Ensure you have RECENTLY allowed the device on the MM DLNA server for access. Right now (4.0.6) it has a tendancy to forget devices. I have allowed my tablet, phone, xbox, etc numerous times. It constantly loses them. I have Automatically Allow enabled.. but this doesn't work. I have to manually allow the devices.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've not seen this before. Does it happen after restart, do you have a backup solution on your PC and do other things seem to be forgotten as well?
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Its only the devices under the Access control List that get lost with annoying regularlity.

Since my last post.. the Xbox has vanished from the list.. and I had JUST allowed it before that post. By minutes. But the Tablet which was allowed at the same time, did not.

There are also two entries for BubbleUPnP from my tablet. one with the tablet's mac address, the other with just XX-XX-XX-XX-XX. Same IP Address. This wasn't there before.

MM is running on WHS2011. Server backup is not configured at this time.

I am going to uncheck Automatic and see if things keep getting lost.
Last edited by Nova5 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

With auto unchecked, and notify of new checked, the xbox gets denied access (makes sense as its not on the auth list). But I did NOT get notified on new devices wanting access.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Nova5 wrote:MM is running on WHS2011.
May be the problem as it isn't supported. I've neither seen this happen here nor seen it reported before. You may want to send a debug log (step 4b) capturing this and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=20&t=69
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

I don't think that will work as I usually don't watch it that close. And you might not be interested in chasing through a months worth of log time to look for whats going on.

I just dropped a edit into the post about the xbox vanishing.

The Tablet didn't vanish and it was added at the same time.

Add this to whats going on... And an LG TV that has been in there for some time, hasn't vanished.
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

I have also Allowed devices, closed out MM to ensure it "saves" the file it puts the device allowance in. And it still loses devices, but not immediatly after restarting the program. So its not due to WHS rebooting after updates are installed and Force Closing MM if needed to reboot.

WHS2011 is a stripped down version of Server 2008 (not that I expect thats supported either)
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Kicked in a Helpdesk ticket, 50Meg Debug file sits in MediaFire. Link provided in ticket submission.
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

This may also prove of some use, has happened the last few times I try to access MM DLNA server from my phone( I should say.. I notice it then, as I have to log into the server via remote desktop and clear it), a previously authorized device and automatic approve is checked in MM server options

202.. is the TV. the device that never vanishes. And the TV is not being told to play anything, I send files to the 360 normally, right now its just on to watch a BluRay, and I'm checking the server via BubbleUPnP for my changes to the tags of AVI's to take effect.