How search and add lyrics that are not found by MM?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Dancer

How search and add lyrics that are not found by MM?

Post by Dancer »

What is the best way to search and add lyrics and integrate them into the library?
I found `Lyricator`, but the addon is only compatible with 4.x.
MMW 5.0.4.2690 beta Gold on WIN 10-64Bit Vers. 22H2
MMA 2.0.0.1080 Pro on Android 12
Vivaldi browser
IanRTaylorUK

Re: How search and add lyrics that are not found by MM?

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Dancer,

If you install MMW4 then use Lyricator AND you either share (or clone) the MP3 files with MMW5 then you will add lyrics not found by MMW5.

This approach can be assisted by creating a MMW4 Collection I call "No Lyrics" with the criteria:
Lyrics is unknown
Type equals Music
Album Artist doesn't equal Various
Artist doesn't equal Various

Using the "No Lyrics" Collection, select all and then right-click to run Lyricator with All Configured Sites. When complete, click Save then close MMW4.

Open MMW5 and after Add/Rescan the library, the lyrics will show.

If you have the same collection in MMW5 as in MMW4 then they will agree about the number of tracks missing lyrics.
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Tag in MediaMonkey 5 can do the Lyrics lookup for selected files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm Auto-Tag in MediaMonkey 5 can do the Lyrics lookup for selected files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0
Hi Lowlander,

This is true, but my understanding is that with MMW5 you have 5 of the 6 lyric sources providing information. Whereas the Lyricator addon for MMW4 has 10 sources of which 8 have provided useful lyrics.

Also, in the case of MMW4 the "export to M3U" is a little more mature / functional than is currently the case in MMW5. So this allows easy creation of a Playlist of "No Lyrics" tracks for another resource to parse and (try) to find and add Lyrics.

My library is ~35,000 music tracks and I am now down to a few thousand with No Lyrics that are not an obvious compilation album, not been played for 90 days and are not a low bit rate. My estimate is that 60-70% of the Lyrics were added using MMW4 and Lyricator helped push this up by another 20%.

I have run MMW5 but perhaps not surprisingly (as the sources overlap with Lyricator / MMW4) if has not added too many lyrics. I guess a newer user / library will have a different perspective on this.

It would be great to see a MMW5 addon to extend the lyric searching capabilities.
Ian Taylor
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 am It would be great to see a MMW5 addon to extend the lyric searching capabilities.
There are already some:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=100024
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am
IanRTaylorUK wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 am It would be great to see a MMW5 addon to extend the lyric searching capabilities.
There are already some:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=100024
Thanks Ludek,

I have tried this one. Great to have Genius added to the list.

This seems fine if you are searching for one track at a time, or if you want to multi-select and "Play Now". But I am not certain there is a way to select a block and start a lyrics search for 10s, 100s or 1000s of tracks. Lyricator in MMW4 allows for this.

The key point is that Lyricator takes a few seconds per track to check ~10 sources in MMW4. To achieve the same thing in MMW5 "hands free", the only way I can see is to multi-Select and Play Now. This means it takes several minutes to play each track and thus takes a lot longer.

Not certain whether this needs an Add-On or another right-click menu option!
Ian Taylor
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

As LowLander already wrote above the Auto-tag can be used to batch find and update 100 files at once: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0

though 'Lyrics' needs to be added to the list of fields in Options > Metadata Lookup > Auto-tagging
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 am As LowLander already wrote above the Auto-tag can be used to batch find and update 100 files at once: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0

though 'Lyrics' needs to be added to the list of fields in Options > Metadata Lookup > Auto-tagging
Thanks Ludek,

100 files limit in MMW5 (and that Lyricator appears to be faster per track) means that there is still a good reason to use MMW4 + Lyricator. Could the 100 file limit be increased to 1000? Or perhaps it could default to 100 with user over-ride in Tools / Options?
Ian Taylor
leeuniverse

Post by leeuniverse »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:47 am
Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 am As LowLander already wrote above the Auto-tag can be used to batch find and update 100 files at once: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0

Thanks Ludek,

100 files limit in MMW5 (and that Lyricator appears to be faster per track) means that there is still a good reason to use MMW4 + Lyricator. Could the 100 file limit be increased to 1000? Or perhaps it could default to 100 with user over-ride in Tools / Options?
The 100 file limit simply means it "batch processes" that many files at the same time.
It does that, and then it moves to the NEXT 100 files to process... So, you're actually processing all the files you selected, it's just listing a 100 in the batch window or whatever.

At least, this seems to be how it worked when I tried it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please note that these limits are put there to prevent/ensure (mostly) your IP do not get black listed from services you are pulling tag data.

It is not problem when you query 100 tracks it posses problem when 1000 users query for 100 tracks at same time. You know that you are using somebody bandwidth and service they paid for, completely for free without ads, nags, ....

I would love to start MM5 and batch query 100k of my not fully tagged files for missing information for free as quickly as posssible, but if that means you or anyone else gets banned/black listed for query 10 tracks then personally I would rather have fluid 100 tracks at time ALWAYS.

There are always workarounds, but will that be fair for all?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Peke wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:19 pm Hi,
Please note that these limits are put there to prevent/ensure (mostly) your IP do not get black listed from services you are pulling tag data.
Hi Peke, thanks for the information.

How would we / user know if their IP address gets black listed? Is there something to look out for in the DeBugView?

Can the service provider distinguish between MMW4 and MMW5 or whether an add-on like Lyricator is used?

My approach is to use a Collection to provide a list of tracks in my library that:
1). Have no lyrics
2). Not too short or too long
3). Are reasonable quality
4). Not "Various Artists"
5). Last Played over 3 months ago (i.e. as I would have checked for lyrics previously)

The list is currently down to ~750 based on MMW4 / Lyricator - so I just set this "playing" and searching for lyrics when the PC is on but I am not at the screen. I normally do this once a month or so.

My impression is that both MMW4 and MMW5 search for Lyrics whenever a track starts playing. I think I have also seen that the same track will be "re-searched" for Lyrics if you start playing again. Is there any "flag" to stop this repetition of searching?

I recently downloaded 8 ~2021albums with just over 100 tracks and added them independently to my MMW4 library and MMW5 library. I then compared how well MMW4 and MMW5 found the lyrics using their separate copies of the files. MMW5 was around 50% and MMW4 over 80%. So there is quite a benefit from my viewpoint to using MMW4 and then "copying" the files with lyrics to the "clone" of my library that MMW5 uses.

Also, with a higher success rate MMW4 + Lyricator presumably results in less overhead "re-searching" for the resources providing a lyrics service.

Perhaps there is some optimisation that can help reduce the chance of IP addresses being blacklisted.

Happy to do some more testing and provide log / files etc.
Ian Taylor