[bug] Playlists don't update with the last changes when synced

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Onweerwolf

Re: [bug] Playlists don't update with the last changes when synced

Post by Onweerwolf »

Peke wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm Hi,
Have you tried to initiate Second WiFi sync to se if F is added?
F only gets added if the playlist is altered in some way after F is downloaded to the device. If no changes are made F never gets added no matter how often I sync.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

This problem is still around.

Two relevant things that I noticed:

1. I still sync once a week. Two weeks ago the problem didn't happen. Everything was synced the way it should. This happened as well a couple of months ago. I can't pinpoint anything that I've done differently in those two instances that things did work.

2. When I look at a playlist immediately after sync finished on MMA I can see the new tracks in the playlist for a second sometimes and then they just disappear. Which makes me believe the problem happens at the very end of the sync process during the 'cleanup' stage or something like that.
seveshanks

Post by seveshanks »

Bumping this. Same issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We are updating sync processes and this should be tested in next MMA/MMW/MM5 releases in order to tweak things bit more.

What I have found out is that Using WiFi Sync after USB sync and User manually delete all content of Playlist folder (using file manager not MMA) fixes the Playlists on device by re-syncing them within a minute or less.

NOTE: Things that we have found out is that on some devices something changes timestamp of playlists, making them invisible to MMW/MM5 on Update as they are flagged (Device changed Playlists, do not sync to avoid corruption) for security reasons.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Peke wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pmNOTE: Things that we have found out is that on some devices something changes timestamp of playlists, making them invisible to MMW/MM5 on Update as they are flagged (Device changed Playlists, do not sync to avoid corruption) for security reasons.
Can you be more specific? Which devices?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There was some reports on few OnePlus Devices (found out that there was some system preinstalled cleaner) and some Android 11 devices. Unfortunately as none of us in team could not replicate (guess lack of experiencing device) we could not track which devices and apps do that.

Any pointers to right directions would be more than welcome. Try to Screenshot Playlist folder content properties before and after MMA sync and then after playlist are gone.
Best regards,
Peke
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

I have observed probably the same/similar thing that is described here: My smartphone randomly seems to change playlists and MMW doesn't recognize this change. If I allow the syncing back from the phone to MMW I get the corrupted playlists also in MMW, confirming that the timestamp of the changed playlists on the phone is newer than in MMW. Deleting the playlists on the phone does help. Unfortunately I couldn't find a pattern when and why this happens and so it is very difficult to replicate.

I don't use any other music software than MMA on my smartphone but recently I noticed that the Amazon Music app is installed. I haven't used it for a very long time but it has write permission and in theory it could do something...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Duos with Android 10 and my music is on the internal memory. I only do Wifi sync. MMA version is 1.4.2.0938, MMW is 4.1.30.1914 portable.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Lets try this approach, by pursuing fact that you only use MMA and WiFi Sync.

Here is what you will do:
1. go to MMA Options and disable Update playlists from other apps
2. Delete playlists in playlist folders
3. Sync with MMW to get playlists back
4. See if playlists change again and when (eg. after MMA close, restart phone, left overnight, ...)

Sorry for bothering you, but somehow we need to narrow things down and check/exclude any potential apps/time frame/patterns/... in order to get to bottom of it.

I really wish it is found that it is MMA fault, because then as devs we can work on fix more quickly, but if it is outside influence then workaround/hack can take bit longer to make it working.
Best regards,
Peke
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

No problem for me, glad if I can help!

I did as you suggested (Update Playlists from other apps had been on before and is now off).

As soon as I see any playlist change again (or a playlist that doesn't update on syncing) I will report it here. But maybe changing the "update playlists from other apps" option already did the job...
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Peke wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:20 pm Any pointers to right directions would be more than welcome. Try to Screenshot Playlist folder content properties before and after MMA sync and then after playlist are gone.
So,what I noticed today is that a playlist, to which I added tracks but did not remove any from, simply wasn't changed. The timestamp in the folder playlist is from last week, same as it was before I synced.

Not sure what else you could mean by 'content properties' in the playlist folder.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Somewhow in the past few weeks this problem seemed to have disappeared. Did something change in MMA that fixed this?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Onweerwolf wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am Somewhow in the past few weeks this problem seemed to have disappeared. Did something change in MMA that fixed this?
Yes, Unless specifically set MMA prefer Synced playlist over Device changed playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Peke wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:30 am
Onweerwolf wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 am Somewhow in the past few weeks this problem seemed to have disappeared. Did something change in MMA that fixed this?
Yes, Unless specifically set MMA prefer Synced playlist over Device changed playlists.
Okay.

Can you explain that some more in-depth to me?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Here is Options Image where it is set that MM synced playlist are preferred eg. ⋮ -> Options
Best regards,
Peke
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I just don't understand the changes that were made.