Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

brooklynspo

New Features List

Post by brooklynspo »

Thank you Nohitter. That's very helpful.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

My experience? MediaMonkey has taken over!

I'm a gamer and I generally spend a good portion of my day playing something (I work part time). Since I got MM about a week ago, I haven't played a single game!

I'm also neurotic, O/C, mad as a hatter. Call it what you will! I love organizing stuff and customizing new programs. MM has gone a long way to fulfilling my O/C needs. :lol:

Thanks, MediaMonkey! Have a drink on me. 8)
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

After installing MM3 I was very disappointed in MM3's performance, GUI, incompatibility with WST, and general oddities. After he installed MM3, a friend of mine begged me to get the MM2.5.5 final installer for him. I installed version 3.0.2.1134 today but I haven't played with it enough to really determine if its any better. As soon as I get new music I'll probably upgrade to MM2.5.5 so I can tag them properly with Steegy's Web Sources Tagger.
daelin73

Post by daelin73 »

My experience was great with 2.5

I stuck around for the Beta version of 3.0 and quickly left after getting my iPod Classic. Nothing was really supported with it and they didn't support AAC/M4A, so with the new iPod, I moved back to iTunes. After getting extremely frustrated with the AAC quality and the inability to transcode on the fly, I took a look at MediaMonkey again now that 3.0 went public.

I quickly noticed that the music sounded much better with MP3 320kbps Joint Stereo. So..... I dug out all my old DVDs with my Lossless files and proceeded to move them back onto an external hard drive. Using MM's duplicate check, I removed all the old, bad sounding AAC files/MP3 files and used all my original WMA lossless files and Apple Lossless files. To save space and keep the sound quality good, I set up converters for the AL files and needed ones for the WMA ones also.

It takes a while to convert all the songs into the new MP3 versions, but it's worth it to be able to change destination formats on the fly without having to re-encode everything manually.

What I wish it could do was Video, but I just set the iPod for manual sync and I can go with that. The great thing about all of this is that now I can add songs on my iPod at work and still be able to sync at home to keep a local copy..... (well, I haven't tried to sync-back option, but at least there is one)

All the plugins are great (I do like the installers, trixmoto.... ;) It makes it convenient to add new plugins without having to do extra steps.)

Auto-ratings and removal of the ", The" from all my purchased Yahoo Music songs are my favorites so far, but since there are so many and since I'm thinking about dusting off my VB software here, I may even think about trying to come up with some of my own one day...... Everyone has a head start, but you have to start somewhere, right?

There's too much to mention and while the GUI isn't as flashy as the others, it works so well with its own functions and plugins that I moved iTunes into the secondary position for the iPod. MM has been good to me so far. And with all of the organization, duplication, tag-checks, etc..... my library is finally organized again and all the files are located.

Plus, the Classic support is much better now with the release which is a definite plus.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Is this thread just about the Gold version? Anyway, I'm a new user of the free version of MM and I'm still learning the ropes of using this program - there's far more that I don't know than I do about all it's features. It seems there's a bit more of a learning curve with this than I thought there might be. First my main complaint: I've noticed that ripping CD's is a lot slower than when I rip them using Roxio EZ CD Creator. But, I do like with how quick I can transfer a group of songs/playlist directly to my Sansa player.

I guess the best place to learn the basics of this program, all in one place, is the internal Help menu? Things such as "Auto Playlist", "Virtual CD", are new to me and I wish there was a video tutorial, MediaMonkey for Dummies available! :D

Nice forum you got here.
Sblast

Post by Sblast »

I fucking love it.
Only fix the bugs and its near perfect.
Its a little tough on memory and CPU from time to time, would be nicer if there would be a stripped down skin or settings.
lowlove

Post by lowlove »

Well, after 1 year of long awaiting I must say I'm quite disappointed.

1. The three skins are uncomfortable. Too much colors. Unrecognizable icons.

2. The player's control block is *far* too big ! What's the point of having this huge thing at the bottom of the window ? I can't even squeeze the playlist at its left like I used to.

3. MY MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD (Logitech) DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS NEW VERSION. How is that possible ? MM3 simply doesn't care of the keys I press. That's soooooo ennoying.

I won't talk about the (many) good points because the three above are unbearable, especially the multimedia part.

I'm switching back to MM2 ! And I hope my database is still intact !
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

lowlove wrote:Well, after 1 year of long awaiting I must say I'm quite disappointed.

1. The three skins are uncomfortable. Too much colors. Unrecognizable icons.

2. The player's control block is *far* too big ! What's the point of having this huge thing at the bottom of the window ? I can't even squeeze the playlist at its left like I used to.

3. MY MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD (Logitech) DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS NEW VERSION. How is that possible ? MM3 simply doesn't care of the keys I press. That's soooooo ennoying.

I won't talk about the (many) good points because the three above are unbearable, especially the multimedia part.

I'm switching back to MM2 ! And I hope my database is still intact !
These are all solvable issues. There are already a bunch of other skins available for MM3:
http://mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/S ... and_higher

And your keyboard problem has been discussed at length multiple times on this forum. Your solution for that is only a short search away:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... a+keyboard

And there are a ton more.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Although I have installed MediaMonkey 3 on 2 of my machines they are only for playback and have only read permissions on my music. My music management PC is still running MediaMonkey 2.5.

First I was never really exited with the new look unlike the last MediaMonkey interface change which got me really exited.
Second the amount of reported issues is what really held me back from upgrading. I just couldn't bare that anything would happen with my music collection.
I'm planning to soon take the jump and do a dual install. This mostly as giving support on a software that I've barely used is becoming increasingly hard. My other hope is that MediaMonkey 3 will be faster as my MediaMonkey 2.5 database is over 100MB and MS Access doesn't handle large databases well.

My experience with MediaMonkey 3 for playback is positive, whereas MediaMonkey 2 would throw the occasional tantrum, MediaMonkey 3 has run flawlessly.
lowlove

Post by lowlove »

OMG !!! WHERE IS THE BALANCE CONTROL ??
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

lowlove wrote:OMG !!! WHERE IS THE BALANCE CONTROL ??
Only certain skins have balance control:
http://mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/S ... and_higher

lowlove

Post by lowlove »

Well, even the non-skinned version don't have balance control, I don't think any skin implements this "missing" feature :-(
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

lowlove wrote:Well, even the non-skinned version don't have balance control, I don't think any skin implements this "missing" feature :-(
I've made a few skins that have a balance control, so I know at least some have it. To name a few, Aqua4, Blue Monkey, and SoftBlue all have it for sure. I think Rovingcowboy has a balance bar in all of his skins as well.

lowlove

Post by lowlove »

The truth is that skins using the "old" player have balance control, skins for the new player (the huge one that eats all the bottom of the player) don't have it because it's not implemented.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

lowlove wrote:The truth is that skins using the "old" player have balance control, skins for the new player (the huge one that eats all the bottom of the player) don't have it because it's not implemented.
No, thats wrong. As a skinner (who has made 5 skins already), I know it can be added to any skin. It just seems as though no one has wanted to add it in. It IS implemented.