Volume lowers while notification despite "Supress notification sounds" is checked [#15261]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Volume lowers while notification despite "Supress notification sounds" is checked [#15261]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Are you using native TEXT (SMS) application or third party one?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sideshoweric

Re: Volume lowers while notification despite "Supress notification sounds" is checked [#15261]

Post by sideshoweric »

This is *still* a problem with native text, Facebook Messenger, gmail, and all other alerts from any apps that have a notification that makes noise.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If some app is allowed to change system settings then there is almost no way to override it. I almost got a ticket today as even I have my HU paired with phone, muted sound, A Viber was overridden it and in order to mute it I needed to pick the phone and press power button to mute it. Police pulled me off with excuse that I was talking on phone while driving which was not true, but when they saw me calling from HU they left me alone and not wrote me a ticket.

on Oreo and above You can Long Tap on notification from any app and you can set permissions to make it sure what app can do when notify so I set most of them to Visual Only.
Best regards,
Peke
sideshoweric

Post by sideshoweric »

What kind of response is that?

Poweramp does this. Why is it so hard?

I'm not going to modify the notifications from half a dozen different apps that notify me and then turn them back on again every time I want to drive and not be interrupted.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It was simple an honest answer, that I know it is annoying almost costly in my case.

Just tested Poweramp and it doesn't suppress it disables notification sounds on my Moto X4 (pie) completely. I really do not think that is the right solution. I have some priority notifications that I want to receive even in DND mode or driving.

I was not suggesting that you should disable notifications, I have found that for some apps are simply stubborn and do not follow system settings so modify/force notification settings is only choice.

We are investigating other options also.

Main problem is that on Oreo and above each application can/must register Notification Channel and that complicates things a lot.
Best regards,
Peke
sideshoweric

Post by sideshoweric »

Ok, so that's the thing. While I'm listening to music, I want all notifications disabled other than calls, then when music isn't playing it doesn't disable them anymore.
Poweramp does do this. So it's possible.
It's great that you don't want that, but it's something I'm used to and have grown to find very important.

I'm sorry if I am coming off very impatient and probably like a bit of a jerk, but I've been so frustrated since Poweramp ruined their app in December and haven't been able to find anything that works like their last version in terms of the things I really need:
- genre delimiting (which most don't do, not even VLC, but MMA does)
- notification disabling/muting (which only Poweramp seems to do properly)
- being able to easily play a single or multiple genres/artists/albums/playlists (which MMA does very well, and Poweramp doesn't do anymore)
- being able to easily manipulate created playlists to reorder songs in alphanumeric order by different tags, check for dupes, or to keep the app from adding dupes in the first place (which Poweramp did, and MMA doesn't do, but I'm aware the MM desktop program does - but I curate more on my phone, my PC is just a warehouse)

I even had the guys at GoneMAD just flat out tell me that the notification thing is LG's problem and they weren't really interested in looking into it anymore.

And personally, even though my Stylo 4 is only 8 or so months old, I'm considering dropping a lot of money on a Galaxy s8 or s9 just to see if that helps fix the problem.

So I'm glad this conversation is ongoing.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I am glad too, especially as today I was called by my kids teacher regarding PINGING phone during class. I checked it was in PRIVACY MODE, all sounds and incoming calls were blocked (No calls are allowed during classes), and only two people that could override that are me and my wife. But stupid VIBER RINGED and PINGED NOTIFICATIONS anyway when her sick friend wanted to ask her to write her homework.

So this is starting to be personal. Few improvements are already preparing.

Can you please tell me where in the PowerAmp is that Option?
Best regards,
Peke
sideshoweric

Post by sideshoweric »

Peke wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 pm Can you please tell me where in the PowerAmp is that Option?
In Poweramp, under settings (in the hamburger menu at the bottom right on the latest version), go to "Audio" then "Audio focus".

To be fair, I can only speak to the last big version change previous to December '18, it could have broken with the new version, but the options look similar. There are many settings to make sure audio focus stays where you want or changes when you want.

Thanks for the continued follow up and understanding Peke.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
THX for info found it.

I spent 2h testing PowerAmp https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... udioplayer and like MMA there is no way to suppress notification from Viber https://www.viber.com/download/. I guess that My moto X4 (Pie) is not compatible or my settings are different than yours :(
Best regards,
Peke
sideshoweric

Post by sideshoweric »

That's unfortunate.

In the old version, I know for sure email, text, messenger, etc would not interrupt the music or lower the volume at all. It could be that they changed this with the recent update, which broke a lot of things in the app and a lot of people are upset about.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep using MMA. Though the volume dip for notifications is still jarring.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I know Read Martin note https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 261#c52090 about issue.
Best regards,
Peke
sideshoweric

Post by sideshoweric »

Thanks!

On the plus side, I ordered a new unlocked Galaxy S8 directly from Samsung a couple days ago, and I've got it up and running today, and the suppress notifications works as intended.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Just wanted to update that, as of a couple of weeks ago, this is no longer an issue. Whenever MMA is playing something, I get no interruptions to my music. It's very nice. Thanks for fixing.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you both for confirmation.
Best regards,
Peke