[REQ] GoogleCast info [#16780]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Platonius

[REQ] GoogleCast info [#16780]

Post by Platonius »

Hi,

Google Home shows MM5 as "Default Media Receiver". It also shows the title (and sometimes artist + title would be easier).

Any way this can be changed? Anything I can help with? Or is this internal to MM5?

Found this link that (for the name part at least) states you must create a registration as "Styled Media Receiver"
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/510 ... a-receiver
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] GoogleCast info

Post by Lowlander »

Platonius

Re: [REQ] GoogleCast info [#16780]

Post by Platonius »

MM5 does not use any framework and uses directly the "Default Media Receiver" app on the Chromecast.
This would mean that changing it to "Styled Media Receiver" should work. Which seems to be a change from Google from around the same time (halfway through 2020)

Forgot to ask another thing: the possibility to use the next and previous buttons (and with that the Google Assistant).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This should be fixed in next MM5 build (5.0.2.2523+) Please retest and let us know if it also works for you.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

Awesome guys!
Last edited by Platonius on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

As far as Prev and Next buttons: Prev goes to start of the current track, but the buttons can't be used to go to the previous or next track.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is most likely because it assumes Now Playing is containing single track. From what you wrote PREV works as it should.

Pleas edo more tests with bunch of tracks in Now Playing and see/compare results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Post by rusty »

Platonius,

Can you clarify the exact situation in which Previous/Next isn't working for you?

Thanks!

-Rusty
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

I basically have a playlist in 'now playing'. So currently 361/34526. On my iPhone I open Google Home. Currently playing on a single device, so click on the device. Shows what it's playing 'via MediaMonkey'.

If I now press pause/play, that works. Single click on the back icon goes back to the start if the track. If I press the back button multiple times, it goes to the start of the current track, but no the previous. If I press the next button, nothing happens, current track just keeps playing.

In the log I only see:
[288] UPNP Server: File Request: /ItemID=463767.mp3 , Range: < 0, -1>
when it goes to the start of the song. No other UPNP Server messages are in the logfile.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, MM5 is the control point and is managing the queue.
i.e. sending just the current file to the casting device.
So I suppose that prev/next buttons outside of MM5 won't work -- unless it is a remote control of MM5 player.
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

The log line
[288] UPNP Server: File Request: /ItemID=463767.mp3 , Range: < 0, -1>
shows that GoogleCast commands are received (and partially processed). Would it be possible to implement this (connect the prev and next functionality)?

Is this internal to MM5? Or that SDK you use to implement casting? Can it be implemented as a plugin (and if so, some hints on where to start for that would be nice)?