Adding reference to Visual Studio project [#17897]

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

bensynnock

Adding reference to Visual Studio project [#17897]

Post by bensynnock »

I have a couple of visual studio projects that I wrote to work with MM4 which I'd like to get updated for MM5 and I'm getting an error when I try to add the reference to Mediamonkey's COM object to the project, as per this page:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/Contro ... plications

"For .NET-based applications, you must also add a reference to MediaMonkey's COM object "MediaMonkey Library" to your Visual Studio project, so that the compiler can find MediaMonkey and the SongsDB5 namespace."

I can see the Mediamonkey COM object in the list, but when I try to add it I get an error: "A task was cancelled". I clear the error and then Visual Studio goes not responding.

I also get the same error when adding it to a new project, and its a new installation of Visual Studio on this machine.

Has anybody managed to get this working in Visual Studio? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
drakinite

Re: Adding reference to Visual Studio project

Post by drakinite »

Sorry, that snipped that you quoted was copied from the original MM4 scripting wiki page by me. (https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/Introd ... _scripting) If you have an external application that uses the COM model to communicate with MM, it should behave the same as with MM4 except that it uses the SongsDB5.SDBApplication namespace instead of SongsDB.SDBApplication - aside from a number of known issues with the Player object that are on the todo list (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17174)

If that snippet is not relevant or incorrect, I'll remove it. When you attempt the same thing with the MM4 COM object, do you get the same issue or does it work for you?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

Thanks for your reply.

I've gone through it all again, removed all the existing references from the project and re-added the MM4 COM reference with no problem. Then removed it again and attempted to add the MM5 reference with the same error as above. The same thing happens with an otherwise blank project.

Its a new installation of Win10, and a new installation of VS2019 also.
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

It would be really helpful if anybody who has managed to get the com reference to work in visual studio 2019 to let me know what version of VS they are using please. If anybody has visual studio installed and hasn't tried to add the com reference then I'd be grateful if they could give it a go and let me know what happens.

I'm getting the same error with two different PCs, both of which have fresh installs of windows 10, fresh installs of visual studio, and of mediamonkey 5.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Hi, sorry for the late response. I'm not the most experienced with Visual Studio, but I'll do some tests and see if I can come up with something.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

Do you have the projects published somewhere?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I can reproduce the issue on Visual Studio 2017; tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17897. Sorry about the trouble. Is your project for a separate application that runs alongside MM, or for an addon that will run within MM? If it's the latter, it may be worth trying out using JavaScript for the addon, which will let it be used on multiple platforms when it comes time for Mac MM. :grin:
jitterjames

Re: Adding reference to Visual Studio project [#17897]

Post by jitterjames »

I have the same issue.

The ticket describes the issue as
Priority: immediate
Severity: major
Reproducibility: always

and yet it has been 8 months and noone seems to be looking at it.

The entire com API is completely broken and noone wants to fix it? Weird.

For now, anyone who wants to use MediaMonkey with VoxCommando must remain on MM version 4. It's a shame.
htpc voice control application:
http://www.VoxCommando.com
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

I think it's due for a fix in 5.0.3. I would guess that there are higher priorities.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I escalated as asked Dev to feedback on estimate and set roadmap.
bensynnock wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:07 pm I think it's due for a fix in 5.0.3. I would guess that there are higher priorities.
You are right it was pushed due the priorities.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jitterjames

Post by jitterjames »

Thanks!
jitterjames

Post by jitterjames »

For what it's worth, I have this issue in Visual Studio Community Edition 2019.

If you need me to install a later version of VS Community to test, I'll be happy to do that.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

No problem. You could, but it's likely not necessary.

Also, for additional context: The reason it was deferred to 5.0.3 was because the priority was initially low. Someone else posted the same issue on this thread, and since it's clear multiple people are waiting for a fix on that issue, it was bumped up just a few days ago.
jitterjames

Post by jitterjames »

I'm sure this isn't news because there was no mention of this issue in the list of updates, but I tested
MediaMonkey_5.0.3.2600_Debug.exe

found here:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d

and the problem remains when trying to add the COM reference.
bensynnock

Post by bensynnock »

I notice that this has been again pushed back, now to 5.1. I appreciate that there are a lot of other things to do and fixes aren't always easy, but I'm disappointed that after a year I've still not been able to get my application to work with MM5.

Perhaps I should have re-written it at the beginning after all.