List albums by chronological order

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

DanKenny

List albums by chronological order

Post by DanKenny »

Is there a way to list the albums of an artist in chronological order and NOT alphabetical order?
dtsig

Re: List albums by chronological order

Post by dtsig »

I don't believe that currently there is a way to do that. I think that is something that will be worked on in the future release
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not possible in MMA Yet, it is planned for MMA 2.0
For MMW, if Year is correctly set than multi Sorting (Hold CTRL while Clicking on Column Titles) Artist -> Year -> Album -> Disk# -> Track # should sort it correctly.

I already have Auto Playlists set as: Criteria -> Accessible, Sort -> Artist -> Year -> Album -> Disk# -> Track #

So if you change criteria and add specific Artist you can sync such playlist and get chronological order.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I just installed MMA Pro and MMW Gold. I would like to sort albums in MMA by date. I am switching from an iPod where this was simple. On MMA, I am using a Samsung Galaxy A51. I copied all my music to a 256 GB Micro SD Card by hand. In MMW [beta 5], I am trying to figure out how to configure this sync to that SD Card folder? At the moment, under Devices and Services, the phone appears with "Internal Storage" next to the name. I need to change this to the "Music" folder in the SD Card?

I just registered to be a MMA beta tester. Is there a beta release that allows sorting albums by date?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
First are you syncing using USB or WiFi? If USB you should have listed both SDcard and Internal storage (Click on Show all if needed). If WiFi Under ⋮ -> Options -> Sync Settings you should see both storage listed if not then your SDcard is not recognized or it is mapped as Internal storage (very rare case and you should separate them under device storage options), then you select SDCard and sync.

No there is no way to sort Albums by date.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Peke wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:51 pm Hi,
First are you syncing using USB or WiFi? If USB you should have listed both SDcard and Internal storage (Click on Show all if needed). If WiFi Under ⋮ -> Options -> Sync Settings you should see both storage listed if not then your SDcard is not recognized or it is mapped as Internal storage (very rare case and you should separate them under device storage options), then you select SDCard and sync.

No there is no way to sort Albums by date.
I was syncing via WiFi. I just connected my phone via USB.Now, Galaxy A51 - Card is visible. Under the Sync Profile, it appears as if "Artist" would be part of the track name? I just want tracks to be "01. Track Name.mp3" [for example].
On MMA, I copied all my music from PC to Android using Windows Explorer to start. I noticed that a number of albums/tracks are under "Unknown Artist"? In MMW, this is not the case? Would a sync from PC to phone clear this up? Or, what else can I do to fix this?
TheEmpathicEar

Unknown Artist in MMA

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I had to figure out how to examine the tags in an MP3 on MMA. I checked one album/track that was under "Unknown Artist". Bob Seger's Greatest Hits, Track 7. It was missing tags that the other tracks on the album had. In MMW, I checked that these tags were there. I also used Windows Explorer to confirm this.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

dtsig wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am I don't believe that currently there is a way to do that. I think that is something that will be worked on in the future release
I remember with my iPod and Foobar with iPod Manager there was a way to add this "['['%date%']'] %album%" as a database feature. The effect was that all albums displayed in the iPod under Albums were sorted by date. Of course, now you can't sort by album names. Is it possible to do this in MMW?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Filenames are not relevant unless you browsing using Folders in MMA. Otherwise it works purely on the tags. However having unknown indicates the tags may not be in order. This is something you should fix on the files in MMW before sync (just is easier). Verify that Album and Album Artist tags have the same value for all files on the Album. Also make sure Disc# (can be empty) and Track# have the correct values.

As far as how files are synced, this is set in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync). You can change the Mask used for saving files on the device (ie. <Track#>. <Title> for the Filename part).

You can't modify tags (or how it's saved in database) on sync. Sorting options in MMA are set to come with MMA 2.0.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

[Using the same example above] Browsing folders, this album, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_ ... ger_album), has this Track 7. I am new to this, but each track in folder view is 1001, 1002, etc. But, track 7 appears here as 0. 07. I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Because I copied all my music from PC to SD Card, I assumed that all tags would end up the same. But, I have yet to do my first sync. As far as Disc#, I prefer use to use 2 separate folders on my hard drive for an albums that spans more than one disc. In any case, I hope my first sync will clear some of this up.
EDIT: As an aside, I am not getting email notifications when a new post arrives here.
TheEmpathicEar

Re: 1st Sync from PC to MMA

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

On MMW, I made the changes. Connected via USB, with Galaxy 51 - Card displayed, I clicked on Sync Now. On bottom of screen, there was something about metadata, some .zip, and not much to indicate any progress and it was in a very tiny font. On top right of screen, there was a icon, a circle, that I guess is supposed to mark progress. This all stopped. The only indication of anything going on is on MMA with the circle at top right. What else do I have to do? And, is there a way to get some kind of sync progress in MMW that's obvious?
I tried to click on Sync Now in MMA, but it tries to access WiFi and use internal storage?
TheEmpathicEar

1st sync from PC to Phone Disaster

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Whatever I did it appeared as if MMW was doing a reverse sync from phone to PC. Then MMW crashed and sent the log file. I check the date/timestamps of the music on my PC and it seems as if nothing was done.
I really need to foolproof instructions to do a simple sync from PC to phone - just one music folder on the PC to a folder on the Phone.
EDIT: Is it possible for a MOD to start a thread for me in MM for Windows?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... oid_device

From MMA you can only do a wif sync and from MMW only a USB sync. MMW shows sync progress in the statusbar around the Player. If wifi sync is syncing the wrong location you need to set it up in the MMA options to sync to the correct location.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:12 pm https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... oid_device

From MMA you can only do a wif sync and from MMW only a USB sync. MMW shows sync progress in the statusbar around the Player. If wifi sync is syncing the wrong location you need to set it up in the MMA options to sync to the correct location.
[Should I be using MMW beta? I don't know if this really the issue here]
I installed MMA Pro first that's why I am in this thread. If there are settings in MMA for WiFi, I need to disable them.
1. What am accustomed to is what some call at "One Way Sync" or mirroring the music on your PC to [in my case] phone. [In the past, I used Foobar with iPod Manager to sync to an iPod]
2. This has always been a USB connection for me
3. I am looking at the above: "Sync MediaMonkey with an Android device", but it is still too much information.
4. I want to start with some simple instructions to sync just a music folder on my PC to a music folder on my SD Card on my phone. No auto. Just manual sync.,
5. I already copied my music from my PC using Windows Explorer to my phone. I thought this would a good starting place for future syncs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

0) Wifi sync will only do anything if you start it in MMA. As long as you don't start it in MMA it's settings are irrelevant.
1) You can disable bi-directional sync in the Device Profile in MMW. This way you only sync from MMW to MMA.
4) Just select the folder you want synced in the Device Profile. The sync will only sync this folder.
5) This means you're relying on Android Media Scanner to pick up tags. It's been known to do a poor job. Doing a sync from MMW bypasses this problem and either a USB or wifi sync will do.

Just walk through the tabs in the Device Profile. Select what needs to be synced, disable sync from device to PC and set where it needs to be synced to. Most other settings don't matter for a working sync (ie. defaults are fine).