Tool chain for development

To discuss development of addons / skins / customization of MediaMonkey.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Zonky

Tool chain for development

Post by Zonky »

Hi!

What are the recommended tools to develop addons for MM5?

Michael
Peke

Re: Tool chain for development

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As MM is JS/HTML/CSS3/LESS based and DB calls are SQLite based you can use any tool you usually use with those.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drakinite

Re: Tool chain for development

Post by drakinite »

Personally, I would recommend using Visual Studio Code. It's a great and flexible IDE, and I especially find its global search very useful in MM5 addon development. If I don't know what piece of code is responsible for a piece of dialog, for example, I'll search for that string in VS Code, which will search the contents of all the files and show you every instance where that string is used.

Additionally, a tool I created called pack-mmip is pretty handy to quickly pack and test addons, which is available here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97536

And lastly, you can find several tips and tricks in the Developer API pinned post here. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81285
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.