Lost the ability for background play

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Balance Keeper

Lost the ability for background play

Post by Balance Keeper »

What happened to the ability for MediaMonkey to play music in the background while I work on other apps or when the screen turns off? It just disappeared yesterday. There's not an option in the settings to turn it off or on either.
Lowlander

Re: Lost the ability for background play

Post by Lowlander »

There is no option for this. What happens when you don't have MMA active and which exact version are you on (see About).
Balance Keeper

Post by Balance Keeper »

MediaMonkey Pro
ver 1.3.9.0924

I start playback and about a minute after I go to another app or after the screen turns off then the music stops. I go back to MMA and it's in pause mode and when I restart it it skips back to a point prior to where it quit playing and resumes playback from there.

It's never done this before yesterday but now it does it every time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you done a device restart? Also check the Play Store as build 933 might already be available to update to.

It probably is the device battery management that's killing MediaMonkey though. What device are you on, is it Huawei?
Balance Keeper

Post by Balance Keeper »

Yay! The forum is finally back up.

Yes, I did a restart... to no avail.

No update available yet.

I know it's the battery management, but in all my tinkering and research I haven't found the magic bullet yet and was hoping someone could help.

And no, its not a Huawei. Its a Samsung Active.
Balance Keeper

Post by Balance Keeper »

I finally found the solution. It was an app-specific battery management setting buried deep in the app settings options.

Settings -> Apps -> ( verify set to "All") -> MediaMonkey -> Battery -> Optimize Battery Usage -> (set to "All") -> Toggle MediaMonkey switch to off

Had to makes sure to set dropdowns to "All" instead of "Enabled" or "Not Optimized" for it to show all apps.

Somewhere along the line a device power optimization had set the MediaMonkey app to optimize battery usage and I had to manually turn it back off. I've never had an app or a power optimization routine do that to me before so it took a while for me to find what I needed.

Thanks for your help!
lccseh

Post by lccseh »

THANK YOU. I was having to consider finding another media player coz this issue made MM unusable. Amazing that you were able to find that obscure setting and describe the steps perfectly.
samsung s22
android 13, one ui 5.0
mmw 5.0.4.2690 (gold lifetime)
mma 2.0.0.1066 (pro)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In newer Android OS Long tap on App icon will let you get to App information where you can edit settings (under Advanced in many cases).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts