PS3 Cannot See MediaMonkey Media Server

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

scottycope

PS3 Cannot See MediaMonkey Media Server

Post by scottycope »

I am almost certain that this question has come up before but I cannot, for the life of me, find it anywhere on these forums.

Anyway, I'm trying to stream my MM music to my PS3. I have port forwarding set up correctly. I have the MM Media Server active and running. However, when I turn on my PS3, it does not find the MM Media Server like it's supposed to.

I am, however, able to stream these same songs to my other computer that is running Windows 7.

My PS3 is wired using a MOCA connection and is able to connect successfully to the internet. I'm currently running MM v.4.0.6.1501.

Can anyone help me figure out why my PS3 and MM cannot connect? When I go into the Access Control tab of the MM server, I can see my windows 7 machine and access is enabled. However, I don't see the PS3 listed there as an option for me to even enable it.

Help please! I've always had all of my issues resolved here in the forums before.

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: PS3 Cannot See MediaMonkey Media Server

Post by Lowlander »

Is the PS3 on the same network as DLNA discovery only works on the same network.

Post by Guest »

It should be. I know, previously, I was able to stream from MM to my PS3. A few months ago, I had to reblast my PC and haven't tried to stream MM to my PS3 until now. No network settings have changed. I can see both my PC and PS3 from my router. Are there some settings somewhere or some type of access/exception that I need to allow?

It's like MM is just ignoring the existence of my PS3. What else can I check?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Guest wrote:It should be. I know, previously, I was able to stream from MM to my PS3. A few months ago, I had to reblast my PC and haven't tried to stream MM to my PS3 until now. No network settings have changed. I can see both my PC and PS3 from my router. Are there some settings somewhere or some type of access/exception that I need to allow?

It's like MM is just ignoring the existence of my PS3. What else can I check?
If you had to blast the pc then something from windows was removed or possible you missed an update from them that is needed?

Thats the only thing i can see that you give us that you did. I say that because mm was working before you blasted the pc.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

That could be. Is there a checklist of things that need to be installed for MM to be recognized by the PC? I'm not even sure what to check at this point.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd suggest you try WMP and its DLNA server and see if the PS3 sees it. If it does the problem is probably with MediaMonkey, otherwise it may lie with the PS3, the network or Firewall settings on the PC.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I had an issue like this and it turned out to be a problem with my router. What kind of router do you have?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

@Lowlander,

I have installed WMP 11 on my Win XP machine but my PS3 was not able to see it. In fact, when I enabled sharing in WMP, it did not see my PS3, but it looks like it did see the machine that the WMP is running on. I know this because the MAC address that I saw was the address from my PC.

@nohitter151,

I'm using an Actiontec MI424WR router. It's the standard router that comes with my Internet service. The router hasn't changed since I had to reinstall Win XP a few months ago. I didn't change any settings on the router. My PS3 is wired via a MOCA device and both the PC and PS3 should be on the same network.

I have exceptions set up in my Windows firewall for Mediamonkey and the port that MM is using to share.

Where can I look next?

I really appreciate your input as I try to work through these issues.

EDIT: Are there any codecs that MM requires in order for the DLNA to work successfully? I vaguely remember having to install codes for MM but I can't remember what they were for. It might have been to stream mkv files. If so, ignore this edit. :)

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For the MediaMonkey server itself to be seen no codecs are required. Codecs will only be required if MediaMonkey is set to Auto-Convert content send over DLNA.

If the PS3 fails to see both MediaMonkey and WMP make sure that DLNA is properly enabled (Sorry don't have a PS3 so don't know where you should look), otherwise it may be your network and less likely your Firewall (as another machine did see MediaMonkey).
scottycope

Post by scottycope »

OK, I checked my PS3 and it looks like the service to connect to media servers was set to enabled. Just to make sure, I disabled it and re-enabled it.

However, I'm still not able to see my PC from my PS3. What next? How can I verify that my PS3 and PC are on the same network? Like I said, I'm sure they are but will verify that if you know how I can check it.

Other than that, any other ideas? I find it frustrating that it was working before and now, after a reinstall, it's not. Since I'm using XP, do I need SP3 installed or is SP2 enough?

I'm just grasping at straws here.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not sure. Have you tried disabling all firewalls on the PC and see if this works?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

scottycope wrote:
I'm using an Actiontec MI424WR router. It's the standard router that comes with my Internet service. The router hasn't changed since I had to reinstall Win XP a few months ago. I didn't change any settings on the router. My PS3 is wired via a MOCA device and both the PC and PS3 should be on the same network.

I have exceptions set up in my Windows firewall for Mediamonkey and the port that MM is using to share.

Where can I look next?
Same router I have (you must have Verizon FIOS?)

Anyway the problem was a router setting. I'm sure if you ran any uPnP software on the same PC you would see there's a problem specifically with that PC and the rest of the network.

The setting is in the router settings:
1. Log in to router 192.168.1.1
2. Advanced tab at top of screen
3. IGMP proxy
4. Switch from Enabled to Disabled

scottycope

Post by scottycope »

VIVA EL MEDIAMONKEY!!!

Haha. OK. You can probably tell by my excitement that changing the IGMP setting on my router fixed everything. Right away, my PS3 was able to see the MM server and play the songs immediately. I guess the question is - what caused this change on the router?

Yes, I do have Verizon Fios and I did exactly as you said.

nohitter151 and Lowlander, I have to thank you BOTH for all your help and input. I really appreciate you guys taking time to help me out.

Thanks again for all your help!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

scottycope wrote:VIVA EL MEDIAMONKEY!!!

Haha. OK. You can probably tell by my excitement that changing the IGMP setting on my router fixed everything. Right away, my PS3 was able to see the MM server and play the songs immediately. I guess the question is - what caused this change on the router?
The default setting is enabled - no idea what it does but it's not a security concern as it's an internal network setting only.

scottycope

Post by scottycope »

That's odd that the default setting is Enabled, yet I was able to stream from MM to PS3 previously. Perhaps there was a router firmware update that changed this setting default? Not sure. I'm just thrilled that it's working now.

This really made my week already! Thanks again!