Where do you buy your music?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

r0k

Re: Where do you buy your music?

Post by r0k »

Topics a bit old but well, OK.
I try to buy my digital downloads as FLACs so choices are limited : Qobuz, Bandcamp, HDtracks or Musicishere.
I also have an e-music subscription and i buy there albums i can't find as flacs.

I say no to piracy and Apples' audio formats :lol:
flintop12

Post by flintop12 »

I do like malachisecretspy because I like the CD feeling too.
sometime I buy music in internet in many website are available which is sales music but mostly I purchase cd because in cd most off songs are available which is is like to me.
but, sometime I can't find proper artist then I am using some website which help for me.
svburke

Post by svburke »

I buy CD's and SACD's from Amazon primarily, and also from my local FYE, which has a very nice classical section, well stocked by a smart guy.

But I am starting to prefer downloads, partly to save space, because almost all the time I prefer to play my music through MM > USB DAC > receiver. Easier to get to, less hassle.

I get some downloads from emusic.com; that's where I get the occasional pop/rock album that intrigues me. But I prefer lossless. Generally one can get classical lossless downloads from the labels. My two favorite sites are the Hyperion site (www.hyperion-records.uk) and The Classical Shop, which stocks Chandos, BIS, and a long list of other labels. All very interesting stuff, much more interesting consistently than what's available from the majors.
Jim Bob

Post by Jim Bob »

I buy both and download physical CD's and music purchased on Amazon, yet MediaMonkey refuses to recognize them as recordable and/or playable, so that I cannot make a CD for my car, another location. I'm giving up on them, have to find another usable music management program, any suggestions? Jim Bob
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How does MediaMonkey fail with Amazon Music (I'm unsure if Amazon applies DRM preventing burning)?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Jim Bob wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm I buy both and download physical CD's and music purchased on Amazon, yet MediaMonkey refuses to recognize them as recordable and/or playable, so that I cannot make a CD for my car, another location. I'm giving up on them, have to find another usable music management program, any suggestions? Jim Bob
I also download from amazon and have no problems
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What format is downloaded, I know taht Audible files are not readable in any app except paid licensed apps or Audible itself.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Triveir63

Post by Triveir63 »

Only amazon :D
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

format from amazon is variable mp3
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I really do not see any issues why MM should not show them. Only issue I can see that MM do not have permission to access them.

We are way off topic here. Can you open New topic and we can better resolve there or contact me with PM to get this sorted out.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Murdie

Post by Murdie »

Hi all

actually I have a cross checking strategy to getting hi-res tracks.

way back in yonder 2005 I ripped my cds to itunes back then at 128k because players had tiny storage. then when i abonded itunes when they introduced match (years ago) I migrated to MMw.

It wasnt till 2014 when i heard my first hi-res track via a sony z3 mobile phone (one of the first phones to support hi-res). that I decided to try and acquire 24 bit hi-res recordings. so since i wasnt made of money I used the ratings within MMw to priotise albums. I created playlists of bitrate quality (<196kbps) then rating of tracks. I would use this to search for my favorite albums for 24 bit hi-res ones. if not re rip the cd and replace these files All within MMw of course at lossless Flac)

As a general note IMHO Its not worth rebuying albums in hi-res at 24 bit 44hz at resolutions 256 320 or lossless rip. However I would always try and buy the albums at 24 bit 96 or 196hz from these as i think you can hear a diffrence (256k especially) If you have files 196 and less by all means and dont have cd or have m4p files then buy 24 bit 44hz if you cant get higher or rerip the cd if you have it for the reason above.

That in turn lead me to an intresting discovery whilst searching for hi-res tracks.
1) certain stores by geographically location would offer hi-res diffrent from other hi-res stores. If my memory serves tourist remaster by St germain at the time from hd tracks was 24 bit 44hz but from quobuz (at the time europe store was offering the album at it wasnt availble in usa at time so i waited) 24 bit 96hz. these geograpgicly check your location and tell you you couldnt download from your payment info and billing adress.

2) Its sometimes worth going to the artist webpage, I think it was bjork who only had 24 bit availble via a link from her site it wasnt availble via any hi-res store at that time. this would ship you off to the record label.

3) I was liking a good few artist from ninja tune record label So I I noticed I could get 24 bit wavs direct from them. so check the record label

4) smaller independents who dont give a crap about geographical or exclusive tie ups e.g only available from prostudiomasters. sites for me are Bleep from the uk
I pay them in dollars they let me download they dont care where i am from.

A note about quobuz this might have changed but if you buy Hi-res from them and use the website download now they stream at 24 bit 44hz and thats the copy you got there was a disclaimer saying that to get above 44hz you needed to use there downloader software .exe to get 96hz or higher.

I never visit itunes or amazon as for the longest time they didnt offer anything beyond 256k.
So this is more about where i source 24 bit if availble and sorry for that! But who ever has the highest quality gets my money. don't assume they all have they same because they don't always. Alot do but the st germain is still diffrent even today. Oh and for late night tales albums buy from them directly.