Set main music directory / sync ratings [Android 4.4.2]

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Kadano

Set main music directory / sync ratings [Android 4.4.2]

Post by Kadano »

After lots of attempts to make everything work as intended between MMW and MMA, I finally got my music collection to sync to my Samsung SM-G800F's SD card (/Android/com.ventismedia.mediamonkey folder). However, from there it was not possible to use the music as ringtone, neither from Android ringtone chooser nor from MediaMonkey Ringtone Maker.

So I rooted my phone and installed the SD card fix. After a couple of restarts, I was able to select music as ringtone from an Android ringtone chooser, but not from the MediaMonkey Ringtone Maker. So I thought, maybe it would work if I "migrated" my music collection to the folder Android probably expects it (/Music/ on SD card). I managed to get MMW to sync to there over USB (I always used USB for syncing before), and after deleting the device profile for the card in MMW and reinstalling MMA, it did that.

However, now all the ratings are not synced any longer. It seems to me that ratings only sync when using the /Android/com.ventismedia.mediamonkey/ folder as main directory. It's more important to have full tags with ratings than to set ringtone for contacts quickly to me (the latter still doesn't work anyway, it always crashes).

Is there some way to change the main directory back again from /Music/ to /Android/com.ventismedia.mediamonkey/ again? Or maybe even get full ratings synced with /Music/ folder?

Also, when I reset MMA and deleted all settings (or so I thought), after re-syncing the music library, it still had the old files (that had been deleted) in the database. Where is the MMA database located?
Kadano

Re: Set main music directory / sync ratings [Android 4.4.2]

Post by Kadano »

After some more tests, I have additional information.

I sync all music to my Android phone over USB that has a rating of two stars or higher. I only have five tracks rated five stars and three tracks rated 4.5 stars. So what I did now was first sync only the 5 star tracks. After doing that, MMA had the proper 5 star rating for these five tracks. Then I repeated the process to include the three 4.5 star tracks. This time it didn't sync any of the ratings for the new files (5 star ratings were kept). After pressing "auto sync" in MMW once more, it synced the ratings for the three tracks successfully.

However, with the 4 star tracks (105 tracks), only one of them had its rating synced. Even after pressing "auto sync" five additional times with time in-between, no additional tracks got their rating.

So I guess this is a bug?

Rating is very important to me because I use it to decide which files to keep on my Android device and which not. It would be really nice if you could fix this seemingly broken feature.

Edit: What I just found was that when MMW is finished syncing the tracks, opening the Music list of the device in MMW still shows proper rating. As soon as MMA is about halfway in the import process with the sync wheel animation, the device music list in MMW has its play count and ratings removed.
So I guess there is some error in the import ratings and play count process in MMA?
Kadano

Post by Kadano »

Okay, after about 14 hours I spent on this, I at least managed to get all tracks to sync rating, album art and play count properly again. I had to reset my phone (fiddled with platforms.xml too much), reinstall all apps and MediaMonkey Beta (!). The main MediaMonkey app refused to sync properly, even after the phone reset and MMW device profile reset.

For MMA Beta, I first had MMW recognize it with the /Android/ventis… folder and then did the NextApp SDFix. After that, and about four more attempts to sync to it, it took about 10 minutes after completing the sync and finally it recognized the tracks I sent through it.

So, please, before you make it impossible to use MMA Beta any longer (which seems to happen in 30 days as things stand now?), confirm that syncing works properly on MMA main again. MediaMonkey is so great when it works fine, and I can't find any way to make MMA (Non-Beta) do that.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Hi, could you please go here:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ediamonkey
and request BETA testing account? You will be able to download latest beta version.

If the issues occurs, please send log from About dialog->send logs. Please do this right after unsuccessful sync. After that please write here Log ID and titles of some tracks that were incorrectly synced.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Kadano,

fyi, I tested a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 running Android 4.4.2 vs MMA 1.1.3.594 / MMW 4.1.12.1784 (from the beta forum) and do not have any problems syncing to \Android\data\com.VentisMedia.... (I didn't test synchronization on that device to the SD card because I prefer to keep test devices on stock roms). If you still experience a problem with the MMA beta build (the new one--as described by bhiefer in the previous post), then please provide the log as he requested so that we can fix whatever is occurring in your environment.

Thanks for your help and patience.

-Rusty
Kadano

Post by Kadano »

Thank you!
I am currently abroad so I can't resync, but I'll try that method when I get home and report back.