Focus on iDevices support : does it make sense?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

vpsaxman

Focus on iDevices support : does it make sense?

Post by vpsaxman »

I mean, the devs seem to be spending an awful lot of time trying to mod MM to work with every iOS update or new iDevice when they could be focusing on other things like the long list of bugs, the long wishlist, MM4 and the 1995 look of the software. MM ain't even supported on Mac. Why spend so much time on this when iDevice users could use MM to organize their library, create playlists (and export them) and iTunes to sync their iDevice? What am I missing here? Is there that many MM users with an iDevice? What would be the percentage of people using MM and an iDevice? What about the paying gold customers : how many of them use an iDevice?

I'm not trying to troll or hate, it's a sincere question (actually a few of them)...
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
nohitter151

Re: Focus on iDevices support : does it make sense?

Post by nohitter151 »

vpsaxman wrote:I mean, the devs seem to be spending an awful lot of time trying to mod MM to work with every iOS update or new iDevice when they could be focusing on other things like the long list of bugs, the long wishlist, MM4 and the 1995 look of the software. MM ain't even supported on Mac. Why spend so much time on this when iDevice users could use MM to organize their library, create playlists (and export them) and iTunes to sync their iDevice? What am I missing here? Is there that many MM users with an iDevice? What would be the percentage of people using MM and an iDevice? What about the paying gold customers : how many of them use an iDevice?

I'm not trying to troll or hate, it's a sincere question (actually a few of them)...
Have you ever seen the posts in this forum when MM no longer supports the iPhone/iPod touch latest firmware, etc.? There's quite a lot of users who complain about it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

Actually, I would agree with vpsaxman - as a paying lifetime Gold member, I would like to see the software move forward in it's own right. I appreciate the difficulty in having to keep up with e.g. Apple's patches in order to support iDevices, but Apple most likely have a lot more development resources, time pr man hour, money etc., than is the case for MM, but in order for me to continue finding MM a viable alternative to other audio player, such as SongBird, start crushing existing bugs, start looking at the wishlist. Many ppl ask for video integration, but that not quite what I'm advocating here, other products do that for you, VLC, MediaPlayer Classic etc, just stick to one branch - being an excellent audio player.

Just my 5 cents :-)
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I agree also, with the OP and I think it's a fair point for discussion.
I'm a long time iPod user and have been using MM to sync them, but not since I changed to the iPod Touch.
I'm not knocking MM for chasing Apple but I think the number of people that want this are in the minority but as a result we all wait while the developers try to keep up with new apple OS or hardware releases rather than get on with programme improvement in other areas.

I now lock iTunes to one drive which gets it's music from a backup of my Mediamonkey drive. I use iTunes to sync the iPod and I don't care now what apple do re software/firmware releases.

Sure the apple software isn't brilliant and playlists are very basic, but it does what I need.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Personally I don't own an iDevice (and don't plan to) but I can see why it makes commerical sense to provide an alternative to iTunes. Also, if you've sold gold membership to people based on the fact that you support iDevices, there will be some very unhappy customers if this support was to lapse.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Music Diva

Post by Music Diva »

Disclaimer: I'm an iDevice user who also uses other devices. But please don't send iDevice users back to the Dark Ages(iTunes), lol. :D

Yes support makes sense to some degree. iDevice users are very plentiful, why not snatch up those users too? iTunes is absolutely pitiful for large libraries. I can't deal with it for that reason alone. MM is the best alternative out there for large music libraries. Plus iTunes is getting a bit too nosy IMO.

However, if Media Monkey developers are ignoring other features and requests, maybe they could balance it out better. I agree they need an updated look for one. The root directory bug for other devices is another they could work on. I had to do that workaround posted. It worked but shouldn't that have been fixed by now? I think that workaround is several years old.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Many changes have been held of to version 4, which makes sense as it's a big update. You also can't do less on iDevice support as if you support it you'll need to fix whatever get's broken by Apple and if you read the forums whenever things break you'll see there are plenty of iDevice users and they're angered quickly too (and Gold users as well).

I think it's unfortunate, but MediaMonkey needs to support iDevices and that comes with it's set of headaches.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post by guest »

As for myself, the only reason to start using MM was my recent purchase of iPhone!
For years I've been able to manage my collection (tags, artwork, genres, artists, etc.) by widely available utilities and proper folder structure.
Whatever you say about Windows Mobile or Android devices, only iDevices have such a plethora of essential peripherals available - adapters, docking stations, speakers, etc. - and they come from Yamaha, B&W, and other industry experts.
IMHO, MM should use its iPhone support as a competitive advantage! Even offer it as Gold version feature only, perhaps.
vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman »

I don't get it. Why would anyone specifically need MM to put stuff on an iDevice? Could someone explain it to me? Managing a collection, tagging it, enhancing it, playlists are the core functions of MM. You can use iTunes to sync your stuff on the iPhone, can't you?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

vpsaxman wrote:I don't get it. Why would anyone specifically need MM to put stuff on an iDevice? Could someone explain it to me? Managing a collection, tagging it, enhancing it, playlists are the core functions of MM. You can use iTunes to sync your stuff on the iPhone, can't you?
The number of times I asked myself the same thing vpsaxman!
:-?
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You can use iTunes to sync with your iDevice in the same way that you can use WMP to manage and tag your collection - MM does it better! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I don't have any iDevice but from what i know,
Mediamonkey can not sync contacts, calendars, notes, bookmarks, email account settings , videos, ...
And it can't be used for firmware upgrades.

Given that, how is Mediamonkey better than iTunes to sync with an iDevice?
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote:I don't have any iDevice but from what i know,
Mediamonkey can not sync contacts, calendars, notes, bookmarks, email account settings , videos, ...
And it can't be used for firmware upgrades.

Given that, how is Mediamonkey better than iTunes to sync with an iDevice?
Because let's assume that you not only have an iPod but also have another player that does not sync with iTunes. Do you want to have to maintain both iTunes and Windows Media Player (or even MM) or just use one program to sync both players? I'd think that one program would be preferable in any case. Especially considering that tag changes made in MM aren't picked up by iTunes because it only reads tags on the initial scan of files. Otherwise, it uses it's own DB.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

vpsaxman wrote:I don't get it. Why would anyone specifically need MM to put stuff on an iDevice? Could someone explain it to me? Managing a collection, tagging it, enhancing it, playlists are the core functions of MM. You can use iTunes to sync your stuff on the iPhone, can't you?
Melloware's two cents coming: Because iTunes is the crappiest software ever written. It is a huge bloated beast that is not only Apple's music delivery platform, but their movie delivery platform, and their app delivery platform, their iPhone management software, your photo managing software.... Basically they took a simple Music player and turned it into an OS it tries to do so much. Microsoft made the same mistake with Internet Explorer and emedding it in the desktop for Live Backgrounds, wallpapers, and making it the file explorer as well. Itunes also manages large collections poorly as a 200,000 song collection generates a 1 GB XML file for iTunes. That is right, 1 GB of XML.

It is the whole reason I developed MonkeyTunes, I like what Apple does but think MM does it all better!

That being said, I think Android support is key for MM. Android is gaining market share by leaps and bounds and is more developer/customer friendly than Apple/iPhone.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
tinana

Post by tinana »

.... Basically they took a simple Music player and turned it into an OS it tries to do so much
Ironically, this is what is what scares me about the changes coming in MM4. There's a big difference I know between Itunes and it's music store/app store/music player/etc and MM, but I hope the coming addition of video in MM doesn't hurt performance.
MM Gold/Lifetime member