MMA has 3 digit track numbering hangup

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

plain

MMA has 3 digit track numbering hangup

Post by plain » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm

MMA version 1.3.5.0872
Since my last sync from MMW Gold 4.1.25.1895 my MMA has been using a 3 digit number for tracks. 101, 102, etc. instead of 1,2...
I have uninstalled MMA and reinstalled, deleted albums with the offending digits and re-synched, etc. but these newer albums still have 3 digit track listings.
I use Mp3Tag to condition my flac files for MMW then sync to MMA if that helps. All tracks in Mp3Tag and MMW are properly labelled with no leading digits.
Can anyone help? I've been very fortunate in that MMA and MMW have been relatively trouble free so far. Thanks!

Lowlander

Re: MMA has 3 digit track numbering hangup

Post by Lowlander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Exactly where do you see this? In the Filename, in the file listings or in the Track# field in Properties?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

plain

Post by plain » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 pm

I see this strange numbering in the file name. You gave me an idea though. When I put my music on my phone this time I grouped albums into 'playlists' and this may be where the confusion starts. I am going to remove everything and start over, adding by album first.
One other observation though: MMA seems to put leading zeros on the track no. for music in albums. At least that is what I saw when I searched by looking in Music folders. I never use leading zeros..?
I will start over and come back with results.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 pm

The Path (including Filename) is user configurable in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync).

plain

Post by plain » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:28 am

LOL I never could figure out how to get MMA to quit using 3 digits. I did finally understand what you referred to about changing path but when I re-synched I still get 3 digit track numbers and now some of the album covers show empty with no tracks but I can't delete them. :| I found an easier way which is to just copy the albums over to my SD card. MMW and MMA have done so well over the years I'm afraid I had no reason to learn to "troubleshoot" them. It is going to take some time for me to digest all the possibilities. Thanks for your help.

plain

Post by plain » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:24 am

I have one more question though before I quit. If I copy all albums over to my SD card instead of synching from MMW to MMA, will this cause even more indigestion for Media Monkey?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:57 pm

You're rely on the Android Media Scanner in that case instead of MMW updating MMA with tags. I don't recommend it, but it should work.

plain

Post by plain » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am

Okay Lowlander:
I'm learning some things here I have successfully avoided for years.
I copied individual folders over to my Android phone and MMA picked them up no problem during "check for changed media" in 'Options' when you hit the 3 dots upper right.
Next I found at least in Windows 7 that if you click one file then hold "shift" and click the last file you want to include, you must start at the ending file and end at the starting file. In other words songs (files) 1-40... click on 40 press and hold "shift" then scrape up to 1, stopping on 1 and right-clicking "copy". If you wag your cursor around in the list you will still get all the files but numbering will start where you click "copy". Many may already know this but I'm putting it out there for those of us who have been satisfied with blissful ignorance.
Another thing is to make your file structure match in each folder so MMA or MMW can more easily set up your database.
And lastly I think when I have the 3 digit files eventually MMA infers the proper numbering and applies it. At least that is what happened to me in MMA and in the past in MMW.
I know this is pretty windy but it might save some poor soul several frustrating hours trying to set up MMW and MMA which are great programs.
Now I have to see if MMW and MMA, both updated with proper file discipline will successfully sync. Another day for this.
Thanks for all your help. ...plain

plain

Still Getting 3 Digit Track Nos

Post by plain » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:18 am

I have been having trouble with MMA when synching from MMW. Specifically MM persists in adding a 3rd digit to each track. I have been trying to have numbering on my phone without leading zeros and had to resort to copying albums over from computer and then getting MMA to find them. This way the numbering system only shows one digit below 10 and does not add a 3rd digit.
Synching gives me a 3rd digit to add to the 'leading zero' (I don't want either).
An album with 100 tracks that I synched from PC to Android now has "101, 102..." to 118 then, the thing goes to "219, 220.." so that by the time I look at the 100th track it is numbered "900". Very frustrating. I earlier cleaned all my FLAC file tags up using MP3Tag and specifically do not use leading zeros there much less 2 leading numbers.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and how I can correct this? I would like to synch from MMW to MMA but it just creates more frustration and work for me since I don't know what I am supposed to do to get the numbering system I prefer. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:04 pm

You're likely using <Track#:3> instead of just <Track#> in the destination Mask for the files in the Device Profile.

plain

Post by plain » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks Lowlander for your reply. I checked the device settings and Track# doesn't have a numeral. I don't get it. I'm going to have to step back for a while and maybe read up some more. Thanks again.

plain

Post by plain » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Okay Lowlander, I tried working with MMA again, and again I have songs displayed with 3 digit numbers.
While I was working on this I figured I might as well get a bigger SD card.
1. I uninstalled MMA
2. Using Total Commander, I deleted all files in MediaMonkey folder on the old SD card while it was still in the phone and after I had uninstalled MMA.
3. Using Total Commander, I deleted every file I could find for MMA on the phone itself.
4. Shut down phone pull SD card put data on new one and installed new one.
5. Reinstalled MMA
6. Changed the directory on the new SD card in MMW to not have double digit numbers (Track#)
7. Did first sync from MMW to MMA without designating any music.
8. Synched one album from MMW to MMA SD card. Tracks show 101, 102, 103, etc.
9. Changed directory setup on phone to have the same as SD card in case MMA might see a conflict.
10. Track no's. 101, 102, 103..etc.
Do you have any suggestions as to what I might try next?

plain

Post by plain » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:33 pm

To add a little here.
I have been studying the Wiki and the instructions there and I'm pretty sure I didn't violate any rules.

plain

Post by plain » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:12 pm

Okay for all who have read of this quest to whittle down the track number in MMA it appears MMA will display your disk number if you entered it in the tag which I faithfully do so that I have 1's and 2's and 3's... ad infintum leading my track numbers. I thought at first I was doing something wrong. Then I was ready to completely start over with MMW thinking the problem had started on it but in reading of this problem on other boards it appears to be something in MMA. Well at least I didn't delete my Windows database :). Makes things a lot simpler for me.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 am

Check Properties for actual values in MMA. They may be correct and it's just a display issue.