Files marked as inaccessible contain a path error

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

glennharvey

Files marked as inaccessible contain a path error

Post by glennharvey »

Hi, I'm still fairly new to Media Monkey, hoping for some help. I use ITunes to convert the CDs to the standard ITunes file directory, then Media Monkey loads them. Following a sync operation to my phone, however, I get a list of files in a box labeled "Error" that are always listed as "inaccessible". What is common to every file is that the path listed in the list of source files does not match the actual source filename on the PC. In some cases, it is looking for an mp3 file, whereas the source file is m4a. In others, there is a one or two character mistake in the path name. In one case, after the file was created by ITunes, I edited the path name to make it shorter. It seems like Media Monkey has made an error in a database that is used to identify the source file. It is fairly frequent, but I wouldn't mind reloading each file individually. But, can someone please explain how to fix these errors?

By the way, it would be really helpful to be able to copy and paste the list of the files to a text editor, but the box doesn't appear to be active, I can't sweep it with a mouse to highlight it before a copy command. I know how to save it as a playlist, but does anyone know of a way to be able to copy/paste from the dialog bix?

Thanks, Glenn Harvey Mt. Shasta in Northern California
Peke

Re: Files marked as inaccessible contain a path error

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMW can't track changes made outside MMW as if you change path or file format there is no way that MMW can recognize change and only thing left is to add new file to library.

You can always delete such files from library by using Files to Edit -> Dead links

HINT: A general practice is if you use one Media Manager app then use that app, not multiple apps for same job. eg. if you RIP and Tag files in iTunes then only after you are done with files you add them in MMW and after add do not touch them anymore in iTunes. Or you use MMW for RIP also.

It would be the same as if you make sandwich with cheese and green salad and someone replace the salad with tomato and cheese with beans, I gues syou would argue where is your sandwich and make fuzz about it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Re: Files marked as inaccessible contain a path error

Post by Lowlander »

It is best to use MediaMonkey to manage the files.

If you don't want to the second best is to have Folder Monitoring active on source and destination folder of any changes made outside of MediaMonkey and leave MediaMonkey running while making the changes. This should allow MediaMonkey to see the changes while they're being made and update itself.

Third best would be to use Locate Moved/Missing Files once changes are made to locate moved files (find them in Dead Links). This will have varying success depending on what you changed and requires that you review the matches MediaMonkey makes to verify they're good.

The last option is to just remove Dead Links and rescan.

Only when MediaMonkey can keep track of a file, will it maintain the files Play History and on which Playlists the file is located. So in the last option those things are lost. This is why it's best practice to do all file actions within the Media Manager like MediaMonkey.