Songs aren't tagged with the appropriate separator [#18357]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

superluig164

Songs aren't tagged with the appropriate separator [#18357]

Post by superluig164 »

In my library, I use "/" as a separator for artists and genres and other fields. Previously, when I set this in the settings, Mediamonkey would also tag files with that separator when tagging them directly from the list. Now, it uses "; " despite me having the setting set correctly and typing "/" when entering the tags. What gives?
Lowlander

Re: Songs aren't tagged with the appropriate separator

Post by Lowlander »

The separator set in MediaMonkey is only used within MediaMonkey for display. In the files tags the separator defined by the tagging standard is used.
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 am The separator set in MediaMonkey is only used within MediaMonkey for display. In the files tags the separator defined by the tagging standard is used.
Well, this was not the case previously, and I would like to use "/" as my separator everywhere as I have been all this time. Is it not possible to include this as an option? Even if the previous behaviour was not intended, it was expected. Other programs I use to edit tags respect my choice of a separator.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I doubt so, as it breaks compatibility with the tagging standard. MediaMonkey 4 should've tagged the same as MediaMonkey 5 in this regard.
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 pm I doubt so, as it breaks compatibility with the tagging standard. MediaMonkey 4 should've tagged the same as MediaMonkey 5 in this regard.
Well, it didn't. Frankly, I know I'm not the only one who doesn't use "; " as a separator. Maybe it "breaks compatibility" with the tagging standard, but have you considered that it may also break compatibility with your users? Like jeez, way to blow me off. Options make everyone happy.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Every format is different and has different way of storing multiple values of the same kind. E.g. ID3v2.4 in MP3 stores multiple values always as values separated by zero byte. And it is not possible to use different separator, as it would be against standard and other software would have problems with correct parsing of the data, we would create non-valid files. Also storing user defined separator to file and then changing user defined separator would cause, that previously written data would not be read correctly as separate values...
Could you be more specific, what exactly are you storing to what file format?
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

I'm using MP3 files. My music player on my phone (Poweramp) has the ability to change the separator (both for tagging and for sorting). MP3Tag, the app I use to do mass tagging, also allows using whatever separator you like. Mediamonkey, up until now, fit fine into the workflow. If you wanna have it set this way by default or hide the option under some hidden menus then that's fine by me, but I would like the option the change it. Again, I know I'm not the only one, otherwise Poweramp and MP3Tag wouldn't allow for anything other than "; " or "\\" or whatever you define as the "proper" separator.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Thanks, I see, it is serious regression, inserted as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18357

The multiple values should be saved to the file as I said, without separator, separator is used only for display (including mentioned apps). But we have bug, that it is saved to MP3 as one value with semicolons. Will be fixed soon, thanks for noticing.
superluig164

Re: Songs aren't tagged with the appropriate separator [#18357]

Post by superluig164 »

Thanks so much. Glad to finally be listened to!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Genres in MP3 are problematic, because format ID3v2.3 does not officially allow storing multiple user defined strings. So it is quite mess, as each application stores it differently (e.g. MP3Tag uses zero byte as separator there, but this separator is defined in v2.4 and in v2.3 should not be used at all). I will fix it for ID3v2.4 (default), but leave it as it is for older ID3v2.3 (there is no right option and I could not ruin it for those who used it before)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I've done some testing and can confirm that Michal implementation works very well in 2512+

So if your settings are set to ID3v2.3 I would suggest that you switch to ID3v2.4 for better compatibility.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts