Unsupported by the receiver

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

MabelVanA

Unsupported by the receiver

Post by MabelVanA »

MM for Android gives me this errormessage when I try to 'cast' FLAC files with music in 96/24 format to my ChromeCast Audio. I can't really explain why and would like to know more about the way things work.
My setup: on a Win10 computer I run several Mediaservers, e.g. MM Gold. When I use MM for Android on my phone (opting for DLNA) they play fine until the moment I try to cast them to the Google ChromeCast, when I get the errormessage. This is not correct since the Chromecast does support the format.
When using VLC for Android on my phone I get no such message and the file plays via the ChromeCast.
Apart from the fact that the errormessage is wrong, what is bugging me is that I don't understand how it all works. How can MM on my phone know that the format is 'unsupported' by ChromeCast (or whatever receiver, for that matter)? I suppose it must be so informed by the Mediaserver. But if the Mediaserver returns an error, why, then, does not VLC have the same problem? In other words, I can't make out what the exact roles are of server, Android client and ChromeCast client.
So I have two questions: 1) why this unwarrented errormessage and 2) How does this work?
I'd be grateful for any insights or a pointer to relevant documentation which I can't seem to find.
Mabel