How do you organize your CLASSICAL collection

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

tbessie

How do you organize your CLASSICAL collection

Post by tbessie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:11 pm

I've just finally finished tagging my (megre by comparison to some here) library of around 68 classical CDs (about 1200 tracks).

Organizing classical music has it's own challenges (for example, composer versus artist versus album artist, how to identify individual performers and soloists, very long titles and group-names, duplcate titles on the same album (eg. I have an album of Renaissance lute music that has 3 tracks entitled "Sarabande" by the same artist/composer).

How do you folks with classical collections keep them organized? I'd thought of doing the following:

1) Composer goes in the Composer field
2) Artist is the actual performer(s)
3) Album Artist is the actual perform(s), or Various
4) Individual work's name -- if there are more than 1 on the album -- contain the title of the work (eg. "Concerto for Strings, Op. 1 No. 6 - I. Adagio")
5) Tracks with the same title KEEP their same title, and I make sure my file-naming patterns contain track numbers themselves so that files don't get overwritten. Some people, I see, put a (1) or (2) , etc. after a duplicate track title to distinguish.
6) Just 2 levels of Genre right now... Genre=Classical, SubGenre (my own user-defined field) is Opera, Orchestral, Chamber Music, Renaissance, etc.). Of course, I could add a 3rd level to be more precise if I wanted, but that could make management more of a headache.

There are other things specific to doing this, but I'm wondering what others here have done with these and other problems. I'll also search here and elsewhere, as I'm sure there are many anal Classical listeners like me out there. :-)

- Tim
Last edited by tbessie on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:37 pm

i keep them simple.

:\my music\artist\album\genere\title

i add the connductors name to the name of orchestra as in.

:\my music\john williams and the boston pops\greatest hits\classical\popcorn.ogg

for me thats all i need just enough to keep the songs with the same title out of one massive folder. :P
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Popcorn!! :lol:

I use:
artist(performer)\album(composer-title)\track number\title

I enter composer in the composer tag field as well as before the album title (this is mosly because of the way iPods display tag info)

So Lenny Bernstein conducting Mahler Symphony 9 would be:
Bernstein-Vienna Philharmonic\Mahler-Symphony 9\01\Andante Comodo

Etc.

Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Doo doo doo-doo doodoodoo
Doo doo doo-doo doodoodoo

Doo-doo DOODOO DOODOO DOO DOO DOODOO

Damn you rovingcowboy!
Now I can't get any work done
:P

junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:40 pm

well atleast i did not say coffee? or java? or the accleration waltz? or tick tack waltz?

oops just did?

ha ha hh aha hhhs haahah :P :P :P :roll: :wink:

roving cowboy / keith hall.

junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:42 pm

hey just thought have you ever heard the popcorn song preformed by the crazy frog?

its wild. :P

Peke

Post by Peke » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Trivia
Who is original Writer Performer of PopCorn?

If someone cheat I'll know and than this Topic goes to Off Topic
8) :-? :lol: :roll: :wink:
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Peke wrote:Trivia
Who is original Writer Performer of PopCorn?

If someone cheat I'll know and than this Topic goes to Off Topic
8) :-? :lol: :roll: :wink:
Wasn't it "Hot Butter"?

And how did my beautiful thread morph into this POP CULTURE discusstion? :-)

- Tim

Muggs

Post by Muggs » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Wasn't it "Hot Butter"?

It was indeed!

Ahh, the moog synthesizer. I was actually able to "play" one when I was a kid (late 60's) at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

Muggs

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:43 am

i got a moog album it is old i am just about to put it on the jukebox computer.

boy do they complain about how hard it was to set up the moog machine.

how did your thread turn in to pop culture? salt's me? :roll:

must have been the popcorn smell? :wink:

ha ha ha . :P :lol:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.