Migrating from phpbb to Discourse

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Seanny123

Migrating from phpbb to Discourse

Post by Seanny123 »

I love MediaMonkey. I'm less happy about using a phpBB forum to submit feedback and bugs.

Specifically, I miss Discourse and it's ability to:
- Easily upload images with drag and drop
- Have post templates for bug reporting
- Automatically suggest related posts while typing a post
- Edit posts using markdown instead of BBCode
- Modern emoji support

I think these features would improve the quality of the bugs reported during the MediaMonkey 5 beta testing.

It is possible to migrate a phpBB forum to Discourse using an import script, if this version of phpBB is less than 3.2.

I'm assuming this phpBB instance is self-hosted. Discourse can also be self-hosted for free.

I have experience administrating various Discourse instances [1] if you are interested in undertaking this task and desire help. However, I'm not a good enough Ruby programmer to update the migration script if your phpBB version is 3.2 or higher.

All this being said, I also understand if your company has other priorities and does not wish to invest in this aspect of community support at this time.

[1] Specifically, I helped setup and administer the EndCoronavirus.org and nengo.ai Discourse instances.
Seanny123

Re: Migrating from phpbb to Discourse

Post by Seanny123 »

FYI, this offer/suggestion is still open. Might be a good way to mark/celebrate the release of Media Monkey 5 for Windows?
TheBestPessimist

Post by TheBestPessimist »

I also support migration to Discourse, instead of using phpBB!

----

What is this message about, regarding my previous post on the same topic: https://i.imgur.com/iW7wk80.png
Also: how can i upload an image if linking to one on imgur does not work?
See, this is why i believe Discourse is a much more user friendly forum software.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Sorry for not replying earlier. I agree that Discourse is a more modern and offers some cool features. Also, I suppose that the transition wouldn't be too complex. The main issue is that we currently use phpBB logins thorough the site (wiki, addons, support). This seems to be possible to solve, however definitely not a trivial task, rather something that'd require quite some planning and testing.

Anyway, definitely something to think about, this might be a way for future improvement of the whole website, but only after 5.0 release.

Thanks!
Jiri