How to install script on very old Media Monkey?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

pokeefe0001

How to install script on very old Media Monkey?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I need to bring an old (MMv2) installation up to at least MMv4. I've read that the database conversion has to be done on MMv3 so I think I need to do the following steps:
1. Install MMV2 and confirm it works.
2. Install MMV3 and do the conversion.
3. Probably repeat for MMV4.

I've installed MMv2 and copied the media library and database, but now I'm stuck. I need to install and run UpdateLocationOfFiles. I understand that for MMV2 I have to rename the downloaded script from .mmip to .zip, unzip it, and install it. But there I'm stuck. I'm not sure what "install it" means. There's an "install.vbs" script but I think it must have to run from within MM.

I tried just putting UpdateLocationOfFiles.vbs in the MM script directory and guessed at stuff to put in the Scripts.ini file but obviously guessed wrong. The script appears in the list of available scripts but it fails in execution:
Error #13 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Type mismatch: 'UpdateLocationOfFiles'
File: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Scripts\UpdateLocationOfFiles.vbs", Line 1, Column 0
(Somewhere I saw that this information is supposed to be supplied with the script, but I haven't found it.)

I had guessed ScriptType=0. When I tried =1 the script name disappeared from the list of scripts so I guess that wasn't the solution.

What should I try next?
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Lowlander

Re: How to install script on very old Media Monkey?

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure that Addon works for MediaMonkey 2. If you want to run it I'd do that on the last MediaMonkey 4 release, or use the MediaMonkey 5 method (if you need to change driveID): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
pokeefe0001

Re: How to install script on very old Media Monkey?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:33 am I'm not sure that Addon works for MediaMonkey 2. If you want to run it I'd do that on the last MediaMonkey 4 release, or use the MediaMonkey 5 method (if you need to change driveID): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
I think that may not be correct. The script gives (somewhat incomplete) MM 2.x installation information:

' Installation:
' - For MediaMonley 3.0 or higher, double click on MMIP file.
' - For MediaMonkey 2.x, unpack VBS file to MediaMonkey's "Scripts" folder
' and modify Scripts.ini according to the data from the Install subroutine.

In any case, I need to get the script running MM 3.0 at the latest since I believe that's where the MM 2.x database conversion routine lives. If there is a stand-alone version of the database conversion routine I'd be willing to use that, but I suspect it has not been around for over 10 years.

I guess at this point I could try installing MMv3 and see if I can get that to work.

BTW, the reason I'm going through this: the previous person supporting our music library had a system of database maintenance routines - used outside of Media Monkey - to maintain and synchronize multiple Media Monkey databases. They worked only with the old format database so he stayed on MMv2. Now I'm trying to update that environment and don't want to lose all the data in the database.

Well, trying MM 3.2 was a failure. It hung at the splash screen. I'm back to needing the script (or something else that changes the path info in the database) to run.

Update:
I was able to install the script in a MM 4 installation, so I copied the script's portion of the Scripts.ini file to to my MM 2 installation. It ran on MM 2 with few problems. I now have a usable database that I can try to upgrade.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds