Mediamonkey wiped all my mp3s

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

w1loki2w

Mediamonkey wiped all my mp3s

Post by w1loki2w » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:06 am

Alright. I'm running mediamonkey gold v2.5.5.998.

Here's what happened:

Playing music from external hdd (a WD Passport).
Without pausing, hibernated laptop.
Without plugging hdd back in, woke up laptop.
Tell Mediamonkey to sync my ipod, notice that it says that it can't find most of the files I'm trying to sync.
Mediamonkey won't play any of my mp3 files, saying the hdd needs to be checked and plugged back in.
I check the hdd and discover that all of my mp3 files are gone. The album art is still there, the artist and album folders are still there, Mediamonkey's database doesn't even know that the files are missing.

EDIT:: also deleted my m3u files, i think. only reason i don't know for sure is that i don't really use m3u playlists.

Interestingly enough, at least for me, was that only my mp3 files were deleted. Not my flac files, and not my wmas, either.

Anyway, fyi for anyone else using this version, a laptop, and an external hdd.
Last edited by w1loki2w on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 am

you might have got hit by the mp3 virus that has been floating around for a couple of years.

there is one that also wipes out jpg files. :x dang virus writers anyway.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:21 am

t's weird, because i haven't downloaded much of anything since i last did a sweep.

Alas, i've been preventing my on-access scanners from doing their thing to improve performance. Silly me.

The good news is this, my friends - a standard data recovery tool can bring them back, all of them if you haven't overwritten the sectors containing your files.

I'm going to run a scan once I get my music back - should have been the first thing I did, but now i don't want to risk anything corrupting these files when they're so vulnerable.

w1loki2w

Post by w1loki2w » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:35 am

didn't notice that i logged out.

anyway, not only have i scanned everything i've dled to that drive, and everything else i've dled, it only wiped what was on the one drive. So, more good news - if you happen to get the virus, *it'll only wipe whatever drive it's on! :)

*assuming that i got the virus. I haven't turned up anything yet, though.

devinburn

happened to me too

Post by devinburn » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

The same thing happened to me. Running my music from an external WD HDD. I know it was mediamonkey too, because it left some music on the drive, the music left was the music that i had not yet imported into MM. I dunno, why or ho it happened, i've been using MM for a few years now and i love it. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I lost a lot (30,000) songs, but i should be able to get them back.

still sucks though.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm

That is awfully strange... MM shouldn't remove anything unless you told it to by pressing delete and 'remove from library and computer' or you auto-organized and didnt do a right mask and told it to overwrite..

jiri

Post by jiri » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 am

Feel free to post more details here in order to be able to find out what happened. However, exactly as Teknojnky wrote, MM doesn't delete any files without confirmation, so I don't understand how would this happen.

Jiri

Nova5

Post by Nova5 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:52 pm

sounds more like the FAT Table was being accessed (external drives tend to be partitioned with the FAT file system) when you hibernated the laptop, corrupting it. Hibernation can interrupt many things that shouldn't be. Anyhow, if you haven't written much of anything to the drive, plug it back in, right click on its drive letter in My Computer. Properties, Tools, Disk Scan/ Check Disk. it should detect the corrupted FAT and correct it.

Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

I remember reading something a while back about WD blocking access to music on the ext drives if you use WD software. This may be the issue.

http://www.ditii.com/2007/12/09/western ... and-video/