Mediamonkey 5?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Stigg

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

Post by Stigg »

Ankhman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am Any word on the release of MediaMonkey 5, MM people? I'm feeling pain for having recently bought a Gold license and then reading this thread. What's happening?
It's been available in Beta for a while now. Getting closer.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Ankhman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am Any word on the release of MediaMonkey 5, MM people? I'm feeling pain for having recently bought a Gold license and then reading this thread. What's happening?
Why do you feel pain? Anyway Beta is available and working quite well. there are a few bugs but nothing found that I know of that says there is any data corruption. You could install a portable version and continue to update your original as needed. That is what i have done and find that I spend almost all of my time in MM5.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

dtsig wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 am
Why do you feel pain? Anyway Beta is available and working quite well. there are a few bugs but nothing found that I know of that says there is any data corruption. You could install a portable version and continue to update your original as needed. That is what i have done and find that I spend almost all of my time in MM5.
I can't wait until the addons and skins start flowing. :)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I think that is a ways off
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

dtsig wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 am I think that is a ways off
Judging from when the thread was started I'd say that's a safe assumption.

Just a thought for the makers of MediaMonkey:

When you advertise a lifetime license you kind'a should expect that users assume that you're going to release more than 1 version per decade, roughly. And I do mean that literally. It's not that $25 is a lot of money, it's more the feeling some people get when they can either spend X dollars, or twice that amount for lifetime upgrades, yet those upgrades don't happen for a decade. It's like an easy extra chunk of money from those who choose that option.

it just looks bad to some people.

But whatever.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
lifetime license = no expire date You will be able to download and install license you have paid for, with some added benefits like MM5 GOLD, which is working for any GOLD user from MM 2-4 and it will be working till MM5 gets stable enough to gets its own license, which means that MM GOLD license you bought 2002 will register MM5 GOLD Beta. After that most users will get discounts on License upgrade (all past major versions had that option), we find it fair to user.

Note: Over the years many many users asked me if they can buy full license without discount or buy another as a gift to someone, even they got discount coupon. Just to say THX for making and developing MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

Apparently I'm missing something.

I don't know of a single software where a license you buy doesn't last a lifetime for that version. All other softwares I know of that have a lifetime license basically mean that any future versions will be automatically included into that license, or to say it a different way; any lifetime license will run any version.

If you're now saying that a lifetime license means that you only get a BETA version of the next release then I honestly don't see what the extra money is for. It literally says:

"Lifetime License
Entitles you to all future upgrades. "

MM5 non-beta is a future upgrade. Therefore any lifetime license owner should be entitled to it.

The bigger point still stands: When? Anyone who bought MM4 lifetime or lower might think it looks bad that it's taking soooo long for you to release the next version which they in effect paid in advance for.

Again, stated differently:

Why - in your opinion - should anyone buy a lifetime license?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A Lifetime License will give you MediaMonkey 5, 6, etc. for free. A current 4.x License will work with the betas of MediaMonkey 5 (which expire after a period), but won't work with MediaMonkey 5 once released.
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

Ok, but so why should anyone buy a lifetime license? If it takes you like a decade to release a new version, why would I want to pay you double to wait that long?.. To save $25?

I mean it sounds good to get all these future versions, but it sort of raises my eyebrow when you say I can get version 6 when it comes out and it's 2019 and you haven't put out version 5 yet. Like, seriously? I've never seen any other company take money a decade in advance like this and not gotten a lot of flack for it.

I'm just perplexed as to just how you guys owning MM seem so lax about it. As if there is zero negative perception and if there is it doesn't matter. I get it, nothing was guaranteed.. but.. it's 2019!..
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I personally don't care about version numbers, other software I purchased Lifetime Licenses for I wouldn't even know which version I bought it on and which they're on now. When I purchase a Lifetime License I expect a product to be supported and receive continuous updates. This is the case for MediaMonkey so I'm satisfied. MediaMonkey makes no promises on release cycle of major releases, it's up to individual users to decide what best suits their needs.
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

It's not about what you call a version, it's about what's supported and what you're reasonably expecting.

If I promoted a software to you and said: "Hey, you can pay $25 now and get support for this version, or you can pay $50 and get support for this version and then in about 10 years I'll let you upgrade to the next one for free!" what you would you think about that? Would you feel comfortable paying double the amount for maybe getting a new version a decade later? How about if you expected to get the new version within a year or two? Makes a difference for most people I bet.

Everybody understands and agrees with the concept of a lifetime license that includes all future upgrades. That's not the point. And the point is also not how you number a version. The point is whether or not there's a good faith effort to provide the future FULLY SUPPORTED version (without Beta-caveats) within a reasonable amount of time. Close to a decade isn't reasonable for anybody but a diehard fan.

As for "promises", I'm betting if I go through some threads here I'm going to see 'coming soon' more than once.. do you think I will?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As many companies don't survive a decade, they either fold or get bought out and discontinued by the big guys, I'm happy that anything I purchase lasts that long. Especially when dealing with really small companies like Ventis Media.

Of course the forum is littered with coming in the future promises and impatient users about when that future will come. This is the same for all software I use, no matter if they frequently release major releases or take 20 years to get to the 1.0 release, or if it's a 1 person business or a global enterprise.

MediaMonkey continues to be supported, issues keep being fixed (only few have been delayed to 5.0 due to limitations of 4.0 or complexity of fix), new final releases come out with regularity. When it comes to new features you'll still have plenty of disappointed users with MediaMonkey 5 that their feature wasn't included.

And yes, of course different users have different expectations about a release schedule. You've got the option to purchase either a version of Lifetime License.
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

As a long-time lifetime user of MMW, I don't understand the user's complaint. As Lowlander stated, MMW is regularly updated. So it doesn't bother me that the major version called MMW 5 will come a decade after MMW 4 first came out. Improvements and of course bug fixes are added to MMW 4 regularly, and I don't have any grounds for complaint, contrary to the unhappy user's assumption.

Very good product, and well supported.

Thanks,
Dennis
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I agree .. i bought a lifetime mainly as support for the MM crew. MM4 has been updated for as long as I have had it and when 5 comes out it will be a break having bought the lifetime license.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
mattiasNYC

Post by mattiasNYC »

Lowlander wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pmOf course the forum is littered with coming in the future promises and impatient users about when that future will come. This is the same for all software I use, no matter if they frequently release major releases or take 20 years to get to the 1.0 release, or if it's a 1 person business or a global enterprise.
The difference being that the companies that I support and have invested in by buying their products don't take close to a decade to release their new version, and once they announce a new version they don't take even over a year to get that out. I suppose we have different expectations on what is reasonable here.