[REQ] Variable Play Speed

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

manalive

[REQ] Variable Play Speed

Post by manalive »

Those of us that listen to lots of podcasts and/or audiobooks would love to be able to play audio at faster speeds.

Other apps that do this usually put it in 25% increments: 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x.
Tankooni

Re: [REQ] Variable Play Speed

Post by Tankooni »

I too quite desire this feature. I generally listen to most audiobooks/podcasts at 2x minimum
Peke

Post by Peke »

You can enable DSP plugin and to change Pitch of playing track.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
manalive

Post by manalive »

Peke wrote:You can enable DSP plugin and to change Pitch of playing track.
In Android? I know there are plugins for MediaMonkey Windows, but how does that work on Android?

Thanks in advance.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ok, now I'm ashamed. I overlooked you asked for android.

they are not working on android.

Do you know any app that do that for audio books?
Best regards,
Peke
manalive

Post by manalive »

haha no problem.

Here is a list of Android Apps that claim to have this feature (I can confirm that Audible does have this, it is the only one I have used personally):
  • Audible
  • VLC for Android
  • Pocket Casts
  • DoggCatcher Podcast Player
  • AntennaPod
  • Material Audiobook Player
  • ACast
  • BeyondPod
  • MAVEN Music Player
  • Podcast & Radio Addict
  • StarPlayer for audio book
  • Podcast Republic
  • Astro Player
  • Picus Book Player
  • Rockbox
  • Osplay
  • Maple Player
  • Smart AudioBook Player
  • Listen Audiobook Player
  • Audipo:Audio Speed Changer
  • Audio Speed Changer
  • StarGMP GMP
  • Speed controllable Podcast
Additionally, I found this library that a lot of programs have used to deliver this functionality:

Stable Speed Library
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tablespeed

I really like Media Monkey and I think this feature is low hanging fruit that will go far with users. For myself, I easily have over 10 years (no, really) of audiobooks and podcasts lined up and variable speed playback literally allows me to get years of my life back.
manalive

Post by manalive »

OH! One more thing...

Almost all of these apps change the speed without changing the pitch.
NorthDFW

Post by NorthDFW »

December 23, 2016
Over three years later and no movement on this front. I downloaded and tested 10-12 if the leading music apps and all but one of them provided variable speed playback and all but one of them also provided pitch adjustments so you could listen to any music/podcast/audio book at any speed without changing the pitch--which means no chipmunk playback.
At this point in time, any audio app which does not provide variable speed, pitch adjusted playback is providing a substandard product. There is a lot to like about Media Monkey. In fact, it would be my playback app of choice if it would update itself to the new reality that a lot of us listen to more podcasts and audio books than music.

Please update Media Monkey to the realities of the 21st Century.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Advanced playback functionality is planned for later MMA versions. Pitch/Tempo control is not one of essential ones but rather nice to have features.
Best regards,
Peke

Post by Guest »

There are a bunch of folks who use Media Monkey to play music for dance classes. The variable speed function is a necessity, not a "nice to have." The sooner available for android use, the better.
SolUrsine

Post by SolUrsine »

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree that variable play speed "is not one of essential ones but rather nice to have features".

At a minimum, this would be useful for those who want to listen to books or podcasts at increased speed.

I was hoping to leave the iUniverse, but as this is not planned to be placed in the system any time soon I will be stuck. Also that tells me that my purchase of MediaMonkey Pro for my android is wasted money. So glad that I have not yet purchased the full license for the Windows desktop version.
manalive

Post by manalive »

Please review this feature request again.

Not only is variable playback speed (with stable pitch) already standard with almost all audiobook and podcast players, many of them now have silence removal as well. That means that they analyze the file for gaps and shorten them during playback.

I use mediamonkey heavily but the only reason I haven't switched to a new app is that most podcast apps don't allow you to play your own library. Since there are already libraries out there that will do this, it shouldn't be a huge project to implement.

This is a pain point for your users. Thank you for your continued efforts to improve the product.
simpleuser

Post by simpleuser »

I totally agree this variable play speed should be essential to all such programs because listening to audiobooks and podcast is increasing exponentially. I would like to use it both on my phone and also in windows, but here it is not possible. :(
Please fix this simple task and you would get much more users no questions asked on the next day you change it!
manalive

Post by manalive »

So this has been a standard feature in most competing apps for several years now.

Any update?
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

I, too, have been waiting around for years on this one. Anything to report?