[REQ] Auto-Playlist in MMA [#10817]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

toyzrme

Re: [REQ] Auto-Playlist in MMA [#10817]- HOW and WHY

Post by toyzrme »

I'm an Avid user of Auto/Smart Playlists with Player Pro on Android. And there's a lot of users of this feature with PPro, based on the large number of forum postings, questions, and feature requests over there.

WHY?
Dynamic lists make sense for data that changes on the phone: ie Rating, Last Played, and Skip count, mostly (although I'd love to clean/update genres, artists, etc. and sync those back into my MMW library).

HOW?
Functionally, I think an Auto Playlist just "does its thing" whenever you select it, not constantly. So, you turn on your device, select Auto-Playlist "Awesome Mix #3"/Play, and at that time it builds a local playlist based on that set of criteria (from local tracks), and caches it. As long as you're playing that playlist, it doesn't change the selection. If you want to re-build it, just go back to your list of Playlists, and select it again. Sure, you could have it do this every time you turn on your phone, based on time, # of tracks played, or whenever you sync, but I've never found myself needing that in PPro.

USAGE PATTERNS
My usage patterns for Smart Playlists on PPro:
Given the 32GB + 64GB microSD card on my phone, I can load roughly 20,000 tracks onto my phone. Generally, I like listening to a "mix" of the genre I've picked, and want to keep it "fresh", so I want a reasonably large set of songs, randomized so I don't hear the same artist back-to-back. My ULTIMATE goal is to have ALL my music (rating > 3) on my phone, and decide what I want to listen to ON MY PHONE. Sure, once in a while, I want to listen to a particular album or artist or track, but more generally, I just want my own commercial-free radio station :-)

I also travel a lot, so I *can't* re-sync a new playlist from MMW on a whim.

#1 RATE SONGS
I use a MMW smart playlist (genre + rating=unknown) to sync to the device (say, 1000 songs). Then in PPro, I have a similar auto-playlist, and randomize the songs. I rate the songs as I listen on my daily commute (good thing I'm not texting, huh? :-) ).
BUT, after a while (say 250), I keep hitting rated songs, and I'm trying to get through my whole library, so I want to only hear unrated songs. So, in PPro, I just select re-select the smart playlist, and it generates a logically "new" playlist of only those songs still unrated (now=750), and I'm good for a little while longer. Wash, rinse, repeat....and re-sync :-)

#2 CHOOSE SUBSETS ON-THE-FLY
Sometimes, spur-of-the-moment, I want "all the hard rock songs from the 80's", or "all Rock, Pop....from 1976" (kinda fun to recall what was going on in a given year). And so on. Sure, I could create these in MMW and sync them, but with only a few tags (year, genre, BPM, last played, etc.) this leads to a ridiculously large number of permutations - now I have to choose among 1,000 pre-defined playlists - that's no better than selecting each song individually. So I'll create a new playlist right then, on my phone - now go do it! And I DON'T want it sync'd back to my MMW and polluting my list of playlists there (or at least give me a yes/no option).

#3 STABLE, BUT CHANGING, a.k.a. "The Same but Different", or "The Intersection of Orthogonal Playlists"
I have some general types I want to listen to, "Rock", "80's Rock", "70's & 80's Rock", etc - ie, somewhat overlapping. But I can't load ALL of my 80's rock at one time. So, I might have auto-playlists in MMW for all 80's rock, 70's rock, etc.
I could probably do this in MMW, and just sync those playlists (does MM de-dupe across all playlists in a sync set?), but it seems like there are 2 different intentions, somewhat perpendicular to each other: on Windows, it's "What do I want to load on my phone", vs. on the device, it's "What do I want to listen to now?". So maybe I LOAD all artists whose name begins with A-G, but I want to LISTEN to "Rock 1971-1983".

Granted, some of this is driven by the effort to re-sync to my MMW computer - if it only took 5 minutes to transfer 5,000 songs and ratings back & forth, and I always had my full library with me, it might not be as important. (can I please sync remotely across the internet to my home machine from my phone? :-D )

If I had to choose only 1 of the above, it would be the "only unrated" playlist.

In any case, it's an amazing product already - keep up the great work!
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.

Re: [REQ] Auto-Playlist in MMA [#10817]

Post by Guest »

This is by far my most-desired feature. Even something as simple as filtering an existing playlist by nothing more than song rating.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,

I love MM but smart playlist on MMA is a big missing feature for me.

Waiting this feature in a future MMA version, i would like to try another android music player app that support it.

So, i think player pro support smartplaylist and i think i will try it, but would like to know if there are others android music player with this feature ?

Thanks
Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

nonob wrote:Hi,

Waiting this feature in a future MMA version, i would like to try another android music player app that support it.

So, i think player pro support smartplaylist and i think i will try it, but would like to know if there are others android music player with this feature ?

Thanks

MyTunes.
nonob

Post by nonob »

I tried player pro but i can't create a smart playlist with the "comment" field.

I tried mytunes, i can create smart playlist with "comment" field and i can use this playlist from others players :)

Do you know if it add new songs that match smart playlist rules automaticly in background or should i run it manually and rebuild playlist each time ?

Do you know another app with this feeature ?

MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

nonob wrote:
I tried mytunes, i can create smart playlist with "comment" field and i can use this playlist from others players :)

Do you know if it add new songs that match smart playlist rules automaticly in background or should i run it manually and rebuild playlist each time ?
I think you have to tell MyTunes to rebuild the smartlist each time.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Thanks.
Cu :)
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi :)

So i use mytunes to create smart playlist and mma as my default music player.

I had some difficulty to retreive my playlists created from mytunes, in mma.

I did some actions and i don't know which on or in which order i resolve this issue:
-Update mytunes song index.
-Reset mytunes song index.
-Empty media store from mytunes.
-Rebuild playlists from mytunes.
-Reboot my smartphone to force a android library refresh.
-Uninstall/reinstall mma.
-Play at least one time each playlists from mytunes.
-Add the "playlists" folder from internal memory to watched folder's from mma.

After these actions, i had my smartplaylists displayed in mma and it worked well.

But since yesterday (i don't know which action i did) , my mma playlists are "empty".

I tried some of the actions i listed up but i can't retreive my playlists :(

I see my playlists in mytunes and in android stock player and i have my playlists files in sdcard0/playlists.pla .
In this folder i also have a "hidden" folder with a ".nomedia" file.

Do you know a working way to refresh my playlist ?

thanks
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hello,

I did a lot of tests and i start to make working android library/mytune/MMA both to use smart playlist in MMA, but i'm facing to an issue :

For instance:
-I create a smartplaylist with mytune named "test".
-Android stock music player and MMA doesn't found my playlist.
-I load this playlist in mytune just one time.
-Now android stock player see my playlist but MMA doesn't :(
-I have to force MMA to stop, delete mma data,delete mediamonkey folders in both internal and external memory then start a new scan to make playlist found by MMA.

-Now i rename my test playlist as "test2".
-I load it in mytune.
-Android stock player display now "test2".
-MMA display the old name "test" :(
-I "check" for new media in MMA: same issue.

I precise i have only one folder in external memory checked in watched folders in mma settings.

I think i have to stop MMA, delete all data and folders and start a new scan to help it to display the good new name.

How mma refresh playlists ?
nonob

Post by nonob »

This is the simplest method i found to refresh my playlist:
-Uninstall MMA.
-Use "Clean master" to delete leftovers.
-Reinstall MMA.
bjoerns

Post by bjoerns »

nonob wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Also for me, smart playlists would be a great enhancement to MMA, especially for combinations like "Added to library in the last 3 months, genre is electronic and rating of track is at least 3*".
greenblack3000

Request: Create Auto Playlist on MMA

Post by greenblack3000 »

Hi,
I would like to make a request to have the ability to create auto playlists on MMA. I previously used PlayerPro and this feature was my favorite and very convenient. If that is something further down the road, I would at least like to see MMA keep my auto playlists up to date. Now I have to Sync each time in order to update my playlists. This is not a big deal; I know there are other bugs that need to be fixed, just a suggestion and hope to see it at some point. Thanks.
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
heronheart

Post by heronheart »

Now that we're in a new cycle of beta-testing MMA I just wanted to bump this request. Even a few built in smart playlists would make MMA much more usable. I would vote for the following:

Recently Added
Recently Played
MaximusPrime

Auto Playlists like most played

Post by MaximusPrime »

Is there a way (or plans) to have Auto playlists like most played Songs, last added Songs etc. in mma?
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes it is planned.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts