Advise on MM setup for use with old school stereo receiver

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

progrockguy

Advise on MM setup for use with old school stereo receiver

Post by progrockguy »

I am a technically savvy person, but not familiar with this kind of technology.
I need some help\advice.
I have read a lot about MM and it sounds like exactly what i need.
I am looking for this: A music media management software that i can invoke from a phone or tablet that will play my music (mp3s, flac, etc..) on my (old) home stereo.
Sounds simple, but from what i've read, i can be tricky to get all the pieces working.
Background:
- My home stereo receiver is from 2010 and does not have this DLNA stuff.
- I have a large collection of CDs that i need to digitize. So, digital music playback is what i need.
- I have a lot of music already on a external hard drive.
- I have wifi network and the ability to hook up "devices" wired directly to the wifi, if needed.

Questions
- How would MM fit into this scenario? It is software, so where does it get installed?
- Do i need a PC to host running MM?
- How could MM be "invoked" to play a song from my phone or tablet?
- How does the playback of the song get to my stereo.

Thanks for any and all feedback. I am hoping for a simple and clear solution.
Lowlander

Re: Advise on MM setup for use with old school stereo receiver

Post by Lowlander »

1 & 4) MediaMonkey can stream to DLNA/Chromecast devices as well over Bluetooth. Of course you can also hook up with a cable 3.5" to aux. https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0
2) MediaMonkey can Rip CD's to a variety of formats: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... om_CDs/5.0
3) Check out MMMote (Third Party) or use a DLNA capable App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ediamonkey
progrockguy

Post by progrockguy »

Can you explain a little more clearly?
I am not getting the "big picture" of what is needed and how things are connected.
IE. install this on server, download app ABC to phone\tablet, connect device DEF to stereo's hdmi input.. etc....

Lots of people want to tell you all the "tools" available, but i have not seen anyone post instructions on how to use the tools...and why\what the tools are used for.
Last edited by progrockguy on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's because there are many methods available.

You could:
1) Upgrade the stereo to a DLNA, Chromecast and/or Bluetooth capable one. This will allow you to stream directly from MediaMonkey 5, no additional tools needed.
2) Add a Bluetooth capable receiver that connects to the AUX
3) Add a DLNA and/or Chromecast capable receiver that connects to AUX (Chromecast Audio was great (discontinued))
4) Use a smart speaker
5) Connect a laptop to the stereo
6) Connect a phone/tablet to the stereo
progrockguy

Post by progrockguy »

Where does MM get installed?
I would not want to run the full product from a phone app.
If it can access my mp3s on my network hard drive, where is the main software installed? A PC that is always running?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 is for Windows: https://www.mediamonkey.com/windows

MediaMonkey 5 Help: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ontent/5.0

There is also MediaMonkey for Android: https://www.mediamonkey.com/about_android
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

progrockguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 am Questions
- How would MM fit into this scenario? It is software, so where does it get installed?
- Do i need a PC to host running MM?
- How could MM be "invoked" to play a song from my phone or tablet?
- How does the playback of the song get to my stereo
You will need a Windows PC to run MediaMonkey. (Some guys managed to install it on Linux, search the forum for it), that PC hostes the Database and the Files itself.

That PC could connect via Audio Out to your stereo, it could rip your CDs into your MediaMonkey. So its basically the "main device".

Mobiles get the music through sync from MediaMonkey, either via USB or WiFi.

You could play music directly from PC to your stereo, or from mobile to any Bluetooth speaker.

Does this help?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

progrockguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:57 pm A PC that is always running?
Not always running. Only when you use aus player, or when you sync to/from Android devices.

So, some kind of "sleep mode" should work fine.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView