Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

spacefish

Post by spacefish »

nohitter151 wrote:
lowlove wrote:The truth is that skins using the "old" player have balance control, skins for the new player (the huge one that eats all the bottom of the player) don't have it because it's not implemented.
No, thats wrong. As a skinner (who has made 5 skins already), I know it can be added to any skin. It just seems as though no one has wanted to add it in. It IS implemented.
I know I don't personally have a use for a balance control so I certainly don't miss it. As for the new player that "eats all the bottom", there are skins other than Glided (the default MM3 skin) which don't lock the player at the bottom of the window. I'm using nohitter's Zune skin for example, and have it tucked in at the bottom of the center window. Very nice!
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

I have submitted quite a few very detailed bug reports. While 3 of the team members have corresponded with me (showing they do have interest in fixing them), it's been over two weeks and they have yet to solve even the most benign of them.

In the mean time, I keep finding new ones. I just don't bother submitting them anymore, because they don't get solved.

Maybe I'm just finding the hardest bugs in the history of MM

Problems:
- keyboard shorcuts don't work properly
- album art is sometimes ignored, even when it's clearly there.
- DSP plugins crash the app when closing (e.g., Izotope Ozone); granted, they are winamp plugins. Still they worked in 2.5 but not in 3.0
- Lots of convoluted stuff to get last fm working
- Fonts are screwed in many skins

etc

I agree that this is a very promising player; but you will pay dearly with your own time chasing bugs if you decide to use it.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Nice copy paste urwolf :wink:
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

:)

Just so you know, last.fm fiddling should be solved by the new native last.fm plugin. The only problem is that if yo don't use the official plugin, you don't get to tag songs, nor to see artist description etc
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

Addding to that...

I've been investigating the shortcut issue, and it might be related to some other applications interacting with MM's.
Looks like it's a real fight at the OS level for keyboard hooks taking place on _my_ computer.
I think the problem was a side effect of other apps leaving alt pressed (or similar; maybe shift).

So I'm not really sure MM3 was at fault. Sorry about my ranting...

Post by Guest »

I tried MM 2.5 a year or so back & uninstalled it after a week because of stability & resource issues. MM 3, though, has been rock solid & modest in its demands on my system. Playback quality is at least as good as anything else (Winamp, QCD, XMPlay, foobar2000) that I've used.

I use both iZotope Ozone (paid version - my overall favorite DSP) & DFX (my preference for some of my music) with no hiccups. Note to urlwolf: I installed Ozone in my Winamp folder & then copied the main DLL into the MM plugin folder.

Further to urlwolf: my keyboard shortcuts work just fine. This is important for me because I work at home. When the phone rings, I have to be able to pause the music immediately, even if an app other than MM has focus. I don't have a multimedia keyboard.

My favorite MM features are the playlist functionality - the most sophisticated implementation I've ever seen - & iPod synchronization, which handles both my 3rd gen 40 GB & my 2nd gen nano iPods.

My only complaint is about the interface. The icons that appear when the standard toolbar is enabled seem like an afterthought.

In short, MM 3 has so impressed me that I've actually paid for the Gold version.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

@guest:
interesting, I did the exact same thing with izotope ozone, but it produced crashes.

Actually, I sent my copy of izotope to MM devs, they tested it, and reproduced the crashes.

it might be an interaction with a second plugin, maybe. Which other plugins do you have installed?

Thanks!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous wrote:I tried MM 2.5 a year or so back & uninstalled it after a week because of stability & resource issues. MM 3, though, has been rock solid & modest in its demands on my system. Playback quality is at least as good as anything else (Winamp, QCD, XMPlay, foobar2000) that I've used.

I use both iZotope Ozone (paid version - my overall favorite DSP) & DFX (my preference for some of my music) with no hiccups. Note to urlwolf: I installed Ozone in my Winamp folder & then copied the main DLL into the MM plugin folder.

Further to urlwolf: my keyboard shortcuts work just fine. This is important for me because I work at home. When the phone rings, I have to be able to pause the music immediately, even if an app other than MM has focus. I don't have a multimedia keyboard.

My favorite MM features are the playlist functionality - the most sophisticated implementation I've ever seen - & iPod synchronization, which handles both my 3rd gen 40 GB & my 2nd gen nano iPods.

My only complaint is about the interface. The icons that appear when the standard toolbar is enabled seem like an afterthought.

In short, MM 3 has so impressed me that I've actually paid for the Gold version.
If you don't like the standard icons you could take a look at an alternate icon pack.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jimbres

Post by jimbres »

urlwolf -

The only 2 plugins that I've installed are Ozone & DFX, with Ozone at the top of the list. All of the other (input, output, visualization) plugins were installed by the MM installer. I've left those alone.

FWIW, I'm running XP Pro SP2. My video card is a GeForce 8600 GTS. (I mention that only because I suspect that my problems with MM 2.5 were related to the AGP card that I was using at that time. I can't prove that, though.) My sound card is an SB X-Fi XtremeGamer.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Small Pointer Ozone have separate Installer for MediaMonkey which do not make problems in MM. Maybe DFX was not problem.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
DaKo

Post by DaKo »

I do also have some problems with Ozone. Most of the time it works correctly, but sometimes it crashes MediaMonkey when I start the program. I have no clue why this happens. I hope this will be fixed.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

I only have two issues with 3.0.3.1140:

1) Upon startup, when doing the initial file monitor scan, MM3 displays the error "Cannot delete (folder name). Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights" on some folders. This has been happening through several MM3 versions. I'm stumped as to why it's complaining about these folders.

2) Can't sync microSDHC cards while they're in the player (Sansa Connect, Sirius Stiletto 2, and I know people have complained about this with other players) :( ... I consider this to be more than a "nice to have", as constantly removing and re-inserting a card is physically wearing on both the card and the player.
TennesseeStud

I tried MM3 a Few Months ago.

Post by TennesseeStud »

My Biggest hangup with MM3 is the fact that it doesn't support CD Text, What's up with that anyway? I do like to be able to use the CD text when I burn a disc. Know what I mean?

If this has been fixed please let me know,

Thanks.....

Fred..............
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

TennesseeStud,
CD-text works fine in MM 3.0 if your device supports CD-Text.

Note: You need to burn using DAO (Disk-at-once) to be able burn CD-text and you need to have [X] Write CD-text checkbox ticked.
Then it should work.
soundzoff

Ozone & DSP instability

Post by soundzoff »

Peke wrote:Small Pointer Ozone have separate Installer for MediaMonkey which do not make problems in MM. Maybe DFX was not problem.
If there really is a specialized version of Ozone for MM, I would like to know where and how to get it.

I have paid versions of both DFX (the latest version) and Ozone (which as far as I know hasn't been updated for years). Both work with MM3 if you copy their DLLs from winamp to MM progfiles folders. However, I have a helluva time switching back and forth between them. Especially Ozone--it's pretty much impossible to close it without crashing MM. Sometimes I resort to editing the MM ini file. But on the new RC 3.0.3.1155, the instability is worse than previously, and even direct ini editing doesn't work.

I sure wish Ozone could be made to behave more dependably. Both dsps enhance sound considerably, but some kinds of music do better with Ozone, others with DFX.

When you have a really high end sound card and speakers, believe me, you can hear the difference, not just between plugins, but between ALL media players, and, for that matter, between waveout and directsound. (I can differentiate, on music I already know, with my eyes closed.)

There may be many reasons for preferring MM to winamp, but my reason is simple: it sounds much better. Winamp is very stable and functional, I like it fine, and all plugins work fine with it, but it has a 'thin', cheap-electronics kind of sound. MM sounds much richer--it sounds as good as Windows Media Player, at least, and doesn't have as many restrictions as WMP (which disables plugins for almost anything except local hard-drive rips, and Ozone doesn't work with WMP at all in Vista).

For me, PC audio nirvana is a high-bitrate ogg or flac file, on this high-end equipment, listened thru MM, with my DSP of choice. Too bad that last qualification only comes with a lot of crashing and stability grief.