Problem playing files from Synology NAS via DLNA

Get answers about how to share with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

colin_e

Problem playing files from Synology NAS via DLNA

Post by colin_e » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:43 am

MediaMonkey: 4.0.7.1511
Synology OS: DSM 2.0-0728

I have a (6 years old but still going strong) Synology Cubestation CS406 machine, on which i have my music collection. The main music collection is ripped to FLAC, but I also have pre-transcoded MP3 versions on there for loading onto my kids portable MP3 players.

I also run Squeezeserver on the Synology, but that does hit the little machine hard (only 128MB RAM) and i'm considering using DLNA as an alternative.

Problem-

MediaMonkey works fine to rip/catalogue/play music files to and from the NAS when using it as a file server via Samba. However i've tried every successive version of Mediamonkey from 3.0.x to 4.0.7 today and never had any luck playing files from the NAS via DLNA.

I originally thought this was a problem between the Synology and MM in recognising the FLAC files. I was made suspicious by the fact that if you browse the NAS via DLNA from MM the FLAC files show up with paths like-

<ip address of NAS>/db/0/c0008?field=12345&id=12345.mp3

(notice the ".mp3" at the end there).

However I've since proven that neither FLAC or MP3 files play, double-clicking the track in MM typically greys-out the track, and in some cases blanks out the "Path" field.

Is this a doomed venture with this relatively old version of the NAS software (the CS406 can't run DSM v3) or is there some debugging i can do to the track down the problem?

Regards: colin_e
Regards: Colin

rovingcowboy

Re: Problem playing files from Synology NAS via DLNA

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Lowlander or nohitter151 just answered another post simular to yours seems like your not alone with this error one of them should be along or some one else that know what to do. But i wish to give you credit for keeping the 128mb ram computer going. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Have you tried playing the files fron Synology NAS via DLNA using another DLNA client (like WMP)? If that also fails the problem most likely lies with the NAS or the network connection between NAS and PC.

<ip address of NAS>/db/0/c0008?field=12345&id=12345.mp3 indicates the NAS is doing on-the-fly conversion of FLAC files to MP3 when serving the tracks over DLNA.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Lowlander wrote:Have you tried playing the files fron Synology NAS via DLNA using another DLNA client (like WMP)? If that also fails the problem most likely lies with the NAS or the network connection between NAS and PC.
Windows Media Player detects the library on the NAS but doesn't find any music in there (not even the MP3 files, which WMP should be able to handle)
Lowlander wrote:<ip address of NAS>/db/0/c0008?field=12345&id=12345.mp3 indicates the NAS is doing on-the-fly conversion of FLAC files to MP3 when serving the tracks over DLNA.
Yes I was worried about that. There is no way on earth the little single core chip in the CS406 can handle on the fly transcoding, but I can't see any options on the NAS to disable that.

I guess it's likely the firmware in the CS406 is just too old and buggy for this to work. I was just looking for a way to lighten the load on the NAS and give me some more player options. I believe Logitech have EOL'ed the Squeezebox Duet now (the player I use in my main room through the Hi-Fi amp). 5 years ago DLNA was still new technology and pretty flakey. Now I think it's a more viable option, but my little old NAS box may not be able to work in the brave new world :-}
Regards: Colin

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 pm

It would seem the problem lies with the NAS if WMP also fails to play files. You may want to check if updated firmware is available. If you're running Twonky Server on the NAS you may have a separate setup port for it. (for example on QNAP it is IP:9000 to get to the Twonky Server settings).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)