What showstopers are preventing MM5 from release?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

TidalWave

What showstopers are preventing MM5 from release?

Post by TidalWave »

This is not intended to be a hate post so please do not take it as such.

I am curious what work is left to be done on MediaMonkey 5 before it can be released. Each week it seems there is a new build with 15-25 fixes. This has been going on for close to 3 years (12/20/16 - present). I looked at the development of MediaMonkey 4 and it entered beta on 12/24/2010 and was officially released on 11/15/2011 after many rounds of beta builds and 5 release candidates.

MM5 has yet to have a release candidate so I am wondering what are the major showstoppers that are preventing this release? If all critical functionality is working and complete, isn't it time to release? Non critical bugs can be fixed in subsequent maintenance releases.

I ask because I am a long time MediaMonkey user with a very large collection of audio files. I am anxiously awaiting moving to MM5 but do not want to risk corrupting the database that I spent so long creating in MM4.

I have attempted to search Mantis for open issues and filtered them by block and crash for 5.0 that are unresolved. There are no unresolved issues with the severity of Block and only a few Crash remain.
Peke

Re: What showstopers are preventing MM5 from release?

Post by Peke »

TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm This is not intended to be a hate post so please do not take it as such.
Understood.
TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm I am curious what work is left to be done on MediaMonkey 5 before it can be released. Each week it seems there is a new build with 15-25 fixes. This has been going on for close to 3 years (12/20/16 - present). I looked at the development of MediaMonkey 4 and it entered beta on 12/24/2010 and was officially released on 11/15/2011 after many rounds of beta builds and 5 release candidates.
Answer is simple MM4 was major upgrade from MMW3 in terms of handling and synchronization and still >80% of code was pre-existing and developed over 8+ years, but MM5 is complete rewrite of MediaMonkey from 0 Bytes and only 20-30% parts of code were ported (not copied) so if that was taken into years then MM5 would take 5 times longer to release than MM4 against MM3.
TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm MM5 has yet to have a release candidate so I am wondering what are the major showstoppers that are preventing this release? If all critical functionality is working and complete, isn't it time to release? Non critical bugs can be fixed in subsequent maintenance releases.
Answer is again simple. A quality base line we set is not yet archived (Usually I am one to blame). Problem is not major bugs, but as expected after RC gets released, there should be no non explainable crashes just out of sudden.
TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm I ask because I am a long time MediaMonkey user with a very large collection of audio files. I am anxiously awaiting moving to MM5 but do not want to risk corrupting the database that I spent so long creating in MM4.
You gave yourself an answer your question. I am thinking the same, as my library is statistical memory lane collection of past 14+ years 120k+ tracks, 7k+ Playlists,... so I really would not like to screw that for myself either. That said, as respect to our users and us we do not want to be blamed or to regret something just because we are also exited and anxious eg. better take baby steps and be ready to fall on ass than start running and fell on the face.
TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm I have attempted to search Mantis for open issues and filtered them by block and crash for 5.0 that are unresolved. There are no unresolved issues with the severity of Block and only a few Crash remain.
Unfortunately I see lots more than you.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TidalWave

Post by TidalWave »

Thanks for the reply. Is the quality baseline available for the public to follow in Mantis? Or is it simply "no crashes?"

My interpretation of your response is that there are times when MM5 will crash for an unknown or non-reproducible reason and until you resolve this, it will not be ready. I guess this is not all that uncommon. Gmail was in beta from 4/1/2004 - 7/7/2009.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I anxiously await the day when I can upgrade.
Peke

Post by Peke »

TidalWave wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm Thanks for the reply. Is the quality baseline available for the public to follow in Mantis? Or is it simply "no crashes?"

My interpretation of your response is that there are times when MM5 will crash for an unknown or non-reproducible reason and until you resolve this, it will not be ready. I guess this is not all that uncommon. Gmail was in beta from 4/1/2004 - 7/7/2009.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I anxiously await the day when I can upgrade.
Something like that, there is internal QA test list we compiled over the years, for now it do not pass, but we are getting much closer and things are progressing much faster.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Keep up the great work Pavle
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
PreshawPete

Post by PreshawPete »

May I inquire about current status of MM V5? I was trying a version and then it disappeared???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What do you mean with it disappeared. MM5 is in the late beta stage.
drded

Post by drded »

1. Ripping speed is slow, slow, slow versus V4.
2. It takes more steps to rip CD than it used to.
3. No matter what search engine I choose MM5 doesn't seem to find the CD.
4. Without the auto-tagging, MM really looses its status as a most valued tool.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Speeds seems fine here, perhaps settings are different.
2) Seems the same here, please explain.
3) 2259 when released improves on this.
4) With Freedb gone, MM5 actually became my default Ripper.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the reply. Is the quality baseline available for the public to follow in Mantis? Or is it simply "no crashes?"
The baseline is that all bugs prioritized as Urgent or Immediate are fixed, and that all fixes have been verified. ATM, there are 44 remaining such issues, but prioritization is a dynamic and we may decide to push some of those issues to e.g. 5.0.1.

-Rusty