Genre shows numbers instead of text for many titles

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

bege

Genre shows numbers instead of text for many titles

Post by bege »

Fairphone 3, /e/OS (based on LineageOS for microG, Android 10)
MMA 1.4.5.0960

The apps Musikolet and MediaInfo show all genres, MMA just numbers for several titles
Lowlander

Re: Genre shows numbers instead of text for many titles

Post by Lowlander »

Did you Sync the files from MediaMonkey for Windows to the phone with MMA on it or did you just have MMA scan files on your device?

For the latter, the tags are being picked up by the Android Media Scanner instead of MMA. What file type(s) are you using? MMA 2.0 should work a lot better in this scenario and it's currently in pre-test release development.
Peke

Post by Peke »

bege wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 pm Fairphone 3, /e/OS (based on LineageOS for microG, Android 10)
MMA 1.4.5.0960

The apps Musikolet and MediaInfo show all genres, MMA just numbers for several titles
Main problem is that at some point tags got corrupted because ID3v1.1 had predefined genre and was saving it as number in tags. It looks liek some some Apps recreate Genre structure, by not allowing Number to be Genre eg. "(xxx)" where xxx genre ID from this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ID3v1_Genres.

The safest way would be to use MM5 on Windows and rewrite both ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.x tags in files with corrected genre (use list above) and resync.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bege

Post by bege »

Sorry, I am out of town and may be able to answer not before Christmas.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Take your time., enjoy festivities and holidays. We are not going anywhere.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bege

Post by bege »

I checked some respective files on the phone, they are mp3 files. (I also have m4a files.)

I sync phone and computer incl. music files with Syncthing via Wifi hotspot or router.

All genres are correct in all programs (incl. MM4 and MM5) on Windows 10.

MMA shows for one album 9 titles with "New Age" and one title with "(10)". I found another Android app that shows the genres as MMA does, it is the file explorer "X-plore". In Windows there is no difference between these files, all are displayed with "New Age".

So if I continue using Musicolet on the phone there is no problem. Should I just drop using MMA? :wink:

Or can you suggest what I can do without the danger to corrupt the files that are displayed correct in all other programs I use?
I think all files contain v3.2 tags, I don't know whether v3.1, too. (How can I find that out?) Might help to remove v3.1 tags? (If so, how can I do that?) Should I use ID3v2.3 or v2.4?
Or just wait for MMA 2?