Audio stops after moving to new track [#18630]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

D. Lorentzen

Audio stops after moving to new track [#18630]

Post by D. Lorentzen »

I am using a Pixel 6 with Android 12.

When the app finishes playing a track, it moves to the next track (as expected) but the audio quits. The play progress bar continues to move as if it's playing.

If I click on the progress bar, then the audio plays and continues playing until the next track, when it quits audio again. And again, if I click on the progress bar it starts again.
Lowlander

Re: Audio stops after moving to new track

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMA (About) and are you playing on internal speakers or otherwise? Also does a device restart resolve the problem?
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

I'm seeing this as well.

Setup:
MMA v1.4.3.0950
Android 12 (SD1A.210817.036.A8)
Pixel 6 Pro
I was using the same phone (and the same playlist¹) on Saturday without issue, playing for multiple albums without anything disappearing.

As of today, I can't play more than one track and keep audio going. Switched to album-based play instead of playlist-based, same thing.

I noticed this while casting to a Bluetooth speaker. I tried:
  • Force stopping the app then reopening it
  • Reconnecting to the speaker over Bluetooth
  • Rebooting the phone
  • Playing through internal speakers instead of Bluetooth
  • Connecting to Bluetooth partway through internal speaker play
None saw relief from the issue: after a single track played, audio would disappear and the app would indicate it was still playing despite this, as described above.

Curiously, neither the app nor Android appears to have been updated between the time it was playing fine and today (there was an Android security update on 11/5, but my "playing works fine" was on 11/6. I don't think I got that update late?). Some "external" interference from another app, perhaps?

¹It's an autoplaylist on MMW, and I've synced it since that time, if that happens to matter for some reason.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does playing on the internal speaker also exhibit this issue?
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

Yep, internal speakers also do this
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then please send a debug log from About right after you experience this and reply with the logID here.
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

logs sent. ID: 5WWR3R1RZH
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

Oh, and a secondary note: through Android Auto, it actually played through tracks without this issue, as I happened to test that between posts.
FangsFirst

No audio after first track plays

Post by FangsFirst »

To be clear, I ran across a bug report for this one and submitted log IDs from my experience already, but since it's rendering the app effectively unusable for me (internal speakers and bluetooth both do this, Android Auto doesn't, amusingly enough, but I'm not driving all the time!) I thought I'd see if anyone else happens to have run into this and found any workarounds in the process.

Essentially, a single track will play fine, then the audio drops out, though the app continues to move between tracks and show "play progress" for each of them, despite the absence of audio. Audio comes back if I "prev track" to restart play as each one "fails", but I have to do it after every single track that plays successfully, which is…less than ideal, of course.

Given the bug details, wondering at least a touch if this may just relate to some (Pixel 6) or the other (MM)… A few other threads describe somewhat similar scenarios with other phones, but not definitively enough that I'm sure they're the same behaviour (eg maybe they're bluetooth only), hence the general inquiry here
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

Since I hadn't seen any movement here, I decided to do a little experimenting since I'm traveling and this is pretty frustrating.

Turns out this seems to relate to gapless transitions in particular. I turned on "Crossfade" transitions and play seemed to steady out.

I turned back to gapless, and following tracks went back to inaudible.

I turned to "None" and tracks continued to play.

If anyone else experiences this, that might be worth giving a shot...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It works fine for me when set to gapless. What File Types is it failing for?
FangsFirst

Post by FangsFirst »

All MP3; VBR as well as flat rate 320. Synced from MMW
battema

Post by battema »

Hello, first time poster. Just bought MMA Gold a week or so ago. Noticed yesterday I am having the same issue as posters above:

MMA version is 1.4.3.0950
Android 12 is DS1A.210817.037.A1
Google Pixel 6
I am using a new pair of Bose Quietcomfort earplugs, but the issue manifests with the internal speaker as well.

I also am a heavy user of the Bandcamp app; the issue does not happen with Bandcamp or any other app. Only MMA.

Definitely renders the app more or less useless until fixed.
battema

Post by battema »

^^ Minor addition to post above; while this issue definitely impacts the internal speakers and Bluetooth audio, I AM able to use Chromecast with MMA without the issue appearing.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please send a debug log from About right after you experience this and reply with the logID here.