Where do you buy your music?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

lrankine

Where do you buy your music?

Post by lrankine »

Just wondering where other MM users buy most of their music from. I continue to use iTunes almost exclusively to purchase my music along with Amazon on those few occasions that iTunes doesn't have what I'm looking for. What does everyone else use?
nohitter151

Re: Where do you buy your music?

Post by nohitter151 »

Amazon and direct from the artist when possible.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mmfan

Post by mmfan »

I've got a Zune account so I rarely buy music anymore, but you do get to keep 10 songs every month. Other than that I check once in awhile since they have a great selection.
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 |
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

i buy cd's, not because the artist makes any more money from it, but because i like the feeling of finding one i have wanted for a long time.ripping it and scanning the pages for the artwork.it's a good day when i add another to my collection!!!!!!!!!!!!ain't nothing like the real thing.............. :D :D :D
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I do like malachisecretspy because I like the CD feeling too.
Occasionally buy Downloads and burn them to CD's with sleeve printing.

:~)
Last edited by Eyal on Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The added benefit is that if the online store goes belly up (in case of DRMed files) or if you loose a hard drive that CD's instead are a physical backup of your music.
goberre

Post by goberre »

Being an audiophile sound quality is paramount. I am not a great fan of lossy codecs like mp3 (256kbps), or copy protection like DRM, so do not download music much. I buy secondhand CDs from ebay or Amazon for on average £4.00 each and rip to FLAC lossless codec (1411kbps), then sell them again. I would like to buy high resolution 24bit 192Khz FLAC files (9216kbps) from HDtracks.com but cannot due to their rediculous policy "HDtracks only serves people residing in the United States". I think being Americans they struggle with geography!
"Reality is something that belongs to you as an individual" (Frank Zappa)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's most likely a licensing issue. When you sell tracks you need to negotiate a license in each country with the music studios/rights organizations. Either the hassle or cost prevents many music stores to operate globally.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

I buy CDs; generally from Amazon or the artists.
Can't afford a signature.
Sizzly

Post by Sizzly »

I spend most of my music budget at http://emusic.com. They've got a slick collection of indie rock tracks that makes me happy.

A couple of the indie retailers I used to use have stopped selling digital tracks and that makes me sad.

(I get a LOT of free tracks by contacting bands on websites and exchange air time on my show for free music! That's my favorite way.)
Rob
DJ Sizzly
http://djsizzly.com
mcow

Post by mcow »

I usually buy CDs from the label or artist or from Amazon, sometimes even from retail stores (used or new). In the past year I started buying MP3s from Amazon for music where the best fidelity wasn't so important to me. I did once buy the MP3s and decided I liked the album so much, I bought the CD too.
davidkk

Post by davidkk »

Recently, its been dmcdownloads, but Amazon, 7Digital, and occasionally iTunes (but this requires a reboot into Windows for iTunes)
I'm UK Based, so will have some different options, but I know 7Digital is also in the US now..
al_kempter

Post by al_kempter »

I still want my music on CDs which I then rip to the PC (and can rip again in case the PC dies).

During the last years I bought the CDs in online stores like Amazon, as I can listen to parts of the CDs before buying them. Record stores are usually a pain as it is often difficult to find the CDs (if they have them in stock) and you often have to queue up for listening to the CDs.
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

For a long time I purchased my music on CD and then ripped the tracks that I wanted to listen to. This is mainly because of the issue of DRM with the on-line music stores, I simply avoided on-line music with DRM whenever possible.

Since the DRM has been dropped at the on-line stores, I've taken to purchasing my music on-line through Amazon.com. My first preference is still for CD, but on-line is a good option for me when the CD is not available.
jqueeng02

Post by jqueeng02 »

I buy original cds or purchase it in itunes..I say no to piracy!!